stock esc + hobbywing 5687(1100kv) vs 56113(800kv) which one is better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will get more torque with a lower KV, not necessarily get higher revs. and faster speeds. Going with the lower KV motor, plan on gearing up the pinion size at the same time. Have you tried gearing up the stock motor first? Most guys are gearing up before they think about swapping motors and ESC's. To get the most of the stock setup, try gearing up first. But that's your call, your wallet. Others may chime in. :cool:
The differnce between 1100kv and 1250kv is small. Performance that can vary from brand to brand of motors. KV is not defined well enough and is a rough guide IMHO. When you get KVs that are close(within 150kv of each other like above), its the luck of the draw which will be higher revving or has more torque. Of course name brands like TP or Poseidon will have the best performance by comparison to mainstream or stock motors within given specs. :cool: Diameter and length of armature generally determines the torque and speed.

Last edited:
You will get more torque with a lower KV, not necessarily get higher revs. and faster speeds. Going with the lower KV motor, plan on gearing up the pinion size. Have you tried gearing up the stock motor first? Most guys are gearing up before they think about swapping motors and ESC's. To get the most of the stock setup, try gearing up first. But that's your call, your wallet. Others may chime in. :cool:
I'm currently using a 24t pinion, and I'm going to change it because I think I'm running out of power when I jump
I wish it was expensive, but the money is limited. I'm trying to choose the one with the best performance cost at the best price.

I'm currently using a 24t pinion, and I'm going to change it because I think I'm running out of power when I jump
I wish it was expensive, but the money is limited. I'm trying to choose the one with the best performance cost at the best price.
You need to search the 8s threads and builds as others have changed them.
@bicketybam changed his motor and ESC out the box. I don't recall what he used. Check his YT videos regarding his 8S. He's a great basher and knows Arrma inside out.

From my own experience the stock motor is very very good. I currently have 5687 and Max5 and my buddies stock setup with only 25 t has the same too speed and torque . I am currently running 29T. Also, the stock motor runs cooler than mine. If you ask me, it was waste of money.

From my own experience the stock motor is very very good. I currently have 5687 and Max5 and my buddies stock setup with only 25 t has the same too speed and torque . I am currently running 29T. Also, the stock motor runs cooler than mine. If you ask me, it was waste of money.
I'm currently running my O8S with stock electronics and 21t pinion and it's a BEAST personally for me. It easily does backflips off my ramps that don't have much of an angle. I just don't understand why some people think that the stock electronics on the O8S are under powered. I'm happy with one backflip. Not double or triple or other crazy crap. That's my honest opinion. On the K8S I run a 23t pinion and I'll probably go 25t so that I can get easier backflips. Maybe.

Last edited:
I'm running 25T in an Outcast on stock electronics and so far all is good, was going to go down some teeth but temps are fine for me.
Personally I would experiment with different pinions before rushing out and buying new motor/esc.

Why made the decision of a max5 esc and not the max6 esc?
Since the 1100kv is in combo with the max6 esc ...

What is the advantage of the max5 esc compared to max6?
Isn't the max5 esc too powerful for the 1100kv motor?
What about the prescribed kv values?
(KV Rating / T Count - 8S LiPo: KV ≤ 1000)
Can you run a 1100 kv on it with certainty?

Additional question;
With the 1100kv HW, do you have to adjust the motor holder for this?
or can you mount it in the original holder?
With Stock spur, what pinion do you need to go a lot faster (and still lift the front) than with the standard combo?
(not thinking about heat)

You need a much smaller spur in order to take advantage of the torque and speed of that motor. The 25t pinion and 39t spool would probably be much better for that set up.

Any ESC will provide only what the motor wants. Cell count being the common denominator. The running volts is the determining factor here.
An ESC has max. KV spec limitations. Stay within that when matching a motor. A motor has an RPM limit (voltage limit) KV x volts equals RPMS. An 8S capable ESC can run lower at say 6S. In this way the ESC will run more efficiently translating to less heat and affording better/cooler gearing options. :cool:

Why made the decision of a max5 esc and not the max6 esc?
Since the 1100kv is in combo with the max6 esc ...

