Big Rock @Steve38's V3 BigRock (Black Betty)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*420+3RC*

420+3RC
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
20210831_035853.jpg
I had been trying to wait till I was about to get a roller of some sort and actually build it up. But thanks to strife, life, and the wife that could be a while. 😆. So over my rainy days off (when I could) I broke "Betty" down. It'll be a slow build back due to gonna make sure to shim where needed to help o-rings wherever etc. Ok so here it goes....

UPGRADES AS OF 9-2-21.
1. Badlands 2.8 MX on Raid 12mm hex
2. HR motor mount.
Hammered straight 3 times
3. HR pivot balls
Not again
4. HR aluminum Fixed link
5. HR aluminum Servo Saver
*Was Kimbrough 124. It.
started to get weak.
6.Servo: AmazonSpecial 30kg
7. Front shocks: Stock Rear 60wt TA (may go to ZDracing110mm)
8.Rear Shocks: 135mm ZDracing 60wt TA (may go to stock rear)
Reason: I love the Big jacked up truck look. But "Betty's" diff and drive shafts do not. Harsh angles. Rubbing on outside of u-joints. Gonna lower it some.
9. 3d printed Roof Rails/Nose peice(Ebay)
10. Decals: @WoodiE/ Arrma forum, @Gage56/ Chrome decals. Thanks again guys!
11. Typhon Mega Wing
(oops) Gonna be a 3s wing l8r
12. Wing Mount.
13. Granite front bumper
14. 4s Roll Bar
15. Bed Liner inside of body.
Will be more coming!
1st step break it down

My tools aren't great. They are Dynamite! 😆. (Insert dumb joke).
20210831_035853.jpg

16305651464755478768498082554612.jpg

I do with what I can. Im a newb on a less than budget.
I run Spektrum 5000mah 3s battery with the cheapo charger. Only cause was recommended by LHS. NEWB 👋. Stock electronics and motor for now. They haven't messed up and I haven't had the 💸 to upgrade 😆. 3s is still plenty for me for now. A more torque less heat set up is where im headed. With possible 4s l8r.

You all have been loads of help so far. Thats why I try to bust it on help with smaller more redundent questions. And saying hello to all cause you all have been more than patient with me. I appreciate that. Ive been super Frustrated Pissed Quiting all at the same time. Glad I didn't. Thank You.
Its late. Will post more about cleaning and pre re build as I go here is what "Betty" looks like with her clothes on
20210825_121023~2.jpg

I

Ok. So. I still couldnt put it up till early this morning. Cleaned bearing. Got a couple that will require taking the rubber seal out to clean. (Fast Eddys or Jim's whenever needed) * Added note: no this isn't all bearing doing in small sets. Cause I'm leaving diffs closed till have enough time to open clean put back in 1 sesh. <--😉. Also wd-40 24hr plastic soaks on pieces I want to flex more 💪.
20210831_232043.jpg
20210831_232049.jpg

So while cleaning bearing found 3 that had play in them. I'm not gonna wait till they seize or explode. So bearing will be ordered asap. Also look at my slipper assembly. I'd noticed a funny sound at high RPM. Hard to take center drive shaft out...sometimes. Guess depending on way of bend

20210903_005032.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great Steve,

My boy's BRCC is still bone stock. What type of bed liner did you use? His body is still in pretty good shape. Not worth Shoo goo at this point.

Looks tough bud! Looks more like a monster truck. I’d like to raise mine up too but I’m afraid of breaking stuff. I read your bearing cleaning and it’s close to the same as how I do it. Have you looked into a ultra sonic cleaner yet? Buy one and if you don’t like it I’ll buy it off you for 1/2 price 😁

Cheapo. 10$ home depot

Oddly enough our Lowes doesn't have it nor is it listed at our the closest Home Depot. Advance Auto in town has it for store pick up :)
Looks tough bud! Looks more like a monster truck. I’d like to raise mine up too but I’m afraid of breaking stuff. I read your bearing cleaning and it’s close to the same as how I do it. Have you looked into a ultra sonic cleaner yet? Buy one and if you don’t like it I’ll buy it off you for 1/2 price 😁
I wasn't sure what that was. Would something like this work for bearings? Same idea right?

https://www.amazon.com/Magnasonic-P...best+ultrasonic+cleaner&qid=1630600979&sr=8-3

Oddly enough our Lowes doesn't have it nor is it listed at our the closest Home Depot. Advance Auto in town has it for store pick up :)
Harbor freight has em and they are close to me but Amazon has a larger capacity for the same price. I’m just wondering how useful it really is.

[/QUOTE]
I am the ultra sonic cleaner🤣
Harbor freight has em and they are close to me but Amazon has a larger capacity for the same price. I’m just wondering how useful it really is.
We are finally getting a harbor freight in my small town. Its great for some tools and lots of the smaller "throw away" or consumable? Brain not working in the vocab section🤤
We are finally getting a harbor freight in my small town. Its great for some tools and lots of the smaller "throw away" or consumable? Brain not working in the vocab section🤤

Ok. So. I still couldnt put it up till early this morning. Cleaned bearing. Got a couple that will require taking the rubber seal out to clean. (Fast Eddys or Jim's whenever needed) * Added note: no this isn't all bearing doing in small sets. Cause I'm leaving diffs closed till have enough time to open clean put back in 1 sesh. <--😉. Also wd-40 24hr plastic soaks on pieces I want to flex more 💪.View attachment 167037View attachment 167038
So while cleaning bearing found 3 that had play in them. I'm not gonna wait till they seize or explode. So bearing will be ordered asap. Also look at my slipper assembly. I'd noticed a funny sound at high RPM. Hard to take center drive shaft out...sometimes. Guess depending on way of bend

View attachment 167145
How's that happen?

