Granite Steering jerking to the right

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazel

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Mega 4x4 V3
As described. I've reset limits per manual and even when doing that the steering was jerking to the right. Like it gets there but jerks. It's fine to the left. I don't feel any physical resistance either way.

Any ideas? TIA

Yeah, it's still stock. Looks like I'll be disassembling later. I thought the servo is one output shaft but when imagining function I guess I can see how the gears for the output could be stripped on one side. Still seems odd that it goes left with no issue, presumably using the same gears during the reverse direction.

The other other option is on the transmitter change flick the steering reverse switch so when you turn the the transmitter wheel right the wheels go left , if it’s not jerky to the same side anymore it may be a faulty transmitter

Thanks for the suggestion. I've done this and it's the same (but in reverse) still only when the truck tires move to the right. I haven't disassembed yet. Tomorrow. (unless maybe there's another suggestion?)

I always keep a couple spare KS-3518 servos from Banggood on hand. Dirt cheap, metal gears, 20kg, and fast. It’s good to have a working one to swap in to diagnose a problem. ? Plus these are $15 a piece.

So swap the servo? After like 6 to 8 runs? Ok, I guess. Already swapping ESC and motor due to constant cut offs. Seems kinda crappy to have to change the servo this close out of the gate too.

I'll search the part number for servo. Will mean my sons truck is out of commission for months. (shipping). This really blows!

Wait... Is that servo a direct replacement for the mega v3?

What about the SPT5435LV-180? It's 35 kg?

So swap the servo? After like 6 to 8 runs? Ok, I guess. Already swapping ESC and motor due to constant cut offs. Seems kinda crappy to have to change the servo this close out of the gate too.

I'll search the part number for servo. Will mean my sons truck is out of commission for months. (shipping). This really blows!
Ran my Granite BLX maybe a dozen times and after the steering failing once during every pack after about 5 runs there is none anymore now after about a dozen. Plugged in another servo and it worked. Stock servo is smoked. ARRMA seems to have huge quality problems with them. Several posts here with more or less the same problems.

Call horizon hobby and make a warranty claim. In the meantime I would get on Amazon or EBay and you can have a reasonably priced and better replacement right away.

Make sure you are setting your dual rate so you are not pushing the servo to try and move the steering farther than it can go.

I always keep a couple spare KS-3518 servos from Banggood on hand. Dirt cheap, metal gears, 20kg, and fast. It’s good to have a working one to swap in to diagnose a problem. ? Plus these are $15 a piece.
Question, how would this one work being a 25T spline and the mega V3's being 23T? Would I need to get the BLX servo saver too that's 25T?

Good point. Yes as the servo saver sits on the servo horn on those I have learned.

I would ask HH to send you one of those too for warranty.
So that's going to take close to an eternity being in Canada and all. I'm getting quite frustrated with the research meterial on swapping out the servo and servo saver. Honestly got 2 of these for the kids and am down right ready to pack it all in. For the life of me, I cannot find an upgrade. Some tell me to keep a couple of the wrong ones on hand, others just tell me the servo is crappy... Well great, that helps, meanwhile my child can't play with his truck and I can't seem to find any direction on how to replace with local, or decent shipped upgrades. Seriously a "mega" bummer! Regretting my decision to go with arrma at all due to limited information. The arrma website doesn't even list the BLX servo saver as an optional item for the Mega v3. Does this mean it doesn't fit? If it does, why wouldn't they list as optional in order to increase the upgrade paths.

Also, can't seem to find an aftermarket SS also due to the very limited information. Is this really a guess and test scenario... I could be ordering, waiting, then finding out no dice, then onto the next. That will take months! Arrrrgh! I hate this truck, and the community seems not to understand this disappoint for a child... (full dad mode, lol). My son "was" so happy with his truck. Now, doesn't even want to look at it!

Can someone please help? How to I go on ebay and find a reasonably priced replacement "right away"? I can't even find out what to get and have been searching for over a day now.

So that's going to take close to an eternity being in Canada and all. I'm getting quite frustrated with the research meterial on swapping out the servo and servo saver. Honestly got 2 of these for the kids and am down right ready to pack it all in. For the life of me, I cannot find an upgrade. Some tell me to keep a couple of the wrong ones on hand, others just tell me the servo is crappy... Well great, that helps, meanwhile my child can't play with his truck and I can't seem to find any direction on how to replace with local, or decent shipped upgrades. Seriously a "mega" bummer! Regretting my decision to go with arrma at all due to limited information. The arrma website doesn't even list the BLX servo saver as an optional item for the Mega v3. Does this mean it doesn't fit? If it does, why wouldn't they list as optional in order to increase the upgrade paths.

Also, can't seem to find an aftermarket SS also due to the very limited information. Is this really a guess and test scenario... I could be ordering, waiting, then finding out no dice, then onto the next. That will take months! Arrrrgh! I hate this truck, and the community seems not to understand this disappoint for a child... (full dad mode, lol). My son "was" so happy with his truck. Now, doesn't even want to look at it!

Can someone please help? How to I go on ebay and find a reasonably priced replacement "right away"? I can't even find out what to get and have been searching for over a day now.

I get it and it sucks. Bad luck as I have had great experiences with Arrma.

I am in Canada too. Ottawa. We have others here in other parts of the country. Where are you? Where did you get the trucks? Your local hobby shop will absolutely help if you have one. I would put a cheap 25t in there and skip the servo saver to get running if needed.

