Kraton Stock Controller is BAD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kavik Kang

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
I think everyone knows this, but I thought this would be some real confirmation for other new people like me. The Spektrum contoller that comes with new Arrma cars is really, really bad. I am a FIRST TIME user. I just drove an RC car for the very first time, and the main thing I came away with from that experience was... this controller is almost useless, I am going to have to find a way to get DX5C sooner than I thought. This controller reminds me of an old school TV that is wearing out and you have to hit it on top with your fist to fix the picture. The car very often won't go in reverse, no matter what power setting the controller is on, and you have to flip the power setting switch around to "turn reverse back on". It also doesn't always "catch the command" to turn left and you have to center the wheel and turn left again for it to actually happen. I drove the car for about 30 minutes... the car is AMAZING... the controller makes it seem almost broken. It's so bad that even a first time user immediately notices that it doesn't really even work. It doesn't always "catch commands" and you have to flip switches to unglich it, or keep repeating a command until it actually happens.

I will be stuck with it for a while, but I have a sea of relatively flat field in front of my house I am using it on. There is nothing to run into, so when it doesn't turn left I have all the room in the world to try turning left again, haha! I'm new so it doesn't bother me as much as it would an experienced driver... I can barely control the car anyway. But I was going to just use this controller until I decided if I wanted to get a 6S car and really get into this, but now I think I am going to get a DX5C as soon as I can afford one.

I have no issues with the Controller on my talion on 4s.
I think it is not really a good one,
But not so bad like some people say.

They just added it to all the re-released 3s line vehicles :poop:
And yes bam, it is. Just because you got lucky and aren't having problems doesn't mean a multitude of others aren't. The amount of flack I've seen for this radio is unreal and not just on this forum but other places as well.

Infraction comes with different controller you think there going to put them in the other cars? Getting ready to get my son a kraton

Saying that the stock controller is bad is being way to nice.

I will be stuck with it for a while, but I have a sea of relatively flat field in front of my house I am using it on. There is nothing to run into, so when it doesn't turn left I have all the room in the world to try turning left again, haha! I'm new so it doesn't bother me as much as it would an experienced driver... I can barely control the car anyway. But I was going to just use this controller until I decided if I wanted to get a 6S car and really get into this, but now I think I am going to get a DX5C as soon as I can afford one.
As much as I like my DX5C I wish I would have went with the Futaba. The scroll wheel on DX5C is rather touchy, it is too easy to click the wheel while trying to scroll and the power button gets stuck for some people.
Infraction comes with different controller you think there going to put them in the other cars? Getting ready to get my son a kraton
Probably not. I fear we might be stuck with the STX2 for a while :(

Last edited:
I'll have to look at controllers again, I don't really need a DX5C for one car... and maybe there is something I would like better. I really care mostly about the wheel and throttle, I don't really need a huge amount of programmable capabilities. Is there a controller that has a really good throttle and steering wheel but isn't all that computerized so it doesn't cost much but has the quality of controls of the better controllers? That would be perfect for me with only one car.

Is this what you’re looking for?
image.jpg

Very, very reliable. Very.

I run Sanwa, it's only the MX-6 which is their entry level radio, but they have waterproof receivers(with an antenna wire). The cost of receivers is very good and it can run 10 models, with all the type of adjustments you need for a ready to run. They aren't compatible with telemetry, but I don't use it. It has a digital display and menus for epa, expo, sub trim, ect it's got a lot of features and has been a great radio.
Is this what you’re looking for?
View attachment 41520
Very, very reliable. Very.
I just bought another one, to keep as a spare, its one of the best radios for an rtr.

Yes, the Tactic are what used to come with Arrma, from what I have read that would have been perfect. But I'm pretty sure I'll keep doing this, and I'll probably have 3 cars someday. This one, a 6S off road/monster tire car, and if I can learn to jump and find a BMX track I'll get another 6S car just for BMX tracks. I haven't looked yet. but something like a Talion looks like it is made to rule the BMX tracks... but I've got a least year to look into that:) But I'd rather just spend $120 on something like a DX5C or an equivalent Futuba or something now then $50 on a Tactic and they buy an expensive one next summer. So I guess I'll look at those "first level" good controllers like a DX5C.

