Kraton Stock esc fan problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
Does anyone else having trouble with the stock fan in the BLX 185 ESC? Seams like a have to replace my fan way to often and is getting expensive

I had to resolder my wires twice. The last time I did it i put a blob of glue on them, hope that will help them stay put.

Some the wires come off but most time ifs the fan just stoppin, something inside I guess. I do like to jump this thing.

Anyone think it could be a problem with the ESC?
It might be how tight you tighten down the screws. If you do not put even force on the 4 screws, or you over tighten them, The frame of the fan can become bent ever so slightly and that will cause the fan blade to become out of alignment.
I have many 6s Arrma rigs and I’ve replaced one fan in 2 years. I play hard and I’ve never an issue.

You could try a 30mm 28000rpm alu fan. it fits if you twist it and just tighten the fan cover over it. Holds up well for me.

Attachments

• 20200526_061456.jpg
    20200526_061456.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 48
I'm trying something similar right now on my Max6, which has an identical fan. Using a 30mm, held with one screw and supported by foam on the bottom. the other 3 screws hold the frame in check. No runtime yet but looks promising.

I had good luck with these, they are definitely not any worse but a lot cheaper. You will have to modify the connector though.

https://www.amazon.com/WINSINN-Hydr...=1&keywords=35mm+fan+5V&qid=1590436913&sr=8-3
Same with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0782RHV3T

My blx185 fan has held up well in my outcast, but I just busted the fan in my max6 yesterday. One of the blades is gone. I finagled a way to put a hobbystar 30mm aluminum cage fan in there. It pushes more air than what was there and any other 35mm fan I had on hand, so as long as it stays put, it should work as well or better than what died.

Great minds think alike! I installed my 30mm yesterday.
I egged out 2 of the holes in the bottom of the fan, ran my counter sink bit in the top and used 2 flat head screws at an angle to lock it in where the cover screws would go. I used the other two cover screws to hold the cover. The wires coming out of the front seem to hold the front of the cover down towards the cap end.
2020-0525-Outcast-max6-Hobbystar30mmFan.jpg

Will see how it holds up. I didn't do anything that can't be undone. Worse case, I take the 35mm fan I have, clip the blade tips, put the spacer on the motor to support it and go with that.

do you have a piece of screen covering the fan. the arrma covers holes allows debris in and fan failure.

I egged out 2 of the holes in the bottom of the fan, ran my counter sink bit in the top and used 2 flat head screws at an angle to lock it in where the cover screws would go. I used the other two cover screws to hold the cover. The wires coming out of the front seem to hold the front of the cover down towards the cap end.
2020-0525-Outcast-max6-Hobbystar30mmFan.jpg

Will see how it holds up. I didn't do anything that can't be undone. Worse case, I take the 35mm fan I have, clip the blade tips, put the spacer on the motor to support it and go with that.
ive been thinking of clipping my esc fan too.

do you have a piece of screen covering the fan. the arrma covers holes allows debris in and fan failure.
No... thought about that after the fact. :(

May take it back apart and put some screen in there. I usually just drive in grass, so it's not something I concern myself with much. My biggest issue with fan damage is the idiot with the tools that works on my trucks, (me). That guy is kind of like a bull in a china closet and likes dropping things (still me).

On my 30mm, I'm just using 1 corner screw, have sticky foam underneath and above to hold the fan in place, the other 3 screws act like a cage. Nothing stock to modify. I have to to give it a trial run and therefore no idea how it will hold up. It's more secure than the stock mounting imho.
I have mine covered with screen, not as neat and tight as it clogs up quickly with grass. I have it loose like a bubble and secured on all 4 corners.

On my 30mm, I'm just using 1 corner screw, have sticky foam underneath and above to hold the fan in place, the other 3 screws act like a cage. Nothing stock to modify. I have to to give it a trial run and therefore no idea how it will hold up. It's more secure than the stock mounting imho.
I have mine covered with screen, not as neat and tight as it clogs up quickly with grass. I have it loose like a bubble and secured on all 4 corners.
What ESC? A 30mm barely reaches the 4 corners that are level with each other on the max6. I had to really try to get the screws to dig in at an angle. I wanted all 4 corners supported by the esc and at least 2 screws holding the fan in place.

Just did this on my Max6 as the stock fan doesn't cut it. 1 screw through the aluminum fan housing in one corner, mounted square. The other 3 act like a cage, sticky foam custom cut to support the bottom and top. If it holds up I'll take it apart and get some pics.
I did try the fan clip and mesh thing but I a rock (or something pushed down the mesh and impeded the fan blades. I like to keep my mesh on the outside.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back