Steering servo shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just revive this one as it has proven to be very helpful.

I have to admit, it's getting a little old. 4 times out since this summer, and 3 times something happened to put my son's 2014 Fury on the shelf. A burnt motor, broken lower chassis and shock mounts and this time the servo has stripped it's gears. I am sure my son is pretty rough on it, and it is taking it's toll now. He has been right here with me as I take it apart and put it back together.

Thank you to Skaxis and the respondents to this thread as it helped me narrow down the issue more quickly. Disassembly only took a few minutes because it was all so fresh in my mind after rebuilding the front end. With a little foresight, maybe I should have replaced the servo then.

I am going to file a claim because I feel if enough claims are filed, maybe they will do the right thing and put a higher quality servo in these cars. I realize it's probably a cost control issue, but I would pay $10 more for something like metal gears in the servo.

At any rate, the good news is nothing else seems to be broken so I went ahead and ordered a ADS-7. Parts will arrive on Thursday and hopefully we can get one more run in before the holiday break is over.

I will put the ADS-5 they will probably send me in my spare parts box in the event there is a problem with my younger son's Fury and I can fix it more quickly.

I have to say, despite my frustration regarding the string of broken parts, that they stand by their product.

I emailed them a description of the problem, pictures and my sales receipt at 9 PM PST last night. 12 hours later I received an email saying parts were on order.

8 months with the ADS-1?
You win for the longest functioning stock servo ;)
Our ADS-5 and ADS-7 did not last more than 5 or 6 rides.
Plastic gears are useless on these trucks.

We have among other the same savox servo. The height difference is no issue. I have posted some pictures here on the forum, including how to deal with the lever running into the bracket.

I have dismantled and re-assembled the steering servo and rack several times, but getting so much parts of is not necessary. But indeed the front end has to come off.

Mind posting where you posted about your savox servo mods? I stuffed a SC-0251MG in my fury and it seems it's already stripped a gear it locks up when turning right and the servo loads up causing me to lose power to the motor. Sorry to thread jack but I figured this keeps our forums clean lol

Mind posting where you posted about your savox servo mods?

Did you click on the link in my previous post?
It is not a link to the servo, but actually to one of my topics here on the forum.
I have a different servo in, and so far so good.

Unfortunately, I had posted a detailed (with pictures) how to stuff in the savox and how to adjust the servo throw...on the official Arrma forum. And that has been removed by Arrma itself.
Wish they told it in advance, so I could have copied some topics to here :(

We got it back together and ran our Fury today without breakage. I like the ADS7 over the 5. We'll see how long this lasts.

It is not the servo itself, but the "M" missing in it's name!
The M stands for metal gears, the ADS-7 has the same plastic gears as the ADS-5, but a bit more power/torque.
You can actually exchange gears.

Luckily there is an Arrma upgrade kit for sale to change the plastic gears of your servo for metal ones! A few here on the forum already did that mod.

Found some photos I used in my Savox SW 0230MG upgrade post:

Savox_SW-0230MG_upgrade01.jpg

What I meant here, note that you can move those black block also in the direction of the arrows. This way you can make the servo fit snugly. It should not be possible to move the servo, once the servo cover is put back.

Savox_SW-0230MG_upgrade02.jpg

Here another detail how to line up those black blocks. You can change their position by the two screws on top.

Savox_SW-0230MG_upgrade03.jpg

Here next to the (stripped) ADS-7

Thanks for the info. I did buy the 7M because I wanted to avoid the plastic gears again. My mistake for not including the "M" in the part number.

Arrma AR390136 ADS-7M V2 Waterproof Servo, Red, 6.5 kg https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RDEIHOC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_v5de6PM9ImdDD

They are sending me a replacement 5, but thats just going to be an emergency spare. Will the metal gears work in the 5? I already tossed the whole thing - maybe I will get a metal gear kit for it if thats possible. I see they can be had for around $15.

Last edited:
Will the metal gears work in the 5? I already tossed the whole thing - maybe I will get a metal gear kit for it if thats possible. I see they can be had for around $15.

I have not tried, at the time the kit was out of stock. Went straight for the Savox servos.

