Notorious Steering question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttrap

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Just opened up my new nortorious. Going to be installing the servo mount. And a few other things. I noticed that if you try and turn the wheels by hand the servo arm wont move at all. So I went thru the set endpoints and the servo moves the wheels when powered on fine. But I still cant get the servo arm to move when trying to turn the wheels. don't have this issue with any other cars I have ran.

Thanks I assumed something was binding it up. I have moved some parts around and things seem okay now.

I ran into this yesterday as well. Turned out that the post with the servo saver had tightened up. I released the tension by backing off the screw and everything was fine. Took the steering assembly right out so I could replace bushings with bearings. When complete, I re-tightened just enough to make sure there was no binding

Yeah I played with mine some more last night. My post was actually too loose so it was allowing it to slip. So I tightened mine up a bit and everything seemed good to go.

Well I finally got to get this thing out for a drive. Wow what a blast. I need to figure out how to keep the saver from loosing itself. Only drove for maybe 15mins. And when I checked the nut has backed all the way snug to the chassis again. Think I might try some loctite on it.

To be honest, it's probably not a great idea to be turning a servo by the output shaft when off power. A servo is geared so that the motor can spin fast while the output can spin slow. So, by forcing the arm to move when it's off, your forcing all the gears to stress in reverse of their intent.

Yeah I found the problem to be in the bell crank. It was set so loose it kept turning before the servo could even engage. Not sure if the nut worked loose in transit or if someone didnt put it together properly. After I thought I tightened it last night I ran today for 10 mins. The nut had worked itself completely off. So I had to take the whole setup out and tighten by hand. Put some locktite on it and was even thinking of adding another nut to keep it from falling off again.

I could replace bushings with bearings
Hey J, how important is this and what's the bearing's size to replace these bushings ? I've seen this in a few posts but I dunno how important it is or when is this needed. Thanks !

Hey J, how important is this and what's the bearing's size to replace these bushings ? I've seen this in a few posts but I dunno how important it is or when is this needed. Thanks !
I do it on any truck I can. The bushings wear over time and leaves you very sloppy steering. Also puts more drag/load on the servo. My buddies talion still had the bushings after he ran it for 6 months or so. You could move the posts side to side over 1 mm.

6x10x3:
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR340067

4 of these: https://www.fasteddybearings.com/6x10x3-rubber-sealed-bearing-mr106-2rs/

What @olds97_lss said?

The servo savers on both my outcast and kraton get loose all the time. Loctite works for a little while though. The one on my typhon I never even look at it, doesn't have any issues. Must be pretty common.

I tried putting the c type shock collars from my Traxxas as a permanent space. Caused the whole assembly to bind and lose steering. I think that aluminum steering assembly might be a necessity if someone does come up with a permanent fix.

The servo savers on both my outcast and kraton get loose all the time. Loctite works for a little while though. The one on my typhon I never even look at it, doesn't have any issues. Must be pretty common.
I tried red locktite on mine just recently. Will see how that holds. Before, I used the blue gel locktite. It lasted 4-5 months, then let go on me when I was running in wet grass.

I've had many trucks over the years and this is the only one that does this. I'm not sure what it is about the design that causes it to happen. Perhaps the servo saver is splitting a lot and doing it's job, which I didn't have on previous vehicles?

I like the idea a poster has about putting shock spacers under the nut to keep it in place. It’s a great idea and I have bags of them around here from my emaxx lol. Going to try and find one that is just right. I’m sorry I don’t remember who it was to give him/her credit...
Jim

I like the idea a poster has about putting shock spacers under the nut to keep it in place. It’s a great idea and I have bags of them around here from my emaxx lol. Going to try and find one that is just right. I’m sorry I don’t remember who it was to give him/her credit...
Jim
I tried that system with my Traxxas collars but you'll run into an issue. That saver nut keeps backing off like a ratchet. Once it hits the shock collar, it just keeps winding down until it starts to lift the post. It caused my steering to bind after just a short run. I put loctite on mine the other night, when I replaced the bushings with bearings. Hoping that this works, cause if it doesn't, someone needs to come up with a better solution.

I tried that system with my Traxxas collars but you'll run into an issue. That saver nut keeps backing off like a ratchet. Once it hits the shock collar, it just keeps winding down until it starts to lift the post. It caused my steering to bind after just a short run. I put loctite on mine the other night, when I replaced the bushings with bearings. Hoping that this works, cause if it doesn't, someone needs to come up with a better solution.
If the red loctite doesn't hold... I'll take a chisel to the threads after pushing the nut up above, then mar the threads up where I want it and back it back down. I get annoyed when things become disagreeable. :mad:

? Thanks buddy on my way to remove my traxxas collars right now

? Thanks buddy on my way to remove my traxxas collars right now
Hi @Duiga. I don't think you completely read my post. The problem can't be solved with the shock collars. The nut will continue to wind it's way down, and when it hits the collar, it's start lifting the steering assembly. It works like a ratchet and never stops tightening down on the collar. You need to find a way to secure the servo nut with Loctite or teflon tape. It seemed okay in theory, but It backfired almost immediately.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back