I figured out that the T-Bone front bumper I ordered with it isn't missing a screw, once you take into account re-using the screws that are already there is actually has 3 extra screws... so the bumper is on it now! I got the bumper and Backflip tires with it and they are all on it now.

Yes, the Tactic are what used to come with Arrma, from what I have read that would have been perfect. But I'm pretty sure I'll keep doing this, and I'll probably have 3 cars someday. This one, a 6S off road/monster tire car, and if I can learn to jump and find a BMX track I'll get another 6S car just for BMX tracks. I haven't looked yet. but something like a Talion looks like it is made to rule the BMX tracks... but I've got a least year to look into that:) But I'd rather just spend $120 on something like a DX5C or an equivalent Futuba or something now then $50 on a Tactic and they buy an expensive one next summer. So I guess I'll look at those "first level" good controllers like a DX5C.

I figured out that the T-Bone front bumper I ordered with it isn't missing a screw, once you take into account re-using the screws that are already there is actually has 3 extra screws... so the bumper is on it now! I got the bumper and Backflip tires with it and they are all on it now.
If you're new to surface vehicles, a DX5C is a good choice if you are willing to learn how to not overuse the settings. Meaning complete overkill for bashing cars. Tactics, middle tier flyskys, DX2Es, etc are not idiot proof but are way more intuitive. You can get into trouble fast if you start to play around with the settings on the DX5. However the one thing I love about it is that you can use it for multiple vehicles with individual settings. Perfect for a racing fleet. Terrible if you ever want anyone to try out a rig. I deal with both scenarios, so I rather keep my racing fleet personal & leave all the RTRs with labeled radios - if they work & the STX2 doesn't, period.

FWIW I didn't like the Tactic very much either, but at least it worked. I've been using a Spektrum for all my trucks since day 1. I'd tell you it has worked very well but I don't want to be called a liar again ?

FWIW I didn't like the Tactic very much either, but at least it worked. I've been using a Spektrum for all my trucks since day 1. I'd tell you it has worked very well but I don't want to be called a liar again ?
Not gonna lie it took awhile to get what fwiw was an acronym for lol

So... it takes 2.5 hours to charge the batteries with the charger I have, and the car runs for 35-40 minutes. I got in 4 charges today. I could have sworn that it wasn't always turning left the first time I drove it, but I never felt that again. The two issues I have with the controller after using it all day is that it rarely goes in reverse on the first try and that it seems "off center". I have the car aligned very well now after messing with it after each run. This last one it seemed to go straight as an arrow when you let off the wheel. I finally realized the issue... when you turn the car and controller on with the controller centered the wheels turn right a little bit, and you have to ajust the trim left a little to bring them back to how they are with the car and controller off. Once I figured that out, I had it running straight very quickly. Since I am not doing big jumps where I need reverse to be reliable (it seems to brake every time, just not reverse) that doesn't bother me too much, I'll be able to live with this controller at first. Since I can still barely drive anyway, haha. The car is amazing. It's everything I thought it would be. I only flipped it over 3 times all day and this is a somewhat bounce natural field. The car glides over it much better than I thought it would, you can easily go a lot faster that I thought I'd be able to go on it and in clings to the ground in turns even over this rough and bumpy terrain for something it's size. I didn't have any problems with anything all day long... except...

Is there a trick to taking out and putting in the body pins? Or some kind of cheap tool that helps with it. I can barely get them in, and getting them out when you have to either pull them or push the pointy side is VERY hard. The body pins are the hardest part of this so far, haha!

Is there a trick to taking out and putting in the body pins? Or some kind of cheap tool that helps with it. I can barely get them in, and getting them out when you have to either pull them or push the pointy side is VERY hard. The body pins are the hardest part of this so far, haha!
Needle-nosed pliers FTW (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back