Steering Servo - What is a GLITCH BUSTER and do I need one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Hi

Another newbie question. This application or servo is for my Losi DB Pro buggy. I replaced the stock Spektrum servo with a DS3230 30KG. The DS models I have used in all my Arrma rig and no issues.

The issue I have here is that the DS3230 is too tall! well over 40+ mm in height. Being so high the arm to the servo horn to the bell housing just too tall and need a lot of nylon washers to make it work to my comfort.

I looked at these two servos that are at 40mm or lower in height and close to the stock so the arm will be correct...making the swap easy.

Savox 1258TG that comes with a glitch buster I do not know what that is:
https://www.amazon.com/1258TG-GLITC...d=1&keywords=Savox+1258&qid=1617478051&sr=8-9

Savox SB 2271SG - Others with the Losi got this one could be overkill but fits in just right no issues
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OKVQV8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What is a glitch buster?
Do I need to use or install the glitch buster with this Losi?
What are your thoughts?

@SrC @gotnitro

^^^ This.
The Cap just Plugs into Any open Rx. or Bind port.
I use a Savox 1230sg in my Tekno MT and that servo also came with the Glitch buster. It was simple enough to install. So I left it in there.
But my research on that SA1230 shows that it is a power hog like many Savox servos.. That's why it came with the Glitch buster for this reason. I see many Savox's do come with them to prevent RX brownouts. Sudden but temporary loss of control. I think some ESC BEC's can't handle High demand servos. So the Glitch buster is like a band-aid approach.
I would try it without a Glitch buster first.
You will know if you have a brownout. Basically you lose Rx signal briefly. I experienced a brownout several times with an AE RTR ProSC 4x4 when I upgraded the servo to some generic DS3220. ( not much of a power hog at all) The Stock ESC BEC was just garbage IMHO. I changed out the ESC and never needed a Glitch Buster. But that was my next step had it still been an issue.
I would try it without a Glitch buster first. If the Servo comes with one.
I don't feel the Glitch buster is some free bonus gift. It is given for a reason. For Potential brownouts IMHO. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
That "glitch buster" is a simple capacitor and in my opinion useless for its small capacity.
I've used them with nitro setups with a 2/3A 6V NiMH powering the receiver/servo's. Without it on my revo with a savox 0231 in it, the receiver reboots every time I turn. With it, it doesn't reboot. I was surprised it helped, but it did.

I've used them with nitro setups with a 2/3A 6V NiMH powering the receiver/servo's. Without it on my revo with a savox 0231 in it, the receiver reboots every time I turn. With it, it doesn't reboot. I was surprised it helped, but it did.
I think you needed a capacitor in your nitro because your NiMh pack wasn't enought to power the savox so the voltage drop and the receiver rebooted!
Nowdays I would suggest you a small LiFe or LiPo pack to power your receiver/servos.

These days a capacitor is useless because the majority of ESC's becs are capable of 6 and more amps.

^^^ This.
The Cap just Plugs into Any open Rx. or Bind port.
I use a Savox 1230sg in my Tekno MT and that servo also came with the Glitch buster. It was simple enough to install. So I left it in there.
But my research on that SA1230 shows that it is a power hog like many Savox servos.. That's why it came with the Glitch buster for this reason. I see many Savox's do come with them to prevent RX brownouts. Sudden but temporary loss of control. I think some ESC BEC's can't handle High demand servos. So the Glitch buster is like a band-aid approach.
I would try it without a Glitch buster first.
You will know if you have a brownout. Basically you lose Rx signal briefly. I experienced a brownout several times with an AE RTR ProSC 4x4 when I upgraded the servo to some generic DS3220. ( not much of a power hog at all) The Stock ESC BEC was just garbage IMHO. I changed out the ESC and never needed a Glitch Buster. But that was my next step had it still been an issue.
I would try it without a Glitch buster first. If the Servo comes with one.
I don't feel the Glitch buster is some free bonus gift. It is given for a reason. For Potential brownouts IMHO. 🤷‍♂️
A "glitch buster', which is a parallel combination of standard capacitors is highly recommended as they have very few cons to all the pros. They are NOT a power hog as once a capacitor charges, it does not require recharging until a small voltage is released out to handle the spike.

A "glitch buster', which is a parallel combination of standard capacitors is highly recommended as they have very few cons to all the pros. They are NOT a power hog as once a capacitor charges, it does not require recharging until a small voltage is released out to handle the spike.
A Glitch Buster is one Single Cap.
Parallel wired banks of caps (Cap Pack) are generally used for the ESC power circuit (Batt +/-) to prevent high Ripple current under high load setups. This can also prevent ESC Amp cuts at extreme load in some cases. (Speed Running)
A GB is designed to plug into the Rx, to prevent Signal Glitches (Rx signal drops) that result from a High Voltage load prevalent with Power Hog Servos which put a heavy load on the BEC.
When the BEC load exceeds its output specs, the Rx drops Freq. signal output momentarily. Loss of Tx/Rx control results. Usually intermittently.
99% of rigs won't need a Glitch buster Cap, if either the ESC's BEC circuit has plenty of overhead, or the Servo Is NOT a power Hog, either at idle volts or Torque Stall current.
There are No Pros to a Cap in the BEC circuit if you don't need one in the first place. A properly setup and matched set of electrics should not need a GB in the first place. If you do, you have issues that should be addressed. It is not good to overload an ESC's BEC needlessly and use a GB as a band-aid.
Many Savox servos are known power hogs.
If you have a decent ESC, it's BEC current will handle most servos.
The best way to solve a BEC/Rx glitch issue is to use a UBEC.( separate BEC) Especially with power/current hungry Servos. The Crawler Crowd do this. Their Servos are always reaching max Stalling loads.
Rx Signal power takes first priority in any setup. Any other device in the BEC is secondary. And servos are usually the culprit power hogs.
:cool:

