Infraction Steering won’t center no matter what!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys I’m pulling my hair out here

The steering won’t center by a fraction it’s either aiming left or right

I’ve just installed scorched parts billet upright servo savers, carbon akerman with bearings. I’ve tried 3 different servos in 2 different positions, I’ve also slackened off the pillar balls and play with them to no avail

Last thing I can only think of is the horse show shims I’ve removed and replaced with a 5mm washer, how important are the plastic shim things?

I’m about to throw the car at the wall lol

Does anybody have any ideas? Thank you

View attachment 286367
Did you have your stearing trim set to neutral on your transmitter before setting the servo?

I kinda had the same issue when I installed a lot of suspension parts and a new servo and I was having issues with stearing straight when I did my speed runs .I had a lot of play in my tei rods and stearing linkage so I added shims and adjusted my teirods to negative camber and toe .also the front was to light so adding all aluminum like control arms and shocks .tei rods and stearing linkage to the front plus other things made it stear near perfect.i still find my self adjusting as I do my pass .sometimes the road is un even or cracks can make the car skip or shift over a slight bit.getting a rig to have perfect stearing is probably something everyone has issues with.i suppose you have to keep dialing it in .making small adjustments in increments is best..it's fustrating
Seems like your a off road guy and not a on road guy so I would assume stearing perfectly straight or near straight isn't a big deal .
If you try adjusting the trim from your transmitter does it get better or nothing?

I found that:

1) Even with all the best and new suspension parts you can get there is still slop in the Arrmas and I think it's juts a design issue. Both of my Arrmas have literally all brand-new aluminum suspension parts and both still have significant slop that would affect whether the car drives straight or not.

2) Although my issue is not as severe, I've noticed that my cars sometimes don't completely center when I let off the steering. I've chalked this up to impefect radios. Maybe the re-centering mechanism on the radio wheel just doesn't work well all the time? That's my guess.

I found that:

1) Even with all the best and new suspension parts you can get there is still slop in the Arrmas and I think it's juts a design issue. Both of my Arrmas have literally all brand-new aluminum suspension parts and both still have significant slop that would affect whether the car drives straight or not.

2) Although my issue is not as severe, I've noticed that my cars sometimes don't completely center when I let off the steering. I've chalked this up to impefect radios. Maybe the re-centering mechanism on the radio wheel just doesn't work well all the time? That's my guess.
Radios that have a digital stearing trim are more reliable than the spectrum trim knob.at least that's what I've noticed any how..kinda wish we could get our trims dialed in between numbers like instead of having just the option of say #1 and #2 why not 1.5 ? Or even if we could dial in as little as 1.1 or 1.2 like micro adjustments .

Radios that have a digital stearing trim are more reliable than the spectrum trim knob.at least that's what I've noticed any how..kinda wish we could get our trims dialed in between numbers like instead of having just the option of say #1 and #2 why not 1.5 ? Or even if we could dial in as little as 1.1 or 1.2 like micro adjustments .
You need a rugged!! 😁
I found that:

@K-BASH has a fix for that, rubber o-rings!!😎

Last edited:
It wouldn't centre so I've done this so far:

- I have tried 3 different Servos one being the Perfect Pass Servo from Raz shifrin, a Savox and 9imod one.
- I've replaced both steel steering posts
- Replaced both Steering bellcranks to Scorched parts ones
- Replaced Akerman to scorched carbon fibre one and added bearings to both sides
- I used the Radio Link rc6gs handset and receiver
- replaced the horseshoe shims on the upper hinge pin, both sides
- slackened off and played with pillar balls
- changed the position of the servo mounting twice
- changed link length
- checked nothing is binding/catching anywhere
- if servo is disconnected Ive moved the steering and its as smooth as butter

anything else? lol im pulling my hair out now lol :(
Only a suggestion ru confident you used the correct holes on both sides of the Ackerman plate.

Just for shits and grins, plug your servo into the throttle port and vice versa. Careful that you don't use steering now, try and see if using the throttle channel will give you the same problem.

You stated that you have an RC6GS, is the receiver in gyro or some other mode?

Do a simple pull and release and some slow pulls and post a video.

I'm out of ideas other than a different TX/RX.

Some things you could try:
- try turning the gyro on in your receiver (if applicable), if it is on did you fiddle with gyro sensitivity?
- Start a new bind with a new model in your TX, no copy etc
- place it on a surface with friction (can be minimal) and see if it repeats

I don't have these issues with RC6 in a boat (rudder) i.e. above really shouldn't do anything. Should center just fine.

I had same problem with my Outcast, when change from the stock 23t servo to a 25t, it never drive straight, either left or right. I tried to put the stock one back on and problem gone. Must be servo tooth count.

It's likely a bind somewhere it the system, always a pain in the booty to find. You have to add one piece at a time to it till it behaves badly then figure out why. Most likely a balljoint. Grab each part and give it a little twist, everything should move free, all of it.

You could also try loosening the servo mount a tiny bit, suspend the front wheels ( or even remove them ) and find out where on the travel the linkage is pushing back, if you can't quite see it put your finger right on the servo, you'll feel it when it moves.

Happy hunting.

Your video would be a lot more helpful if you showed your TX and the inputs you are doing, I am still not quite sure what you think the problem is and apparently I am not the only one 😅

You said that the wheels turn smooth without a servo connected? No binding?

Then nothing is wrong and you just have to trim the servo until everything is straight…this is normal.

Or are you saying that once the servo is installed it’s binding and the servo doesn’t have enough torque to center the wheels?
Because that wouldn’t really make any sense if you think about it. 🤔

Can you turn the wheels with the servo attached and the car turned off? By hand, of course 😁

Can you post some pictures of your steering assembly?
I had same problem with my Outcast, when change from the stock 23t servo to a 25t, it never drive straight, either left or right. I tried to put the stock one back on and problem gone. Must be servo tooth count.
All you had to do was trim the servo.

Last edited:
is it meant to be this bad?

That really looks like something is binding somewhere. Sorry if you've already done this, but the first thing I'd check is the pillow balls. If one of the four is tightened down just a bit too much, it will really mess with your steering. If that isn't it, work your way through each steering component, check and re-check. While cheaper servos don't return to zero as reliably as more expensive units, I really don't think that's you're issue here. I mean, they're getting stuck around 5-10° off-center and that really shouldn't be provided that everything is moving freely. Just a thought.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back