Big Rock @Steve38's V3 BigRock (Black Betty)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ramp is made of plywood and is slick if it's wet otherwise it's fine. Certainly needs to be grippy, those rear wheels need to push the car up and out.

I'm not sure grip tape is the answer, what is the ramp made of?

My ramp is made of plywood and is slick if it's wet otherwise it's fine. Certainly needs to be grippy, those rear wheels need to push the car up and out.

I'm not sure grip tape is the answer, what is the ramp made of?
Before I say/write it out loud....ive got about $20 in the ramp. 😆. Thats the red spray paint and had to get a new roll of gorrilla tape. But the top is that laminate 💩.
20220125_174159.jpg
. But I had to use 3 pieces. And it sits out in the weather. So I sealed it,best I could, with some left over epoxy. Didnt feel like that was gonna do so then I painted it white.
20220130_140336.jpg
couldnt take that lol and I still wanted to help the edges of that laminate wood crap. So I used last of my spray bed liner around the rim.
20220130_152646.jpg
still wasn't good enough so I bought and added the red lol
20220130_165434.jpg
. And then clear coated the F'n thing too! 💯💯💪💪💨💨💨💨💨🤷

🤷 I don't know what u mean....😜. I may tend to over think things. The use of the word engineered is really nice of you 😂💯
Clear coat is slippery he meant. If you have more paint it again and add some fine sand to it when wet.
Clear coat is slippery he meant. If you have more paint it again and add some fine sand to it when wet.
Nice ramp by the way!

My Antipodeans humor may be lost in translation. 🤪🤪

Over thinking it yep maybe but that's all good.
No not lost. Totally with ya lol. I myself don't translate well without hearing me. Sounds better in my head usually 😆

Nice ramp by the way!
Thanks bud. I just happend to notice I had enough scrap stuff around to build it. Its def helping on days when traveling to bash it out. Im gonna grab 1 more can of that bedliner spray. May make some tire track design

Nice ramp by the way!
Thanks bud. I just happend to notice I had enough scrap stuff around to build it. Its def helping on days when traveling to bash it out. Im gonna grab 1 more can of that bedliner spray. May make some tire track design

Hit my ramp hard today after not a lot of use and it was fun. Typhon 6s and Rival MT10 both getting a turn. They were soaring - Just like a flying kiwi 👊 Nothing broke F yeah 😎😎😎
👊 hell yea bro! I started a different shift at work. Gotta get used to it. Don't wanna fall asleep at the controls 😜

Well just to update my records on Betty. Done a whole refresh on her. She hated waiting on last bits of threadlock and such to set up.
20220323_151142.jpg

1. 30k front diff fluid. Rebuilt diff (stock)
2. 20k rear diff. Rebuilt diff (stock)
Wanting to loosen up the driving. Seema like it'll take more skill to stay under control. Or I may hate it 😜.
3. The motor is a 3665 3100kv Hobbystar
20220323_011950.jpg

4. Reglued/Painted the tires/wheels.
5. ZD Racing 105mm front shocks. 60wt oil
6. Stock rear shocks. 1 thick preload on spring. 60wt oil.
20220318_162407.jpg

7. Went back with Typhon Mega wing. Cut to fit. Sprayed with textured spray paint.
8. Granite rear bumper. Got bored and painted on it too. Smh. And wheelie bar.
20220323_012402.jpg

9. Inner race of bearing on slipper shaft. Forgot o-ring for now.
10. So I did this with my Rocket fan id just bought. Due to not knowing the Hobbystar motor looks the way it does cause they built in the heat sink on the can. When stock fan and stock heat sink was on I was having heat issues. But also was having rear diff issues.
Cleaned everything up with good ol Simple Green. Love that stuff. In the 2nd pic u no fan on the motor. I don't have the correct mount for the fan so I went thru some very dense foam with the screws. With a drop of gorrila adhesive. That way when i do get the mount I can still get everything off. Also used stock top plate to help keep debris out. Then zip tied it. With the screws and foam its very sturdy feeling. It also keeps about 1/2" of space inbetween the fan and can.
20220323_021716.jpg