Last edited:
Lol. Before there were “glitch busters” there were just servos and did what they are supposed to do. I own 3 1258’s and none of mine came with a gb. Must be a new fad..
I agree. But some newer servos are power hogs and just inefficient and draw more current than specs elude to. Some just wreak havoc on the BEC.
This is not common. Not the norm. But it can happen. Been there.
Look at the Spektrum RTR servos of recent. They get temperamental and draw too much current, they overheat and overload/ruin the ESC's BEC and many lose Rx/Tx signal in the process. Not to say a GB is the answer at all, but this scenario can ruin an otherwise good ESC's BEC circuit and lose control of your rig. Carnage results.
If you overextend and bind up your ST endpoints, that is also one way to overload your BEC and brick the servo in the process.

I agree. But some newer servos are power hogs and just inefficient and draw more current than specs elude to. Some just wreak havoc on the BEC.
This is not common. Not the norm. But it can happen. Been there.
Look at the Spektrum RTR servos of recent. They get temperamental and draw too much current, they overheat and overload/ruin the ESC's BEC and many lose Rx/Tx signal in the process. Not to say a GB is the answer at all, but this scenario can ruin an otherwise good ESC's BEC circuit and lose control of your rig. Carnage results.
If you overextend and bind up your ST endpoints, that is also one way to overload your BEC and brick the servo in the process.
Not something I’m going to beat to death. I only use Futaba and I’m a Savox fanboi, I had a 50% sponsorship 10-12 years ago, never had any problems.

^^^ I respect that.
I love Futaba servos. Among the best IMHO. Just that I feel they are too expensive for my wallet these days and for bashing my rigs not practical. I don't race anymore. I was a hardcore Futaba "everything" fanboy myself.:)

From my understanding to some of which is already mentioned it helps control brown-outs.
In turn could result in saving a vehicle because the small amount of charge in the capacitor
could be enough to provide enough time to control/stop the vehicle. These are well known with the
speed runner guys and since they go out quite the distance it could save a lot of money
if something happens.

Brownout's wont happen in the first place if you have a good setup. They are so rare. I rather know if I have a brownout than have a Cap in place to hide the fact that there may be one.
Speed running is a different animal altogether. Most turn off LVC so they have that last bit of power to brake and turn at high speeds. Some speed runners use dedicated batteries for the Rx. Speed running is completely different.
And capacitors wear out anyway. Been there. Something to consider. They are not foolproof as an accessory.

^^^ I respect that.
I love Futaba servos. Among the best IMHO. Just that I feel they are too expensive for my wallet these days and for bashing my rigs not practical. I don't race anymore. I was a hardcore Futaba "everything" fanboy myself.:)
I had a 50% sponsorship on Savox. I wish it was Futaba! ;)

Wow....

Thx for all the feedback this is good info for me... What lead me this way if I needed to install a GB with a Spektrum 130A ESC with a Savox 2271 servo. Now being a newbie there is more I need to learn here as far as BEC what is an ESC BEC how that have an effect on this servo if a GB is needed or not....

Thx....now new open can :)

Nitro rigs need 2 servos. (TH and ST) 5-6volt batteries are used to power the 2 servos and the Rx.
BEC is short for Battery Elimination Circuit.
Modern ESC's are powered directly from the Lipo, the ESC then incorporates a BEC circuit which drops the Lipo volts for the BEC circuit to usable volts for the Servo and Rx. The small battery is eliminated in modern RC rigs. That's why it is called a BEC. All ESC's have a Built in BEC. BEC is a circuit within the ESC itself.

Nut shell, you set the bec on the esc to the voltage your servo can handle.
Nitro rigs need 2 servos. (TH and ST) 5-6volt batteries are used to power the 2 servos and the Rx.
BEC is short for Battery Elimination Circuit.
Modern ESC's are powered directly from the Lipo, the ESC then incorporates a BEC circuit which drops the Lipo volts for the BEC circuit to usable volts for the Servo and Rx. The small battery is eliminated in modern RC rigs. That's why it is called a BEC. All ESC's have a Built in BEC. BEC is a circuit within the ESC itself.
I ran a 2s into an external bec in my nitro rigs. (y)

^^^ you wanted 7.4v for the servos???

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back