Talion Stock hearing on 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey6s

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
hey guys just wondering how stock gearing holds up while running 6s .. I run two power hobby 7600 75c 3s lipos after beating on the truck in some wet grass after 15/20 mins shut of truck because the engine felt super hot burned my finger when I touched it for more that a second.. was thinking it was because of the wet grass and all the grass wrapped around the rear driveshafts .. my biggest fear is theese damn diffs that noise is nothing that anyone ever wants to hear .. don't mind me being paranoid I get crazy everytime I get a new truck I baby the hell out of it

Well 6S is rough on the electronics in the grass. Grass puts up a a lot of resistance, therefor, the electronics need to work a ton harder. The diff's have their own forum just about in here. I learned from the wealth of knowledge here how to bulletproof mine. I.E, running a V3 Kraton, 18t pinion, 500k center diff fluid, 200 k front, 100k back. 2 WTF fans on the motor, and she is a cool character now all the time, while being a beast at the twitch of the throttle. It's all about trying different setups, and seeing whic works for you. Buy a cheap temp gun (20 bucks from harbor freight) and start messing around. 200 degrees bad. Thats where I was on 6S in my Talion. Did the changes above, plus diff shims, and dropped from 200 to 170 on a 90 degree day. 150 now that we are in the 80's.

I am a believer in the fans, but we have all had the discussion in here about them. You are in the right place to have the convo!!

Sounds good brother thanks for your reply . For some reason I am scared to get on it . I feel like the thing has to much power and I am just going to destroy it and the gears

The Tekno pinions are hardened steel, and I switched over to them. That should make sure you don’t break those! Breaking stuff on 6s will happen. I usually bash 4s with higher gearing, but that’s just my style. Have fun, break stuff, build it stronger! :)

I like the words of wisdom my friend . I m sure I'll be back asking for help very soon lol

Grass is tough on the motors - you need lots of power, lots of AMPS! You may need to drop a tooth or three on the pinion if grass running is your thing.

Also, get a proper temp meter. 130f will be too hot to touch for more than a second or so, 150 will leave marks on your skin, but the motor is happy up to 170f.

Here is one I use -
https://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-pocket-thermometer-93983.html

I will definitely grab a heat gun that's a great idea .. yea now I'm only running for 10-15 min at a time before pulling her over and shutting her down . Just to keep it safe. grass will be my main bashing surface until the track at the LHS dries out a bit after all this rain we got. The dude above commented somrthing about hardedened steel pinions? I'm no into speed runs or anything like that I'm looking for long term reliability on any surface . What would you guys do if you were me ?

And I love running 6s I love the extra punch and having all that fiddlesticking torque I don't think I could go back to 4s plus I spent a pretty penny on the pair of packs lol

If you have not broken the pinion, I vote don't worry about it now. But do watch it for wear. If you do break one, then a hardened pinion from a good brand is the best option. There are several good brands, Tekno is good, I also use Robinson Racing.
As a FYI, about a year ago, Arrma had a bad batch of pinions. People were losing teeth on their new truck in just a few runs. Seems I don't see many people complain about that recently, hopefully Arrma got that supply issue worked out.

I run 4S in my outcast, it overheats in the grass after 10-15 minutes. I run SMC 7400mah 2S packs. I tried running a set of traxxas 5000mah 3S packs this weekend with 14/50 gearing I was running on 4S. I set the throttle EPA to 75%, it overheated in about 11 minutes. I wasn't doing a whole lot of WOT, but it shut down on me a few times. When I check temps, I'm not seeing that high of temp on the esc or motor. 135F at most at the esc, 130F at the motor. I run a HW 40mm fan on my motor and whatever the stock fan is on the ESC.

I only tried the 6S packs because I bought them 1.5 years ago when I got my first brushless, a brushless revo v1. Then before I got the truck, I read how bad 6S is on it, so I ended up ordering SMC 9000mah 2S packs instead and only ever ran those.

So, I had 2 brand new traxxas 3S packs in the drawer unused... without a charger to charge them anymore, they have ID plugs on them specific to traxxas chargers. I cut them open and wired in proper 3S plugs and gave them a go. One cell in one of the packs puffed a bit and the voltage dropped below 3V, then others were all at 3.3V when LVC kicked in. That's what $50 of traxxas will get you. 1 and done. They are only 25C packs, but I figured I'd try them anyway and with my EPA at 75%, figured I wouldn't beat them up too bad... wrongo.

I run 4S in my outcast, it overheats in the grass after 10-15 minutes. I run SMC 7400mah 2S packs. I tried running a set of traxxas 5000mah 3S packs this weekend with 14/50 gearing I was running on 4S. I set the throttle EPA to 75%, it overheated in about 11 minutes. I wasn't doing a whole lot of WOT, but it shut down on me a few times. When I check temps, I'm not seeing that high of temp on the esc or motor. 135F at most at the esc, 130F at the motor. I run a HW 40mm fan on my motor and whatever the stock fan is on the ESC.

