Big Rock Steering Not working on my Big Rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAGER RC

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
My Big Rock 4x4 3s BLX Just stopped steering this morning. I drove it 2 days ago and when I turned it on this morning it just wouldn’t steer. The throttle is working fine, and there is no dirt, grass, or gravel anywhere I can see. Any idea of what is wrong? And what I should do to fix it?

What is broken? You’re just driving along and suddenly your RC car or truck stops. And there’s that other all-time favorite, “It was working the last time I put it away.” Tracking down what is really causing the problem can be a nightmare in itself. It’s time for Troubleshooting Secrets for Your RC Car!

Many problems are straightforward. For instance, your throttle operation stops or your steering stops. Those are usually simple to troubleshoot, but experienced troubleshooters cover these basics before getting too crazy with buying replacements.

SIMPLE SERVO DIAGNOSIS
Servo stoppage is typically related to the servo being damaged directly; it could be gear damage or a burned up servo motor. However, other factors can also make the servo quit so it never hurts to cover your basics.

The simplest way is to plug in a second servo to make sure the ESC or receiver battery pack is still giving the receiver enough juice to power the servo. Make sure it keeps working after that in case there is something malfunctioning in the power system to the receiver, whether it’s the ESC, BEC or the receiver battery in a nitro vehicle.

Often, high power servos can overload a BEC or receiver battery and cause the servo to stop working when the servo itself is perfectly fine. Many gremlin haunted users have installed a brand new servo only to have the mystery servo stoppage return on the very next run. This is usually tied directly to a lack of voltage in the ESC’s internal

On the bottom of the chassis there are screws marked with a dot next to them, those screws need to be removed.. as well as the screw that is inside the long oblong hole..

The module will then come out of the rig as one big unit..

Remove the screws that hold the esc to the module and remove it as well as the box lid.. remove the steering servo lead from the rx.. (channel 1)...

Remove the 4 screws that retain the servo and 1 screw retaining the red servo saver.. reinstall the new servo in reverse order.. but before you do familiarize yourself with below..

With servo installed, and plugged in, (black wire facing outside the rx.) Plug in a battery, turn on the tx and esc... center your steering trim...

Install the red saver with the arrow, facing the arrow on the module case.. if it does not line up perfectly use the trim knob on the tx to line the arrows up.. install your screw for the saver and reinstall the module...?
The latter part of my instructions post is actually molded into the module on the bottom... ✌

Welp, my two cents won't matter here but have you checked the servo connectors in the radio box? Also, when you get the new servo (because that's probably going to be what happens) make sure you are setting the dual rate/end points so you aren't over stressing your servo.

Setting the steering rate will prevent the servo from trying to keep going even when it physically can't.

My Big Rock 4x4 3s BLX Just stopped steering this morning. I drove it 2 days ago and when I turned it on this morning it just wouldn’t steer. The throttle is working fine, and there is no dirt, grass, or gravel anywhere I can see. Any idea of what is wrong? And what I should do to fix it?
I have had the same problem have tried contacting the model shop i brought it from and also contacted arrma who directed me to horizon hobby in Germany just waiting now to hear back from them on what to

Same/similar problem - my steering seems fully responsive to the left, but turns right with very slow, jittery motion...new to this hobby so not sure what’s going on (any ideas for the more experienced members?) but will investigate and try and work it out.

Same/similar problem - my steering seems fully responsive to the left, but turns right with very slow, jittery motion...new to this hobby so not sure what’s going on (any ideas for the more experienced members?) but will investigate and try and work it out.
You have the same problem as almost everyone here seems to have had. Your servo is most likely broken. The stock servos are no good. If you have the V3, then you'll need a sturdy servo which comes with a spline of 25 teeth (25T). The stock one on the V3s has 23T. Problem being, you can't get good replacements with 23T.
So, you'll need to get a 25T servo saver with the new servo. Use the red one of the V1-V2 with 25T. If yours is black, you have 23T. The red servo savers seem hard to come by atm.
You can read countless posts here on which servo to get and what to do. Be sure to set the endpoints of your steering with the transmitter. razorrc has a good video on his channel on how to do that.
Good luck!

Ah man, thank you so much for the detailed reply! Top Man! I’ll get me hunting on then for a better servo! Thanks again, man!

Ah man, thank you so much for the detailed reply! Top Man! I’ll get me hunting on then for a better servo! Thanks again, man!
Glad to have helped. If you want more detail, just read up on some other threads to the topic (I have one myself). Check out razorrc's channel on youtube. There is tons of help for newbies. I've profited greatly from his knowledge too.

Update. Modelsport sent me a new spektrum 9kg servo. That solved the issue. So, unlike what they claimed, they servo must have been broken. I think i installed it the wrong way round though, as i had to switch the steering button to reverse it on the controller. I presume thats not an issue though. Works fine but once this breaks, i will deffo upgrade to an aftermarket servo as this one isnt quite as good as the 7kg one that came inside the car. My first time ever fixing something though lol

My big rock does the same thing turns great to the left stutters hard to the right

My big rock does the same thing turns great to the left stutters hard to the right
Its really distressing when it happens but many of us noobs have been there. I imagine your Big Rock is still under warranty. So, just go back to the shop you got it from, call or email them and they will have a warranty solution for this. Theyll be all to familiar with the problem.
Having gone through this myself, I'll repeat what Ive said a few times and that is my reccomendation is that you don't accept an identical replacement under warranty. Ask them for something better and pay the difference.
Servos are not difficult to fit. Just patiently follow the step by step instructions in a video like this one. don't worry that its for a granite - its exactly the same in a Big Rock -
Update. Modelsport sent me a new spektrum 9kg servo. That solved the issue. So, unlike what they claimed, they servo must have been broken. I think i installed it the wrong way round though, as i had to switch the steering button to reverse it on the controller. I presume thats not an issue though. Works fine but once this breaks, i will deffo upgrade to an aftermarket servo as this one isnt quite as good as the 7kg one that came inside the car. My first time ever fixing something though lol
its not that you installed it the wrong way round. Some are just wired one way rather than the other. Glad you got it sorted. Ive had good experiences with ModelSport so pleased they resolved it for you.

Welp, my two cents won't matter here but have you checked the servo connectors in the radio box? Also, when you get the new servo (because that's probably going to be what happens) make sure you are setting the dual rate/end points so you aren't over stressing your servo.

Setting the steering rate will prevent the servo from trying to keep going even when it physically can't.
Thank you. I ran across this, and my steering servo was unplugged.
All back to normal.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back