Ok, wow, that is crazy on that clutch shaft, and very cool looking BR
View attachment 166998I had been trying to wait till I was about to get a roller of some sort and actually build it up. But thanks to strife, life, and the wife that could be a while. 😆. So over my rainy days off (when I could) I broke "Betty" down. It'll be a slow build back due to gonna make sure to shim where needed to help o-rings wherever etc. Ok so here it goes....

UPGRADES AS OF 9-2-21.
1. Badlands 2.8 MX on Raid 12mm hex
2. HR motor mount.
Hammered straight 3 times
3. HR pivot balls
Not again
4. HR aluminum Fixed link
5. HR aluminum Servo Saver
*Was Kimbrough 124. It.
started to get weak.
6.Servo: AmazonSpecial 30kg
7. Front shocks: Stock Rear 60wt TA (may go to ZDracing110mm)
8.Rear Shocks: 135mm ZDracing 60wt TA (may go to stock rear)
Reason: I love the Big jacked up truck look. But "Betty's" diff and drive shafts do not. Harsh angles. Rubbing on outside of u-joints. Gonna lower it some.
9. 3d printed Roof Rails/Nose peice(Ebay)
10. Decals: @WoodiE/ Arrma forum, @Gage56/ Chrome decals. Thanks again guys!
11. Typhon Mega Wing
(oops) Gonna be a 3s wing l8r
12. Wing Mount.
13. Granite front bumper
14. 4s Roll Bar
15. Bed Liner inside of body.
Will be more coming!
1st step break it down

My tools aren't great. They are Dynamite! 😆. (Insert dumb joke). View attachment 166998
View attachment 166999
I do with what I can. Im a newb on a less than budget.
I run Spektrum 5000mah 3s battery with the cheapo charger. Only cause was recommended by LHS. NEWB 👋. Stock electronics and motor for now. They haven't messed up and I haven't had the 💸 to upgrade 😆. 3s is still plenty for me for now. A more torque less heat set up is where im headed. With possible 4s l8r.

You all have been loads of help so far. Thats why I try to bust it on help with smaller more redundent questions. And saying hello to all cause you all have been more than patient with me. I appreciate that. Ive been super Frustrated Pissed Quiting all at the same time. Glad I didn't. Thank You.
Its late. Will post more about cleaning and pre re build as I go here is what "Betty" looks like with her clothes onView attachment 167000

I
Man that looks really good

Last edited:
Thanks man. She's been down for a bit again. This clutch and life been kicking my butt. I hate the setup. If the metals were any kind of decent materials its be fine. Thanks for the compliment. She my only 😆

Ive not seen one bent like that, have you figured out the cause ?
No sir. Somehow I'm sure had to be my error. Lol. But the machining 1/4 of it so thin I may have had pads come outa grooves or something miss aligned when I tightened it. BUT heres this. I had NO TINY BEARING, OR THE OTHER SMALL PIECES WHEN DISSASSEMBLED. JUST THE SCREW AND PLASTIC NUT EVEN. NO F'N IDEA WHERE THEY WENT. 100% I know I put them on. I watched a youtube vid the whole way. I had just received the maintanance items for it. 🤷. Gonna get a new full assembly from JRC.

What gets me is my rig was running GREAT! nothing had broken. No high temps. Nothing. Little whine at high RPM. Thought it was front diff as it still has a sticky spot. Now idk

Well a little update after alot of work for not much gain. Rear diff is giving me hell. When in yoke and snug all is good. Soon as its sat down in the chassis it dam near locks up. Can't figure it out. @Velodromed is nice enough so send me a rear yoke. To swap mine. Hopefully mine is warped and I cant tell. But anyway got the front of the truck back together. Didnt shim the new stock bell crank. Don't have any shims. Of that size lol. Granite front bumper. And went with the 105mm ZD shocks up front. Which are a bit taller than stock front. Almost as tall as stock rear. Then running the stock rear shocks using the thickest spacers also. Finally got my Axial bushing for the 7.5mm 6s shocks. 👍

20210922_000250.jpg

20210922_000239.jpg

Well a little update after alot of work for not much gain. Rear diff is giving me hell. When in yoke and snug all is good. Soon as its sat down in the chassis it dam near locks up. Can't figure it out. @Velodromed is nice enough so send me a rear yoke. To swap mine. Hopefully mine is warped and I cant tell. But anyway got the front of the truck back together. Didnt shim the new stock bell crank. Don't have any shims. Of that size lol. Granite front bumper. And went with the 105mm ZD shocks up front. Which are a bit taller than stock front. Almost as tall as stock rear. Then running the stock rear shocks using the thickest spacers also. Finally got my Axial bushing for the 7.5mm 6s shocks. 👍

View attachment 170398

View attachment 170399
You know it could end up being something simple. When I get in your situation I take everything apart again pull out the schematics and watch YouTube videos and work on it till I figure it out.

I know you’re doing the same…but still, try and try again. You’ll figure it out, don't worry or get frustrated buddy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back