Stock Electronics + 23T pinion experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremonti

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Who’s running stock electronics and a 23T pinion? I’m primarily interested in temperatures and run time. Do you also drive offroad with this setup, or exclusively onroad?

I got one for free (mod1.5) and would like to check current experiences before I change to the 23T.

Thanks!

Not many run stock electronics. It is pretty much maxed out. But you will be fine a lot of guys were running 27 with no problems really. Just watch temps like with any gear up.

I have runned the stock electronic and 23T many times now. Timing 0 punch level 4.

So far it haven't been hot at all, only thing that heat up to 45c is my batteries, motor and esc seems fine after 20 min of bashing, temps on motor is 32-33c and esc 22-23c, used it most on grass and dirt road. But outside temp have only been around 8-10c.

Anyway with this low temp im sure it would be just fine when we getting 20c outside also, but always more sceptic when it really starts to be summer with 30c outside.

I want to report here after been lucky and had a few days with warm weather.

Temp outside was 22c/71.6F in the shadow and it was sunny days with 30c/86F in the sun.
After 20 min bashing on grass,dirt road and road the temp with 23T pinion was:

Motor 49c/120.2F
Esc 39C/102.2F
50c lipo 5000mah 48C/118.4F
Timing 0, punch 4

So the stuff that starting to struggle here is the batteries, this electronic seems very solid and the cooling system does a great job. When we reach real summer with 30c/86F im curious to see what the temps would be. But in hot days like that i have always needed to take at least one break with my other brushless trucks during a pack.

Last edited:
Never had temp issues around my area, from 45-75f days out with stock system and 24t pinion. Doing off road jumps/flip and short bursts of WOT and dirt wall runs with no issues.

Started on punch 3 on the way to punch 5. Did not mess with the timing. Running 5200 mah 50c packs.

I’m looking at this upgrade right now, thanks for all the great info! I’m running all stock hardware, fans etc with V1.5 and I thought jumping from 17T to 23T would be hard on the motor and batteries (so was thinking about 21T instead) but it looks like you guys have done exactly that! Now just need to wait for my replacement front shock tower and diff case

I've ran mine off road with 23t pinion and stock electronics. Super fast, but the esc starts acting like it's on LVC only after like 7 minutes and the total run time for me is like 12 minutes maximum on 4s 6500mAh. I'm going to try my SMC 9400 xmaxx batteries next time. I do have the 21t pinion if I see run time less than 20 minutes. TBH the stock esc seems to be struggling with the 23t pinion.

I've ran mine off road with 23t pinion and stock electronics. Super fast, but the esc starts acting like it's on LVC only after like 7 minutes and the total run time for me is like 12 minutes maximum on 4s 6500mAh. I'm going to try my SMC 9400 xmaxx batteries next time. I do have the 21t pinion if I see run time less than 20 minutes. TBH the stock esc seems to be struggling with the 23t pinion.
That sure doesn't sound right, do you have the lvc cutoff set on high?
Maybe you have a bad cell or two?

That sure doesn't sound right, do you have the lvc cutoff set on high?
Maybe you have a bad cell or two?
LVC is off. Those same batteries last 30 minutes on the xmaxx. I've had the same runtime on the xmaxx when the gearing was too tall also.

Last edited:
LVC is off. Those same batteries last 30 minutes on the xmaxx. I've had the same runtime on the xmaxx when the gearing was too tall also.
Seems weird what conditions are you running in? Grass, street, rocky?

I've had 20-30 min runs constantly with hk 5000mah 4s batteries with a 23t and advanced timing. What are your temps like?

Mine has stock electronics and 23t pinion and I ran it last night. Motor got up to 160F and the ESC wasn’t too far behind in the 140s. It’s super hot and humid here in New Jersey, so that may contribute to higher temps.

I recently ordered NTF fans for the motor and ESC to hopefully bring temps down a bit more. I’m even tempted to drill some holes in the body to allow more airflow.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back