Still a single color newb.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moirae

Beauty & Beast
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
  5. Kraton 8S
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Kraton 4s
  8. Mojave EXB
  9. Notorious
  10. Outcast 8s
  11. Outcast EXB
  12. Talion EXB
  13. Typhon 3s
  14. Typhon 6s
  15. Typhon TLR
20220611_195540.jpg

Typhon GT bitty seven65

Thanks guys! Tbh this is one of my best attempts so far. I had zero paint bleed or whatever it's called. Each time I do a body it's an experience though lol. I can't seem to ever get the body holes to be perfect. Even when I think they're perfect in the test fit when it's time for the real deal something always off a little lol. I'll get it perfect one day though!

Thanks guys! Tbh this is one of my best attempts so far. I had zero paint bleed or whatever it's called. Each time I do a body it's an experience though lol. I can't seem to ever get the body holes to be perfect. Even when I think they're perfect in the test fit when it's time for the real deal something always off a little lol. I'll get it perfect one day though!
If it's yours you're the only one who sees the imperfections. But then again you're the only one it should matter to so I feel you.
Looks killer!🤩

My very first paint job was many moons ago. I tried a 3 color job and it was a mess for my very first time. So unhappy with it. I remember trying to copy a picture of a track rig on the cover of "Radio Control Car Action" magazine long ago. There was no internet back then. I subscribed to RCCA and other magazines back then. Wife would renew my subscriptions as a present every Christmas for years.
Now I like a 2 or 3 color job at a minimum. Just comes with patience, more prep, and practice. Once you start with masking/ designing your graphics, that's a whole new ball game.
One color is fine. Does the job and is quick. One and Done.:LOL:
Nice job.(y)

Last edited:
Very nice! What blue did you use and what did you back it with?
PS-59 Dark Metallic Blue, I think I did 4-5 coats, I then did 3 coats of Spaz Stix "Silver Metallic" Backer Spray and 2 coats of ps-5 black. I did the wing with like 5 coats of the spaz stix silver metallic backer spray too. It's actually nowhere near as dull as it looks in the pic.

PS-59 Dark Metallic Blue, I think I did 4-5 coats, I then did 3 coats of Spaz Stix "Silver Metallic" Backer Spray and 2 coats of ps-5 black. I did the wing with like 5 coats of the spaz stix silver metallic backer spray too. It's actually nowhere near as dull as it looks in the pic.
Pictures never do justice. I can imagine how it looks in person😎

Not sure where along the process you make your body post holes. I typically proceed as follows (has worked out pretty well so far):
  1. Remove any protruding bits front and back (i.e. diffusors, splitters, bumpers, etc.)
  2. Mount body post holders that fit the width of the body where the body posts will protrude through flattest part of the body front/rear
  3. Mount wheels that will fit snug inside the wheel cutouts without bulging the body (no cutting though, this is how I center the body left/right)
  4. Push the body down until the tops of the wheel wells are 2-3mm above the tire with the axle centered in the wheel cutout
  5. All this will hold the body in place for marking the body post positions
  6. Mark the front body post holes with a marker 1-2mm outside of where the center of the body post is (this provides a little tension)
  7. Mark the rear body post holes 1-2mm forward of where the center of the body post is (body needs to be pulled slightly back when putting the body on, again providing tension)
  8. Pre-drill the holes with a standard body hole reamer 2-3mm diameter
  9. I then drill the actual holes with a stepped drill to 8mm, once from the front and once from the rear to clear out burrs and leftovers
1655055896186.png

Only once I've done this do I proceed with cutting out the rest of the body, masking, painting, etc.. Like said, this has been a really reliable way for me to get the body to sit where I envisioned it when I began the process. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Thanks man, I love metallic blues and yeah, I bet it really sparkles and shines in the sunlight.

Not sure where along the process you make your body post holes. I typically proceed as follows (has worked out pretty well so far):
  1. I remove any protruding bits front and back (i.e. diffusors, splitters, bumpers, etc.)
  2. mount body post holders that fit the width of the body where the body posts will protrude through flattest part of the body front/rear
  3. I mount wheels that will fit snug inside the wheel cutouts without bulging the body (no cutting though, this is how I center the body left/right)
  4. Push the body down until the tops of the wheel wells are 2-3mm above the tire with the axle centered in the wheel cutout
  6. I mark the front body post holes with a marker 1-2mm outside of where the center of the body post is (this provides a little tension)
  7. I mark the rear body post holes 1-2mm forward of where the center of the body post is (body needs to be pulled slightly back when putting the body on, again providing tension)
  8. I pre-drill the holes with a standard body hole reamer 2-3mm diameter
  9. I then drill the actual holes with a stepped drill to 8mm, once from the front and once from the rear to clear out burrs and leftovers
View attachment 223235

Only once I've done this do I proceed with cutting out the rest of the body, masking, painting, etc.. Like said, this has been a really reliable way for me to get the body to sit where I envisioned it when I began the process. Hope this helps :)
Yeah you really need to cut and drill and trim/fit the body completely while it is Clear, before you even consider paint.

1. I remove any protruding bits front and back (i.e. diffusors, splitters, bumpers, etc.)
  2. mount body post holders that fit the width of the body where the body posts will protrude through flattest part of the body front/rear
  3. I mount wheels that will fit snug inside the wheel cutouts without bulging the body (no cutting though, this is how I center the body left/right)
  6. I mark the front body post holes with a marker 1-2mm outside of where the center of the body post is (this provides a little tension)
  7. I mark the rear body post holes 1-2mm forward of where the center of the body post is (body needs to be pulled slightly back when putting the body on, again providing tension)
  8. I pre-drill the holes with a standard body hole reamer 2-3mm diameter
View attachment 223235

This is super helpful, thank you. My main problem is just after I put the holes on I feel like the body doesn't line up the way I want but I already have holes in the body so I can't really do anything after that point. This post was very helpful though, Gotta get better at placing those holes in the right spot.

This is super helpful, thank you. My main problem is just after I put the holes on I feel like the body doesn't line up the way I want but I already have holes in the body so I can't really do anything after that point. This post was very helpful though, Gotta get better at placing those holes in the right spot.
Sure thing, hope it gets you where you want to be. Yeah, once you've drilled the holes you're kinda locked in. I probably spend the most time on this one procedure because there's really no easy way to correct it that I'm aware of that will give you that virgin body back. Virgin? Drilling holes? Have I veered off into some thinly veiled euphemism? NO!! Get your mind out of the gutter. I'm speaking mostly to myself of course. What can I say...I'm 12.

Sure thing, hope it gets you where you want to be. Yeah, once you've drilled the holes you're kinda locked in. I probably spend the most time on this one procedure because there's really no easy way to correct it that I'm aware of that will give you that virgin body back. Virgin? Drilling holes? Have I veered off into some thinly veiled euphemism? NO!! Get your mind out of the gutter. I'm speaking mostly to myself of course. What can I say...I'm 12.
Really, some one on here is younger than me lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back