Stiffer shock springs, limiters etc for speed runs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what are the circle spring thingys? do u have a picture?

Didnt know how to call em.. Turns out they called shock pistons..
My car came with al whole bag of those..
4× 1.2mm 6 holes
4× 1.3mm 6 holes
4× 1.4mm 6 holes
4× blank

Pistons are attached at the top of the shock shaft.. Shock oil gets forced through the holes as the shaft moves up and down.. So, less or smaller holes mean shocks will stiffen up.. If theres allready the one with the smalles holes in there.. I would take the blanks.. And use a 1mm drill to drill 2 holes.. Test.. To stiff.. Drill a 3rd.. Test.. Ok? Great! To stiff.. Drill a 4th.. Test..

Its deff cheaper as.. Thicker oil.. Test.. To soft.. Thicker oil.. Test.. To hard.. Thinner oil..

Didnt know how to call em.. Turns out they called shock pistons..
My car came with al whole bag of those..
4× 1.2mm 6 holes
4× 1.3mm 6 holes
4× 1.4mm 6 holes
4× blank

Pistons are attached at the top of the shock shaft.. Shock oil gets forced through the holes as the shaft moves up and down.. So, less or smaller holes mean shocks will stiffen up.. If theres allready the one with the smalles holes in there.. I would take the blanks.. And use a 1mm drill to drill 2 holes.. Test.. To stiff.. Drill a 3rd.. Test.. Ok? Great! To stiff.. Drill a 4th.. Test..

Its deff cheaper as.. Thicker oil.. Test.. To soft.. Thicker oil.. Test.. To hard.. Thinner oil..
oh..i already got stiffer springs from tekno. quite a bit stiffer on all 4 corners. Not sure why i am traction rolling. Is it because of my new tires being too grippy? or is it because of my new stiffer springs?

Found some specs on the new Limitless/Infraction springs:

Front: 35mm 4.7N/mm (27lbf/in)
Rear: 40mm 6.6N/mm (38lbf/in)

No wonder these new chassis stay so flat and drift well. Stability at speed = short travel + some very hard springs.

Last edited:
can you link me which part number to use ? will it be too stiff for my Senton 6s ?
For speed runs you can go very stiff...
For handling bumps and turns that is a different story. I believe the Senton 6s springs are pretty short.
Get on the Arrma website and pull up the downloads section to look at the part numbers for the Senton 6s and when you pull up that part number it should give the length in mm.

The nero springs are extremely stiff but worked well for me:

Arrma #ARA330417
75mm shock spring (2) 317gf/mm

For speed runs you can go very stiff...
For handling bumps and turns that is a different story. I believe the Senton 6s springs are pretty short.
Get on the Arrma website and pull up the downloads section to look at the part numbers for the Senton 6s and when you pull up that part number it should give the length in mm.

The nero springs are extremely stiff but worked well for me:

Arrma #ARA330417
75mm shock spring (2) 317gf/mm

I usually run my senton on road. so i want something that doesn't traction roll. Right now i stiffer springs (80mm length) and when i turn the rear outside wheel lifts off the ground. id like the car to stay more flat and drift instead of rolling over...thinknig maybe going for a much much stiffer spring like nero and 65mm in length. u think that will work well ?

I usually run my senton on road. so i want something that doesn't traction roll. Right now i stiffer springs (80mm length) and when i turn the rear outside wheel lifts off the ground. id like the car to stay more flat and drift instead of rolling over...thinknig maybe going for a much much stiffer spring like nero and 65mm in length. u think that will work well ?
The springs will help reduce the body roll, but you would have to lower the vehicle as low as possible also (droop screws). At some point it could just be the tires...

sorry..what is the droop screw ? what parts do i need for that mod ?
The droop screws are in the lower a-arms. These run into the chassis and keep the car's suspension from extending. Basically it forces the lowered suspension condition without having to open up the shocks and install travel limiters.
I have seen people install longer screws to extend the function beyond what the stock screw does.

The droop screws are in the lower a-arms. These run into the chassis and keep the car's suspension from extending. Basically it forces the lowered suspension condition without having to open up the shocks and install travel limiters.
I have seen people install longer screws to extend the function beyond what the stock screw does.

