Typhon Steering Servo Side Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malice

Doing all kinds of messed up stuff.
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Typhon 6s
Has anyone else swapped their servo to the right side (facing the car)? If so, how did you get rid of the binding between the balls ends closest to the bellcranks?

I've been running it with reduced endpoints to not bind, which is great for going straight, but not that great for turning. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The reason I moved the servo the the other side to begin with was to give myself more ESC options.

john

Attachments

• 2020-07-24 (1).jpg
    2020-07-24 (1).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 110
I don't see where your problem is. I have not done this. But I have seen this done for the reason you stated. In theory, the steering geometry is asymmetrical and easily converts to the left hand side(DS). Does your servo arm have full sweep as it was in it's stock position? Does the Rx box interfere with that?
Did you install the servo mount in the correct position. It must be equidistant and opposed identical to the stock position from chassis centerline.

Last edited:
Hopefully one of those people will chime in. On the v4, there is no way you can just simple switch the cranks to the opposite and not get binding beyond 80%. Unless they equip these models with different hardware, it just doesn't work. The problem is that once assembled, the ends of the tie rods clearly interfere with the movement of the aluminum steering rack. Both tire rods that connect the steering linkages to the steering rack bind on the curved arms of of the plastic bellcranks. Were these people you are referring to using a v4 or perhaps a aluminum aftermarket bellcrank setup?

If you look at the servo saver that is normally positioned on the right side of the car (if you were standing behind the car and it was pointing away from you) it is curved to the right. When you switch it to the other side its' still curved to the right and you cannot change that because the servo saver will not work upside down. The only way that I have been able to get it to work is by installing shims under the m3X8X12 pivot ball prior to attaching it to the steering rack. That potentially, at least in my mind may create other issues.

hey did you get this figured out? I was trying to do this with my kraton cause I wanted to fit a max 5 in the standard esc position.. I am very frustrated right now, I swear I did this when I initially got my infraction and ive seen people such as the guy with all the speed run records raz shif or something.

someone help what are we fumbling, how do you flip the steering mechanism so servo can be on the other side without issue?

You can't. Not without modifying the steering plate. Swapping posts or turning them upside down doesn't work.

Has anyone else swapped their servo to the right side (facing the car)? If so, how did you get rid of the binding between the balls ends closest to the bellcranks?

I've been running it with reduced endpoints to not bind, which is great for going straight, but not that great for turning. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The reason I moved the servo the the other side to begin with was to give myself more ESC options.

john
Hey guys. I’m new to the forum and decided to join after reading about Malice’s dilemma. It’s actually a very easy and simple fix. You will need 3mm screws 15mm in length and some 4mm hex nuts you probably have lying around some where. I don’t know the part numbers or correct terms for the parts so hopefully I’ll be able to upload some pics. Hope this helps.
Ps. If you take a look at the last pic, you’ll see I used the top hole not bottom for screws.

B48C54F4-EAED-4734-9FF1-B58BF9A4D1AA.jpeg

89EC609A-8047-4D62-A3FD-BA34F89E91EA.jpeg

664D7E6F-D6DC-470D-88BD-2F6E2AC5441E.jpeg

F5BA242D-68E8-47B3-8A25-A74EF592FC3B.jpeg

Stretch Typhon build with Max5 TP 4070cm 2200kv

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 54
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back