One would assume they will fit.
You could try, since opening the servo's is not that difficult.

I have not tried, at the time the kit was out of stock. Went straight for the Savox servos.

One would assume they will fit.
You could try, since opening the servo's is not that difficult.

Thanks! I may order the metal gear kit and try it. Worst case I have a spare set of metal gears for the 7M.

Hey Folks,
Since this Morning, my servo isn't neutral when i Switch on my truck. it's getting even worser when The radio system is switched on

Hey Folks,
Since this Morning, my servo isn't neutral when i Switch on my truck. it's getting even worser when The radio system is switched on

Can you be more specific?

When the truck is switched off -> servo is neutral?
When switched on (always first switch your transmitter on!) -> servo goed off neutral?

after i turned the wheels in a neutral position when the device is switched off, then it steers left, when i switch both devices on ( transmitter an ESC )
no matter what is switched on first

Ok, thanks for your swift reply!

So the car is switched off, you turn the wheels neutral by hand?
Than switch on, the servo goes off neutral, and stays like that?

This is expected, normal behavior!
Do not worry.

What you should do is:

1. Switch everything on (make sure the rear wheels at least can turn freely in air for safety reasons)
  2. Not sure which Tx you have, but look for the dail which says "ST-TRIM", which means Steering Trim (on the ATX100 you have to open the hatch on top)
  3. Now slowly turn the ST-TRIM in such way your front wheels (do not touch the steering wheel on the transmitter) are parallel again.
  4. Carefully (slowly) turn the steering wheel full left, than full right. And while doing this pay careful attention to the steering servo in your car, if the servo arm is not jamming somewhere. if so, you have the "ST-D/R" dail to compensate the maximum left/right amplitude or way
This is the way you trim your steering.
If this is not sufficient, your steering trim is way off.
And that can only happen when you switch a servo, have disassembled the whole steering system (for maintenance purposes) or you have serious damage somewhere in the steering system.

Let us know if this solved your issue!

Thanks for your fast response.

I already tried to trim the wheels via the Transmitter. Now I dissambled the Front, took of the arm on the Servo and re-mounted it on the top position like it is displayed in the manual. (switched everything on an made a few steering left and rigth befor e with dissambled arm)
After reposition the Front everything seems normal now.

TRIM on my Transmitter is in a neutral position.

Really strange, because the only thing i changed yesterday in the evening was the distance on my frontwheels because of the "duck-stance"

Thanks for your fast response.
Really strange, because the only thing i changed yesterday in the evening was the distance on my frontwheels because of the "duck-stance"

Ah, you with the duck-stance ;)

This is fairly normal if you changed that problem.
I think the previous owner put the servo lever on wrong.

Luckily you are somebody who reads manuals, so you did a good job solving this issue yourself!

well, it wasn't a great success. after a few turn on/offs, the problem returned. was outside for some speed running and smashed the boardwalk.

now its time for some rebuild :confused:

smashed the left rear-tire or better to say the shock an some kind of metallstick whick holds the whole system :( (google say HingePin)
And the Turnbuckle looks like the tower of Pisa :eek:

Last edited:
Bad luck!

Sounds like a faulty servo indeed. It could be that a few teeth are of.
What kind of servo is it? Brand and number?

Otherwise the potentiometer of the servo could be faulty.
But I think the broken teeth scenario is more likely, given the servo is a non-metal gear version like the Arrma ADS-5 and ADS-7

It's the stock Servo for the Fury BLX. I don't know the exact Model.

Any Suggestions for some spare Parts i will need? I have to order some new Turnbuckles and the HingePin

It's the stock Servo for the Fury BLX. I don't know the exact Model.

Any Suggestions for some spare Parts i will need? I have to order some new Turnbuckles and the HingePin

I bet you have a 2013 model (with the full black shocks and aluminium sideplates), which came stock (BLX) with the ADS-7.
Later models got the ADS-7M, equal but the Metal gears.

I would advice the above shown blue Savox servo. It is affordable, more powerful and a bit faster than the stock servo, waterproof and metal geared!

For the parts I would have a look im your manual for the exact same part numbers.
As you live in Europe too, we do not have (yet?) the STRC upgrade parts available :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back