Granite Steering Wheel Wobble Question :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeCheck1212

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Notorious
I'm pretty new to this car and hobby so please be gentle :)

I'm having an issue with the wheels wobbling really badly at full turn as per this video.

I haven't let my son take it back out since as im worried the wobble is going to rattle itself to pieces lol.

I'm not sure if it happened prior to me changing some bearings or not so i'll say what i tried to do and that might help in diagnosing the problem.

I had planned on changing all the bearings from stock to fast eddie's rubber sealed ones. The ones in the end of the wheels went on fine and the ones that replace the bushes in the steering were okay but when i come to do the bearings on the ends of the front diff, one wouldnt seat fully so there was a very small gap between the diff case and where the bearing sat, not sure this would create the problem in the video though but thought id mention it anyway.

Thanks guys :)

Sounds like the u-joints in the hubs rubbing a little. I don’t think it’s a big deal tho. These aren’t precision machines. They are bashing rigs. These types of slop are normal.

are the nuts holding the wheels fully tightened? i had my wheel go flying off cause my kid brother was screwing around.
Good call. Take off the front wheels and check the screws holding the caster blocks to the hubs.

wheel nuts are tight, i hadn't undone anything in the wheel assembly so could possibly be something loose in there, ill check everything and see whether its any better and report back, @jondilly1974 you really think that kind of slop is normal, I know its not a racing machine but surely more than 10 minutes running its gunna have ripped itself apart?

Both my son and I were having trouble controlling it which is why I decided to change the bearings and diff oil as I don't remember it being so bad when we first got it. It's very hard to get it centered so it tracks straight and always pulls hard one way or another under acceleration. I think some of it might be related to the ballooning tires so going to wrap them in some fishing braid and see that makes it better but I'm sure some of its slop in the steering. My primary concern atm is related to the video in the first post and whether if I run it like that its going to rip itself apart lol

Kind of seems like a u-joint bind to me..

Simple test, do the same thing you did.. start straight, apply light throttle, (like the amount you gave it to make it wobble)

Keep the wheels rolling, and add steering input slowly.. does it wobble at any other point than full lock? If it only wobbles at full lock it's a u joint bind and you are over throwing your u joints ability to stay concentric.. you will need to dial back your end point on the steering...

Every arrma I've seen, new or old, the steering throw is more than the components are capable of.. 6s line out of the box wants to rip the servo mount out..
3s and mega line wants to rip servo gears apart, again out of the box...

Turn the d/r steering trim knob all the way down.. full lock the steering on the transmitter, while holding full lock turn the d/r knob up until the wheels just stop steering.. you will see the knob is nowhere near full, most likely less than half.. this is the end point and should remain in this position..

wheel nuts are tight, i hadn't undone anything in the wheel assembly so could possibly be something loose in there, ill check everything and see whether its any better and report back, @jondilly1974 you really think that kind of slop is normal, I know its not a racing machine but surely more than 10 minutes running its gunna have ripped itself apart?
It’s hard for me to tell from a video how much slop you have, but they do have quite a bit out of the box. If this is progressively getting worse then something is wrong.

Have you ruled out the radio? Is it the STX2?

Thanks for all of your help so far, i will have a good look later tonight and report back.

I have replaced the STX2 with a FlySky GT3b

@jondilly1974 you really think that kind of slop is normal, I know its not a racing machine but surely more than 10 minutes running its gunna have ripped itself apart?
I really don't think this is even close to normal, i wouldnt drive mine in this state.
My best guess is that the driveshaft on the axle size is loose.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back