Stock arrma motor keeps burning up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimindo

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
  2. Granite
my mega motor seems to keep burning up, i just burnt my 3rd one in a month and a half, electronics are all stock, im use a RCKING 5000mah 40c C 80c B 2S. the first motor was a beauty for 2 months.

your using a brushed motor with a decent lipo battery, 5000mAH = 5 Amp Capacity, with a discharge of 40C your able to push (discharge X Capacity) 200 amps. your esc is rated at 35A (you might be fine here as your motor can't draw that much right now) but your definitely pushing a lot of power to your motor and brushed motors are notorious for getting hot, i would consider ditching the brushed motor if you want to run the lipo battery and go with an entry level brushless.

conveniently you can just look no further then the Granite BLS for a good motor to slot in: http://www.Arrma-rc.com/part/AR390095
and
if you decide you want to upgrade the esc http://www.Arrma-rc.com/part/AR390096
that's the ESC for the BLS.

the down side of the mega really is that it's not meant to run lipos the info on the Arrma website even state that the ESC is only meant to run with NiMh batteries. Long story short is you've got too much power for the electronics of the Mega and your going to continue burning up motors and eventually the ESC until you upgrade them.

your using a brushed motor with a decent LiPo battery, 5000mAH = 5 Amp Capacity, with a discharge of 40C your able to push (discharge X Capacity) 200 amps. your ESC is rated at 35A (you might be fine here as your motor can't draw that much right now) but your definitely pushing a lot of power to your motor and brushed motors are notorious for getting hot, i would consider ditching the brushed motor if you want to run the LiPo battery and go with an entry level brushless.

conveniently you can just look no further then the Granite BLS for a good motor to slot in: http://www.Arrma-rc.com/part/AR390095
and
if you decide you want to upgrade the ESC http://www.Arrma-rc.com/part/AR390096
that's the ESC for the BLS.

the down side of the mega really is that it's not meant to run lipos the info on the Arrma website even state that the ESC is only meant to run with NiMh batteries. Long story short is you've got too much power for the electronics of the Mega and your going to continue burning up motors and eventually the ESC until you upgrade them.

Thanks, it's just my first motor was alright so I thought one of these 3 would be that one in a million, I have a kraton in back order right now, so I don't really want to upgrade this one as its my first purchase. and btw my brother has the fury mega and is running the same setup as I am, he isn't having problems...

it's not necessarily going to be an immediate failure due to running the 2s lipo's i just felt i should warn you that they aren't designed to run of them. with the output from a 2s setup your only a little over what everything is rated for and depending on manufacturing quality and such you can and will see setups that run just fine while another duplicate build may have nothing but problems.

I burned up the 15T motor in my Mega Fury within 2 packs using a 5000 mAh 35C LiPo. I'm not sure about the Granite but I assume the Mega electrics are the same across the Arram line (assuming the same year of production). My Mega ESC was not brushless compatible so I doubt the one in the Granite will be either. So if you do elect to make the upgrade from brushed to brushless you'll need to replace both the motor and the ESC. I exchanged my Mega electrics out for the Castle Sidewinder SCT combo. I've found it to be a very nice system. For just a few extra dollars you can get a control card that will allow more adjustments than you probably need.

Hi

The reason you guys are burning up your motors is because they are stock unmodifiable motors, even the Traxxas Titan motor are stock unmodifiable motor. Has anyone ever thought about upgrading to a good modified motor. Most modified motors have bearings, removable brushes, timing advance, and you can take them completely apart to do a good cleaning.

Hi

The reason you guys are burning up your motors is because they are stock unmodifiable motors, even the Traxxas Titan motor are stock unmodifiable motor. Has anyone ever thought about upgrading to a good modified motor. Most modified motors have bearings, removable brushes, timing advance, and you can take them completely apart to do a good cleaning.
i thought about it, but like i said. i got a kraton in order, so really no point of getting upgrades. have "2 year warranty" till i get that good set.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back