View attachment 44708
thanks ! i think i will need to do that since i am going with springs that are 20mm shorter than stock

I'm sure they will be fine.
The original Typhon rear springs were 84mm long and the Hot Racing black springs I'm using now are 65mm. Tightened them down to where I liked them and there is still room for more adjustment if needed.

View attachment 40059
Hey GMballistic,

I have a stock Typhon 6s BLX V4, (2019 model), that will be used strictly for fast, straight runs on asphalt.

What springs would you suggest for both the front and rear? Also, what weight=(CST) fluid. Again for front and rear?

Oh yeah, this car will have a rocket incorporated into the build, (I started a couple of threads about this).

Many thank's.

What springs would you suggest for both the front and rear? Also, what weight=(CST) fluid. Again for front and rear?
The suspension set up can be a very personal thing depending on how you drive, want it to handle, weight of the vehicle and the surface you're on.

Personally as I said in my earlier post I am using Hot Racing Nero black springs all round which work for me; stiff but not too stiff. There are plenty of options that Hot Racing do in the Nero spring range though so you could choose one from that;
- NRO6509: soft (black)
- NRO6508: medium (white)
- NRO6506: firm (gold)
- NRO6802: soft preload springs (red)
- NRO6806: medium preload springs (blue)
- NRO6808: firm preload springs (white)

Link: https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=NRO6509;c=1019

As for the shock oil same deal again.
I'm using RC Core 1000CST silicone oil in my Typhon which works for it (almost double what it came with from Arrma) but then my Limitless has 2000CST in it from Arrma as standard which I don't intend changing. Try somewhere in that range I'd say to see what suits you. (y)

The suspension set up can be a very personal thing depending on how you drive, want it to handle, weight of the vehicle and the surface you're on.

Personally as I said in my earlier post I am using Hot Racing Nero black springs all round which work for me; stiff but not too stiff. There are plenty of options that Hot Racing do in the Nero spring range though so you could choose one from that;
- NRO6509: soft (black)
- NRO6508: medium (white)
- NRO6506: firm (gold)
- NRO6802: soft preload springs (red)
- NRO6806: medium preload springs (blue)
- NRO6808: firm preload springs (white)

Link: https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=NRO6509;c=1019

As for the shock oil same deal again.
I'm using RC Core 1000CST silicone oil in my Typhon which works for it (almost double what it came with from Arrma) but then my Limitless has 2000CST in it from Arrma as standard which I don't intend changing. Try somewhere in that range I'd say to see what suits you. (y)
Both the Typhon and the limitless that I ordered, will arrive early next week.

Thank you for advice and link. I'll try the Nero "Black" springs and 1000CST or 15000CST, (if RC Core carries it)

Have a great New Year

Yes specifically I went with the "Hot Racing Black springs" (NRO6509) designed originally for the Nero. They are softer than a stock Arrma Nero spring but a lot stiffer than the Typhon springs.
More info here: https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=NRO6509;c=1019

I love them tbh.
They're so much thicker and beefier than the standard springs were & the firmness of the ride is just right imho.
View attachment 40054

did you need different spring cups on the bottom? Do those springs have a larger diameter than stock?

did you need different spring cups on the bottom? Do those springs have a larger diameter than stock?
No modification need to the standard shocks at all ~ fit with the standard spring cups.

The overall diameter of them AFAIK is the same but the springs themselves have thicker diameter coils. Makes them look even better I think.

All fits the standard 6S shocks without modification. (y)

No modification need to the standard shocks at all ~ fit with the standard spring cups.

The overall diameter of them AFAIK is the same but the springs themselves have thicker diameter coils. Makes them look even better I think.

All fits the standard 6S shocks without modification. (y)

that is awesome, thank you bro ??

For those that don't know I do speed runs with my Arrma Typhon 6S, thread here: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/speed-runner-typhon-6s-uk-built-fast-not-bought-fast.10482/

I'm looking for some help/ideas please on how to stiffen up my suspension set up a little ~ specifically types of thicker/stiffer springs that will work with the stock Arrma springs and maybe some type of shock limiters.

What I'm trying to do is stop the buggy from bottoming out which it has on occasion. I've got an RPM skid plate fitted to the rear of the chassis plate but as it's already taken a hit so I'd like to see what else I can do to limit this happening further.

So suggestions on spring replacements, shock oil weight replacement, limiters etc and where to buy (if possible UK available) would be very much appreciated.
Thank you for any info. (y)
Fuel tubing on your shock shaft

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back