I only tried the 6S packs because I bought them 1.5 years ago when I got my first brushless, a brushless revo v1. Then before I got the truck, I read how bad 6S is on it, so I ended up ordering SMC 9000mah 2S packs instead and only ever ran those.

So, I had 2 brand new traxxas 3S packs in the drawer unused... without a charger to charge them anymore, they have ID plugs on them specific to traxxas chargers. I cut them open and wired in proper 3S plugs and gave them a go. One cell in one of the packs puffed a bit and the voltage dropped below 3V, then others were all at 3.3V when LVC kicked in. That's what $50 of traxxas will get you. 1 and done. They are only 25C packs, but I figured I'd try them anyway and with my EPA at 75%, figured I wouldn't beat them up too bad... wrongo.

My Kraton was my first 1/8 scale electric and I didn't know what to expect. I bought a 4s lipo and figured I'd start there. I installed the larger pinion and started bashing. It was neat at first but it really felt underpowered. No wheelies. Top end was slower than my converted brushless Granite. So I went and got two 3s packs to run in it. I was going to drop back to the original pinion but I never did. I enjoy the performance of 6s much more than 4s (at least in the Kraton.) I rarely go WOT. It's all about throttle control. I like the added burst when taking off on a jump. I find the extra power makes it easier to correct in the air. I ran the 4s battery the other day just for shits and grins. Sadly there weren't many grins. I plan on getting an Outcast and I'll start on the 4s until I learn the characteristics of the truck. I'm sure it will wheelie on 4s. It may be enough. It's not on the Kraton .

I plan on getting an Outcast and I'll start on the 4s until I learn the characteristics of the truck. I'm sure it will wheelie on 4s. It may be enough. It's not on the Kraton .
Yes, it wheelies all over the place. I got the t-bone wheelie bar 3 days after buying the truck. I can run wheelies across entire parking lots. Double flips are tough, don't have the wheel speed, at least controllable, but single flips are cake and frequent.

Yes, it wheelies all over the place. I got the t-bone wheelie bar 3 days after buying the truck. I can run wheelies across entire parking lots. Double flips are tough, don't have the wheel speed, at least controllable, but single flips are cake and frequent.

With the shorter wheelbase, that’s what I figured. The Kraton just can’t do it. Not even a wheelie on 4s.

With the shorter wheelbase, that’s what I figured. The Kraton just can’t do it. Not even a wheelie on 4s.
500k in the center diff helps. :)

I run 100/500/100 in the outcast. In theory, enough give to allow for bad landings to be soaked up in diff action and avoiding snapping bones, but stiff enough to get power to all 4 wheels all the time even when high centered.

500k in the center diff helps. :)

I run 100/500/100 in the outcast. In theory, enough give to allow for bad landings to be soaked up in diff action and avoiding snapping bones, but stiff enough to get power to all 4 wheels all the time even when high centered.

I run 500k in the center. No wheelies on 4s.

This what those cheap ass traxxas batteries do to arrmas. You have been warned, beware. Had the same 3s batteries you speak of and one let go about 5 minutes into a run and no heavy throttle

Attachments

• 20170405_152123.jpg
    20170405_152123.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 55
This what those cheap ass traxxas batteries do to arrmas. You have been warned, beware. Had the same 3s batteries you speak of and one let go about 5 minutes into a run and no heavy throttle
Yeah, I won't run them again. Not worth the risk. Guess I should have sold them both for $50 and taken the loss when someone low balled me 6 months back on the traxxas forum.

Yeah, I won't run them again. Not worth the risk. Guess I should have sold them both for $50 and taken the loss when someone low balled me 6 months back on the traxxas forum.
Unfortunately that's the way it goes in the rc world. Go into hobby store, buy $500 rc, run it once or twice and now it's only worth half of what you paid for it, sucks, along with the other people out there looking for a deal of a lifetime or wanting stuff for free or as close to it as possible.

My Kraton was my first 1/8 scale electric and I didn't know what to expect. I bought a 4s lipo and figured I'd start there. I installed the larger pinion and started bashing. It was neat at first but it really felt underpowered. No wheelies. Top end was slower than my converted brushless Granite. So I went and got two 3s packs to run in it. I was going to drop back to the original pinion but I never did. I enjoy the performance of 6s much more than 4s (at least in the Kraton.) I rarely go WOT. It's all about throttle control. I like the added burst when taking off on a jump. I find the extra power makes it easier to correct in the air. I ran the 4s battery the other day just for shits and grins. Sadly there weren't many grins. I plan on getting an Outcast and I'll start on the 4s until I learn the characteristics of the truck. I'm sure it will wheelie on 4s. It may be enough. It's not on the Kraton .

What batteries are you using? I got 4s 7400 90C SMC's and I have had no issues with wheelies. On grass and hard packed gravel I can wheelie, loose gravel I cant.

Im just wondering if the 90C helps in this situation

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back