Stiffer shock springs, limiters etc for speed runs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMballistic

ROSSA ~ Officially fast.
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
For those that don't know I do speed runs with my Arrma Typhon 6S, thread here: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/speed-runner-typhon-6s-uk-built-fast-not-bought-fast.10482/

I'm looking for some help/ideas please on how to stiffen up my suspension set up a little ~ specifically types of thicker/stiffer springs that will work with the stock Arrma springs and maybe some type of shock limiters.

What I'm trying to do is stop the buggy from bottoming out which it has on occasion. I've got an RPM skid plate fitted to the rear of the chassis plate but as it's already taken a hit so I'd like to see what else I can do to limit this happening further.

So suggestions on spring replacements, shock oil weight replacement, limiters etc and where to buy (if possible UK available) would be very much appreciated.
Thank you for any info. (y)

Stock v3 Typhon spring length and rates are:
Front = 70mm (4.23. lb/in spring rate)
Rear = 84mm (3.17 lb/in spring rate)

Pretty much any of the larger wheel 6s trucks have significantly more spring rate than what you're currently running.

Example;

Outcast/Notorious/Kraton
Front 85mm ( 6.2 lb/in spring rate)
Rear 95mm (5.0 lb/in spring rate)

V3 Talion
Front 60mm (9.7 lb/in spring rate)
Rear 84mm (5.4 lb/in spring rate)

Sticking with stock Arrma springs that offer a higher spring rate, I'd probably go for the Talion setup front and rear, even though the fronts are 10mm shorter than the ones you're running now. This will stiffen the cars suspension noticeably but I don't think will complete eliminate bottoming out the chassis. If you want to try the stiffer springs but are still concerned with chassis scraping, you can take a small piece of semi-soft tubing installed on the shock shafts as a bump stop to limit the final compressed length of each shock. You'll have to pull the rod ends off to add the small section on tubing to the shaft but this will accomplish what your going after with limiting shock compression

Thank you @Mr.Duke . (y)

What about using the Outcast/Notorious/Kraton front springs on the back of my Typhon and the Talion front springs on the front of my Typhon?
I'm thinking basically of using the stiffest springs available from the vehicles (if I can find UK stock that is).

Re: Bump stop/semi soft tubing ~ I was actually thinking of using some Nitro fuel tubing the other day as a make shift bump stop so I might give that a try seeing as you suggested it as well. Going to wait till I have some springs in my hands etc though before doing any stripping.

Still interested in any other suggestions all. Thanks. ;)

If memory serves me correctly I believe the Nero springs where like 20+ lbs after the conversion

I'll see if I can find that info again

Found the front and rear Talion springs on eBay
Ar330500 and Ar330501

IMG_9453.PNG
IMG_9454.PNG

Still looking for the info on the Nero springs

I would also up the oil weight so as to slow down the rebound..?? I've no idea what stock weight is though, maybe someone on here might know..

Ok so for the Nero springs I've found 3 different spring options (all available at Amain Hobbies)

Arrma #ARA330419
65mm shock spring (2) 503gf/mm

Arrma #ARA330417
75mm shock spring (2) 317gf/mm

Arrma #ARA330347
65mm shock spring (2) 420gf/mm

Conversion spring rates for the above springs (from gf/mm to lb/in) .....

IMG_9455.JPG

Found the front and rear Talion springs on eBay
Ar330500 and Ar330501
Still looking for the info on the Nero springs
Thanks man. :)

I found the springs on eBay too but of course only in the USA and as I'm UK based the import duty/tax just makes it not viable.

I would also up the oil weight so as to slow down the rebound..?? I've no idea what stock weight is though, maybe someone on here might know..
Yep I was thinking of that thanks Brian but not sure what weight to use.
Hopefully someone can suggest something from experience or at least inform me what's in there as standard.

Ok so for the Nero springs I've found 3 different spring options (all available at Amain Hobbies)

Arrma #ARA330347
65mm shock spring (2) 420gf/mm
Wow so those ones I linked are like 23 lb/in. :oops:

Wonder if that's overkill on the Typhon?? :unsure: :LOL:
Thank you for the help and info so far. I really appreciate it.

