Notorious Steering question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
olds97_lss's idea has merit, until you actually need to remove the nut. :) Can it come off the top if necessary? I haven't taken my 'saver that far apart yet to look for myself. I 'm thinking maybe a pin or setscrew through the side so the stock nut can't hit the chassis. Then you might be able to use the shock collars for fine adjustment.

olds97_lss's idea has merit, until you actually need to remove the nut. :) Can it come off the top if necessary? I haven't taken my 'saver that far apart yet to look for myself. I 'm thinking maybe a pin or setscrew through the side so the stock nut can't hit the chassis. Then you might be able to use the shock collars for fine adjustment.
If it does need to be changed using the @olds97_lss idea, just replace the whole thing with one from JRC. Dirt cheap at $10.50

Hi @Duiga. I don't think you completely read my post. The problem can't be solved with the shock collars. The nut will continue to wind it's way down, and when it hits the collar, it's start lifting the steering assembly. It works like a ratchet and never stops tightening down on the collar. You need to find a way to secure the servo nut with Loctite or teflon tape. It seemed okay in theory, but It backfired almost immediately.

Sorry for the mis understanding, I read and understand quite well friend. I stating that I will go and remove the traxxas shock collars that I have been using since you stated that it only bind things up more.

It was my sons idea on the shock collars, my notorious has not had any issue with the servo saver but his outcast has. It’s been well over a month that he put the shock collar in, no problems since.

It was my sons idea on the shock collars, my notorious has not had any issue with the servo saver but his outcast has. It’s been well over a month that he put the shock collar in, no problems since.
He must have the "unicorn" where the nut stays put. Maybe I'll thread lock and put the collar as backup?

Sorry for the mis understanding, I read and understand quite well friend. I stating that I will go and remove the traxxas shock collars that I have been using since you stated that it only bind things up more.
See, I thought you were running to take them off your Traxxas, and felt responsible. Now if we can all brainstorm and figure this thing out once and for all

Solution for servo saver nut backing off ——- plumbers tape.

I had the same problem with the nut backing off and the technician at my local hobby shop said he uses plumbers tape to prevent the nut from backing down. I tried it and it worked but I did it wrong. I took the assembly apart put the nut on then wrapped the tape several times below the nut preventing it from backing down. The. Technician said I did it wrong. I was suppose to take the nut off first then wrap the tape around the threads, Then screw the nut on over the tape as high as I want it.

If you try plumbers tape let us know how it goes. I did it and it worked for me.

Something with safety wire would work if you could find something to anchor it to.

Last time I measured (last week) the nut was 4mm apart from chassis where I was recommended to have it 5mm.

However, today after bashing for a quite a while (two packs) I feel it's a little bit lower. I know it's hard to see on these pic but could you guys take your best guess if this is too low ? maybe by looking the spring as well. If not that's okay, tough to take pics when everything is assembled.

IMG_20190126_163908.jpg

Last time I measured (last week) the nut was 4mm apart from chassis where I was recommended to have it 5mm.

However, today after bashing for a quite a while (two packs) I feel it's a little bit lower. I know it's hard to see on these pic but could you guys take your best guess if this is too low ? maybe by looking the spring as well. If not that's okay, tough to take pics when everything is assembled.

View attachment 28114
Hard to tell from that angle, but looks like it went down.

View attachment 28114
I know if mine moves or not cause I added a 4mm shock spacer between the nut and the chassis. If the nut goes down, it will tighten up on the spacer. If the spacer still moves freely, my loctite is doing its jobs to keep the nut in place.

This is a great tip, what are the specs on that spacer and where to buy it ? like home depot or ACE ?

I was wondering what's better for the nut: loctite or plumbers tape ?

Thank you !

This is a great tip, what are the specs on that spacer and where to buy it ? like home depot or ACE ?

I was wondering what's better for the nut: loctite or plumbers tape ?

Thank you !
Those are actually Traxxas shock spacers, and you can get them cheap at any hobby store. They come in different thicknesses, so you can play with size. They are the exact diameter needed, and came off a Slash 4x4 stock shock. The one in the other pic is 4mm, so if it's still moving freely, I'm right around 5mm for the gap. I chose loctite, but I'm sure plumbers tape will work. The loctite can be done while steering is still on the truck. Plumbers tape would mean disassembly.

Attachments

• 20181226_010929.jpg
    20181226_010929.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 37
Thank you again, I just remembered I have some spare shock spacers from my AE 1/10 RC10T4.3, so I will check if those fit first, if not I will get those you said at my HLS

Those are actually Traxxas shock spacers, and you can get them cheap at any hobby store. They come in different thicknesses, so you can play with size. They are the exact diameter needed, and came off a Slash 4x4 stock shock. The one in the other pic is 4mm, so if it's still moving freely, I'm right around 5mm for the gap. I chose loctite, but I'm sure plumbers tape will work. The loctite can be done while steering is still on the truck. Plumbers tape would mean disassembly.

Hello again Notorious J

What do you think of this ? I added two shock spacers with a total of 4mm and 1 mm of gap. Does it look okay based on your recommendation ?

I will check after every bashing session if they still move freely or if the nut is coming down. If it does, then I will need to apply some red loctite and check again.

Thank you !

Hello again Notorious J

What do you think of this ? I added two shock spacers with a total of 4mm and 1 mm of gap. Does it look okay based on your recommendation ?

I will check after every bashing session if they still move freely or if the nut is coming down. If it does, then I will need to apply some red loctite and check again.

Thank you !

View attachment 29274
Looks perfect. Watch it carefully. If the nut comes down, it will tighten down on the spacer, and you'll start to lose steering. If the nut stays in place, your golden. Keep that loctite handy?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back