These really are great trucks but it seems there are some bad servos out there in this batch. I’ll DM you right now. I’ll help. We will get you sorted.

This you can get fast.
SunFounder 20KG Servo Motor Waterproof High Torque Servo, SF3218MG Metal Gear Digital Servo, Aluminium Case, Control Angle 270° for RC Robot Cars https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VJG5QTJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_O8E8Fb10Y1YNV

Or just get one of these and use a plastic servo horn for now.
VIPMOON 20KG Digital Servo High Torque Steering Waterproof Full Metal Gear for RC Car Crawler Truck Robot, 270 Degree https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08B634MV6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_uaF8FbY93J3FF

Either way you will need to be certain to set your dual rate or end points so that the servo doesn’t move too far.

I suspect that these issues are partly calibration and that some are not centered properly and they are coming from the factory so that when you turn Max right or left the servo is pushing against the end of the steering and constantly drawing Max amps and hurting the gears and motors in the servos.

I get it and it sucks. Bad luck as I have had great experiences with Arrma.

I am in Canada too. Ottawa. We have others here in other parts of the country. Where are you? Where did you get the trucks? Your local hobby shop will absolutely help if you have one. I would put a cheap 25t in there and skip the servo saver to get running if needed.

These really are great trucks but it seems there are some bad servos out there in this batch. I’ll DM you right now. I’ll help. We will get you sorted.
How do I skip the SS? Use a fixed servo horn? Wouldn't that run the risk of breaking steering parts? (or just servo I guess, hence SS, lol) given an upgraded servo with metal gears should be better regardless if foregoing the SS?

I'm in Edmonton. Bought both trucks at hobbywholesale.com locally.

Again, thank you tremendously for your understanding my frustration. (dad mode, lol)

Question, how would this one work being a 25T spline and the mega V3's being 23T? Would I need to get the BLX servo saver too that's 25T?
I have the same problem atm. The spline (T) is labeled under the servo saver. You seem to have one in 23T, just like I do in my new BLX V3 Granite. I have a hunch that ARRMA fits all newest trucks with 23T instead of 25T. That way they bind you to having to buy a Spektrum servo for replacement.
If you make a warranty claim, they will definately send you a new Spektrum servo with 23T which will probably break just as quick as the first one.

After finding out that all good, cheap replacement servos are in 25T, I ordered a servo saver for the V2 of the Granite BLX in 25T that also fits in the steering of the V3. I'm fortunate to have several sturdy 25T servos at hand. Now I just need to wait for the new servo saver in 25T to switch the servo for one with 25T.
In Germany, all 25T servo savers are sold out! I had to order one from the neighboring country of Austria. I guess so many people have problems with their servos on the V3 and had the same idea I did.

You probably need the part no.

AR340151​

If the one you have now in 23T looks like this (exept the color being black maybe), then go for it. This is the one in 25T and I found out it's listed for the Mega 4x4 V2. The one listed for the Mega 4x4 V3

arrma-ar340151-servo-saver-25t.jpg

Last edited:
This you can get fast.
SunFounder 20KG Servo Motor Waterproof High Torque Servo, SF3218MG Metal Gear Digital Servo, Aluminium Case, Control Angle 270° for RC Robot Cars https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VJG5QTJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_O8E8Fb10Y1YNV

Or just get one of these and use a plastic servo horn for now.
VIPMOON 20KG Digital Servo High Torque Steering Waterproof Full Metal Gear for RC Car Crawler Truck Robot, 270 Degree https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08B634MV6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_uaF8FbY93J3FF

Either way you will need to be certain to set your dual rate or end points so that the servo doesn’t move too far.

I suspect that these issues are partly calibration and that some are not centered properly and they are coming from the factory so that when you turn Max right or left the servo is pushing against the end of the steering and constantly drawing Max amps and hurting the gears and motors in the servos.
Great, those are fast! I'm not sure I fully get the servo horn vs saver yet. Both the links appear to come with servo horns so not sure I understand why the vipmoon you suggested to use a plastic horn. I think I'm missing something.
I have the same problem atm. The spline (T) is labeled under the servo saver. You seem to have one in 23T, just like I do in my new BLX V3 Granite. I have a hunch that ARRMA fits all newest trucks with 23T instead of 25T like they had earlier versions. That way they bind you to having to buy a Spektrum servo for replacement.
If you make a warranty claim, they will definately send you a new Spektrum servo with 23T which will probably break just as quick as the first one.

After finding out that all good, cheap replacement servos are in 25T, I ordered a servo saver for the V2 of the Granite BLX in 25T that also fits in the steering of the V3. I'm fortunate to have several sturdy 25T servos at hand. Now I just need to wait for the new servo saver in 25T to switch the servo for one with 25T.
In Germany, all 25T servo savers are sold out! I had to order one from the neighboring country of Austria. I guess so many people have problems with their servos on the V3 and had the same idea I did.
So the red 25T (https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR340151) fits the mega v3 550? Are there any aftermarket that will fit to your knowledge?

So the red 25T (https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR340151) fits the mega v3 550? Are there any aftermarket that will fit to your knowledge?
I can't guarantee that, but if the one you have is black and looks the same, then you can go with the red one and a 25T servo. ARRMA states that they have chosen different colors to distinguish between 23T (black) and 25T (red). I don't know of any other aftermarket brands that will fit to the steering linkage of the Granites, sorry.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back