Going to get her back out tom and see how she rips.
20220323_012157.jpg

Well just to update my records on Betty. Done a whole refresh on her. She hated waiting on last bits of threadlock and such to set up.View attachment 208272
1. 30k front diff fluid. Rebuilt diff (stock)
2. 20k rear diff. Rebuilt diff (stock)
Wanting to loosen up the driving. Seema like it'll take more skill to stay under control. Or I may hate it 😜.
3. The motor is a 3665 3100kv Hobbystar
View attachment 208274
4. Reglued/Painted the tires/wheels.
5. ZD Racing 105mm front shocks. 60wt oil
6. Stock rear shocks. 1 thick preload on spring. 60wt oil.
View attachment 208273
7. Went back with Typhon Mega wing. Cut to fit. Sprayed with textured spray paint.
8. Granite rear bumper. Got bored and painted on it too. Smh. And wheelie bar.
View attachment 208275
9. Inner race of bearing on slipper shaft. Forgot o-ring for now.
10. So I did this with my Rocket fan id just bought. Due to not knowing the Hobbystar motor looks the way it does cause they built in the heat sink on the can. When stock fan and stock heat sink was on I was having heat issues. But also was having rear diff issues.
Cleaned everything up with good ol Simple Green. Love that stuff. In the 2nd pic u no fan on the motor. I don't have the correct mount for the fan so I went thru some very dense foam with the screws. With a drop of gorrila adhesive. That way when i do get the mount I can still get everything off. Also used stock top plate to help keep debris out. Then zip tied it. With the screws and foam its very sturdy feeling. It also keeps about 1/2" of space inbetween the fan and can.View attachment 208276
Going to get her back out tom and see how she rips. View attachment 208277
Looking good!! How do you like that motor? I just got the exact same one for my Vorteks hybrid. I have a 3670 surpass in it now but the fit is so damn tight with the short wheel base. 3665 should be perfect.

Looking good!! How do you like that motor? I just got the exact same one for my Vorteks hybrid. I have a 3670 surpass in it now but the fit is so damn tight with the short wheel base. 3665 should be perfect.
So far so good. It def upped the torque. And then I went up to punch 4 also. 😏. Hopefully with the cvds in the rear I'm hoping for so tail whipping wheelie poppin dirt bash here in just a few hrs lol. haven't really bashed since ive been using the ramp.

So far so good. It def upped the torque. And then I went up to punch 4 also. 😏. Hopefully with the cvds in the rear I'm hoping for so tail whipping wheelie poppin dirt bash here in just a few hrs lol. haven't really bashed since ive been using the ramp.
Nice! Let me know how the CVDs work out in the rear with the long arms. I have a set but hesitating putting them on.

Nice! Let me know how the CVDs work out in the rear with the long arms. I have a set but hesitating putting them on.
Yea will do bud! They have been on for the last few ramp sessions. Atleast they haven't popped. Lol. No real bashing on them yet. Couple hrs away now is all. But I don't like the fit either. But so far better than stock.

Yea will do bud! They have been on for the last few ramp sessions. Atleast they haven't popped. Lol. No real bashing on them yet. Couple hrs away now is all. But I don't like the fit either. But so far better than stock.
I read that they do good on the front but not as good on the rear with the wide arms. I might eventually break down and get a 4s set to try the combination trick. Dang they are expensive though.

@Velodromed @parcou
Ok so life got in the way yesterday. And kinda today. So no dirt bash like I was hoping for. I am cleared for tomorrow to get in. Its a huge dirt work area. But I got in with the superintendent. On a "when they arent there, "neither am i." deal.

But from just running around at the house and up and down the street...SHE HAS COME TO LIFE! It's like brand new all over again and then some. An easy throttle keeps the nose down. Allows better for my taillwhipping. Anytime I wanna spin it out I can. Which I know mostly not trying to buy I like to be able to break it loose when I want. But also felt like the the wheels/tires were really digging thru the rotations. As per skimming on top till it catches grip.

Tom I'll catch some video and a bit better idea on a good dirt lot.

@Velodromed @parcou
Ok so life got in the way yesterday. And kinda today. So no dirt bash like I was hoping for. I am cleared for tomorrow to get in. Its a huge dirt work area. But I got in with the superintendent. On a "when they arent there, "neither am i." deal.

But from just running around at the house and up and down the street...SHE HAS COME TO LIFE! It's like brand new all over again and then some. An easy throttle keeps the nose down. Allows better for my taillwhipping. Anytime I wanna spin it out I can. Which I know mostly not trying to buy I like to be able to break it loose when I want. But also felt like the the wheels/tires were really digging thru the rotations. As per skimming on top till it catches grip.

That’s great! Enjoy your dirt bash tomorrow bud!
This little beastie is running amazing on its surpass 3670, 3050 kv at the park today. The Powerhobby wheels are excellent for dirt drifting and don’t ballon much.

Attachments

• 656A8E99-4855-4995-9FD8-06671892820B.jpeg
    656A8E99-4855-4995-9FD8-06671892820B.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
@Velodromed @parcou

Man, I would give anything for that type of location! I would not have enough batteries to bash all my rigs. Enjoy!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back