What is the advantage of the max5 esc compared to max6?
Isn't the max5 esc too powerful for the 1100kv motor?
What about the prescribed kv values?
(KV Rating / T Count - 8S LiPo: KV ≤ 1000)
Can you run a 1100 kv on it with certainty?

Additional question;
With the 1100kv HW, do you have to adjust the motor holder for this?
or can you mount it in the original holder?
With Stock spur, what pinion do you need to go a lot faster (and still lift the front) than with the standard combo?
(not thinking about heat)
I always prefer some overkill with an esc vs. the engine. Currently i’m running an spektrum 160A (200A peak) on my Mojave with the stock 2050 Engine. This runs way cooler in ESC temps over the stock 150A and the 160A esc is way more efficiënt and has timing setting and so on. With an 200A(240A peak i think) esc in a 1/5th with 800/850 kv you get Some more power. With the 160A on a 1100KV you loose some small peak performance and run hotter on ESC temps but overall performance wil roughly is the same.
Q1, which one would be better for stock esc, hobbywing 800kv and 1100kv?

Q2. If I choose 1100kv, Can you feel the difference in power between 1250kv and 1100kv?
Just stay with stock 1250KV. Its a pretty good engine. You can upgrade the ESC to get some overhead. Main Reason for me if i should upgrade is the shaft diameter wich is bigger then at the stock engine.

A1: 800KV since its minimal difference between 1100 and 1250. See also above

A2: See A1 ☺️

Last edited:
You will get more torque with a lower KV, not necessarily get higher revs. and faster speeds. Going with the lower KV motor, plan on gearing up the pinion size at the same time. Have you tried gearing up the stock motor first? Most guys are gearing up before they think about swapping motors and ESC's. To get the most of the stock setup, try gearing up first. But that's your call, your wallet. Others may chime in. :cool:
The differnce between 1100kv and 1250kv is small. Performance that can vary from brand to brand of motors. KV is not defined well enough and is a rough guide IMHO. When you get KVs that are close(within 150kv of each other like above), its the luck of the draw which will be higher revving or has more torque. Of course name brands like TP or Poseidon will have the best performance by comparison to mainstream or stock motors within given specs. :cool: Diameter and length of armature generally determines the torque and speed.
There's a lot more torque in that 1100kv motor compared to stock. I'll say that for sure. So there is definitely a big difference since the 1100kv motor has a bigger diameter. I was never satisfied with the torque of the stock motor when it was on my Outcast 8s. It's just a 30lbs beast that needs more than that baby stock motor. I would do a Max 5 combo with the 1100kv motor and 35/47 gearing or 30/39 gearing. Buying just the motor is more expensive.

It's annoying that HW doesn't do the Max5 combo including the 1100kv motor !!! because I think for an Outcast that is the better choice of motor 👍🏼

It's annoying that HW doesn't do the Max5 combo including the 1100kv motor !!! because I think for an Outcast that is the better choice of motor 👍🏼
Really? Are you sure about that? Because I've bought at least two HW Max 5 and 1100kv 5687 combos. At least here in the US 🤔

Not having either HW motors to compare, I would venture to guess that 5687 will run cooler. What advantage a 26mm longer motor can/longer armature has depends on many factors. But its application (offroad vs onroad) may determine what is better.
Others may chime in on this with experience with both types of these 2 specific HW 1100kv cans.

Last edited:
I had seen the long can 1100's advertised on some of the direct from China sites when I was looking for my K8s EXB. Happy I supported my local store and got the 800kv max5 pack instead now.

Can't seem to find any mention of the 1100kv long can now when I'm searching. Maybe I'm too old for this stuff.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back