@GMballistic did you end up finding any solutions for HD springs?

***Edit I see now you went with Nero springs. I think ill give that a try also.***

When I lowered my Kraton feels like mush! I am now searching for something stiffer. The rear feels just ok but could use some extra there as well.

I used to speed run a Slash 4x4 with the GTR shocks and using Revo springs. This shock is smaller in comparison to Arrma shocks but might get the job done with some stand offs?

Some notes I am keeping on springs until I find a good solution

Kraton 6s version 4
front springs 85mm (ar330507) 6.2 lb/in (110.7 g/mm)
rear springs 95mm (ar330508) 5.0 lb/in (89 g/mm)

Traxas GTR shock XXL 100.5mm length eye to eye
Revo springs

4.9 N/mm (28.9 lb-in) Silver (stock E-Revo LT front) #TRA5442
5.4 N/mm (30.8 lb-in) Pink*#TRA5443
5.9 N/mm (33.7 lb-in) Blue (stock E-Revo LT rear) #TRA5444
6.4 N/mm (36.5 lb-in) Purple #TRA5445

Last edited:
@GMballistic did you end up finding any solutions for HD springs?

***Edit I see now you went with Nero springs. I think ill give that a try also.***
Yes specifically I went with the "Hot Racing Black springs" (NRO6509) designed originally for the Nero. They are softer than a stock Arrma Nero spring but a lot stiffer than the Typhon springs.
More info here: https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=NRO6509;c=1019

I love them tbh.
They're so much thicker and beefier than the standard springs were & the firmness of the ride is just right imho.
78 Front ride height set at 15mm approx.JPG

Yes specifically I went with the "Hot Racing Black springs" (NRO6509) designed originally for the Nero. They are softer than a stock Arrma Nero spring but a lot stiffer than the Typhon springs.
More info here: https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=NRO6509;c=1019

I love them tbh.
They're so much thicker and beefier than the standard springs were & the firmness of the ride is just right imho.
View attachment 40054
Since the Kraton has significantly longer a-arms (more lever action) I ordered up the original Nero springs
Arrma #AR330417 (75mm)
I hope they are long enough when the pre-load is tightened down. Kraton springs are quite a bit longer. (85/95mm vs 75mm)
For 7.99 I figure it is worth a shot, plus I may have some time on my hands now getting the correct J-series "hard rim" GRP tyres since I purchased the GRPGTX01 (normal/soft rim).

Last edited:
I hope they are long enough when the pre-load is tightened down. Kraton springs are quite a bit longer. (85/95mm vs 75mm)
I'm sure they will be fine.
The original Typhon rear springs were 84mm long and the Hot Racing black springs I'm using now are 65mm. Tightened them down to where I liked them and there is still room for more adjustment if needed.

65.JPG

I'm sure they will be fine.
The original Typhon rear springs were 84mm long and the Hot Racing black springs I'm using now are 65mm. Tightened them down to where I liked them and there is still room for more adjustment if needed.

View attachment 40059
Yes that is good news! Thanks for that image!

@GMballistic ... don't suppose you have a link for where you got your HR springs..??

Also did you use the same springs front and rear..?? as I know normally the springs are longer on the rear..??

@GMballistic ... don't suppose you have a link for where you got your HR springs..??

Also did you use the same springs front and rear..?? as I know normally the springs are longer on the rear..??
Yes of course but unfortunately Brian when I bought them I couldn't find them in the UK so I had to order them from "RC-Express" a company in the USA.
Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Raci...365136?hash=item442f102c10:g:G8oAAOSwTxJcBazr

They did a great service though as the springs didn't take more than a week or so to arrive and had avoided any import charges somehow. ;);)

I did use the same springs on the front and rear shock yes.

so i stiffened up my senton 6s rear and front shocks with stiffer springs. and installed duratrax bandito tires. Now my car traction rolls....what am i doing wrong ?? are my tires just too sticky ?

so i stiffened up my senton 6s rear and front shocks with stiffer springs. and installed duratrax bandito tires. Now my car traction rolls....what am i doing wrong ?? are my tires just too sticky ?
Yep ideally you want something that slides a bit.
I got the Nero blx springs and wow what a difference on the Kraton 6s.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back