Typhon Stock Mega motor alternatives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCBradRC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
The bushing in the shaft end of my ARRMA Mega motor wore out in the first hour of use. ARRMA’s replacing it under warranty, but they’re on backorder until August, so I’m looking into alternative replacements.

I’m looking at the Traxxas Titan 550 12T or a mild brushless setup like this Onyx kit:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-10-4p-3000kv-esc-motor-combo-p-onxs0500

Will I have issues with the Onyx kit overheating in a Typhon Mega running 2S? I don’t want to do the transmission upgrades that would be required to drop in a more powerful brushless setup. Just looking for something more reliable that performs at least as well as the stock mega motor.

I've also looked at the cheap brushless setups like GoolRC or ebay rebrands but it sounds like a crap shoot as to whether the ESC goes up in flames or not and I don't want to just throw my money away.

Go with a Holmes Hobbies Ball Bearing supported Brushed motor of the same wind as stock. Using a BLX 3000KV for the 4x4 may run a bit hot. Maybe not? Plan on changing out pinion (smaller) to accommodate any possible heat issues and drivetrain parts issues that may arise.. Others may chime in with their experiences with the 4x4 Mega series rigs. But if you don't want to start modding the drivetrain, stay with a brushed config. Cheaper in the long run. Welcome to AF. :cool:

IMO, any of the brushed motors are likely to have issues on LiPo power. (My friend's son has a Typhon MEGA -- runs awesome on NiMH.... for fun we lent him some packs of 2S and the motor burnt out pretty quick).

My first rig was (still is) the Granite MEGA (550 brushed, 4x4). By user error I accidentally blew out my ESC and (insert long story here) went 3800Kv Brushless w/ Castle SW4 ESC. I stick mostly to using 2S batteries (and still have a blast) but on occasion I'll pop in a 3S. I continue to run the stock 91T plastic spur gear though I have upgraded to the 20T pinion... Point is, lots of power behind still stock transmission parts.

Typhon MEGA is (people feel free to chime in and correct me if I'm mistaken) very similar in parts and design to the other MEGA vehicles. That said, same motor mount, same 91T spur, same 14T pinion -- etc... point is, same transmission parts.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/vehicle-comparison/ARA102714T1/ARA102694

If anything the smaller tires on the Typhon would offer less resistance and wear on the parts than the Granite's MT tires.

Moral of the story.... the transmission should hold up just fine with any upgrades you might pop in (as it sounds like you're looking to go mild, not super wild -- obviously if you went with more you're potential to break stuff goes up). As for the pinion gear -- I think the problem you would have there is that you can really only go "up" with the stock motor mount... so if you wanted to go down, you might need the adjustable motor mount... but now you're starting to get into the transmission parts, etc etc). If you want just simple "I blew my motor, I want/need a replacement motor"... then yeah, 3000Kv, maybe 3200Kv, I would think should be just fine.

Others on the forum, who maybe more strictly run brushed, please feel free to chime in and offer more brushed experience.

One upgrade to go ahead and get when you order the motor ESC would be the HD17t input. Just get one for the rear, so when you break the stock plastic one, you will have it ready to go. Careful adjustment of the slipper may extend the life of the stock rear diff input.

Last edited:
One upgrade to go ahead and get when you order the motor ESC would be the HD17t input. Just get one for the rear, so when you break the stock plastic one, you will have it ready to go. Careful
Certainly a worthy $5 part.
I've heard most people break these when they use 3S power. I upgraded mine to the HD because I sometimes do, but my friend continues to use the stock plastic ones on 2S hasn't had any issues. (your mileage may vary ... obviously any of these parts are prone to breaking under any variety of conditions) :)

IMO, any of the brushed motors are likely to have issues on LiPo power. (My friend's son has a Typhon MEGA -- runs awesome on NiMH.... for fun we lent him some packs of 2S and the motor burnt out pretty quick).

My first rig was (still is) the Granite MEGA (550 brushed, 4x4). By user error I accidentally blew out my ESC and (insert long story here) went 3800Kv Brushless w/ Castle SW4 ESC. I stick mostly to using 2S batteries (and still have a blast) but on occasion I'll pop in a 3S. I continue to run the stock 91T plastic spur gear though I have upgraded to the 20T pinion... Point is, lots of power behind still stock transmission parts.

Typhon MEGA is (people feel free to chime in and correct me if I'm mistaken) very similar in parts and design to the other MEGA vehicles. That said, same motor mount, same 91T spur, same 14T pinion -- etc... point is, same transmission parts.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/vehicle-comparison/ARA102714T1/ARA102694

If anything the smaller tires on the Typhon would offer less resistance and wear on the parts than the Granite's MT tires.

Moral of the story.... the transmission should hold up just fine with any upgrades you might pop in (as it sounds like you're looking to go mild, not super wild -- obviously if you went with more you're potential to break stuff goes up). As for the pinion gear -- I think the problem you would have there is that you can really only go "up" with the stock motor mount... so if you wanted to go down, you might need the adjustable motor mount... but now you're starting to get into the transmission parts, etc etc). If you want just simple "I blew my motor, I want/need a replacement motor"... then yeah, 3000Kv, maybe 3200Kv, I would think should be just fine.

Others on the forum, who maybe more strictly run brushed, please feel free to chime in and offer more brushed experience.
Regarding using a nimpac vs a 2S lipo with a brushed motor.... both packs provide the same volts. The ESC will only draw in amps what the motor wants. The brushed motor will not be impacted any differently. The lipo will just offer longer run times. A brushed motor can even handle 3S. Very common. If you had a borderline failing brushed motor with worn brushes or worn out bushings, that may have been the cause of your brushed motor failure. And those motors are well known to fail sooner than later. The motor doesn't know what kind of batteries it is getting power from. Lipo or nimpack volts are volts.
Regarding using a nimpac vs a 2S lipo with a brushed motor.... both packs provide the same volts. The ESC will only draw in amps what the motor wants. The brushed motor will not be impacted any differently. The lipo will just offer longer run times. A brushed motor can even handle 3S. Very common. If you had a borderline failing brushed motor with worn brushes or worn out bushings, that may have been the cause of your brushed motor failure. And those motors are well known to fail sooner than later. The motor doesn't know what kind of batteries it is getting power from. Lipo or nimpack volts are volts.

Stock battery in the MEGA RTR is a 2400mAh 8.4V 7C NiMH Battery Pack .... 8.4V vs a 7.4V LiPo... and yet the LiPo made the Granite MEGA 550 run significantly faster and a lot more powerful.
The LiPo battery offers a significant 'punch' more than NiMH... power goes to the motor via the ESC a lot faster and harder than NiMH. The ESC asks for it and the LiPo is just more capable of delivering the power (hence, LiPo breaks stuff more than NiMH).

The advantage of lipo packs over nimh is there is no power slide from fully charge to completly drained a brushless rc will still run like if the pack was fully charged until lvc is hit in the other hand nimh when it starts to drain your rc will start going into slow mode after a little while and lose a lot of speed vs charged.

I run brushed on 2S and 3Ss all day long. Many do.Brushed motors in general don't last as long as blx. Lipo versus Nims has no real bearing to its demise. Failing to maintain a brushed motor is usually the case or its just normal wear. Been using brushed for 30 years. Both closed endbelled and rebuildables. stock and mods. 8T+. Like stated above, lipos just have a flatter discharge rate. If the rig feels more stronger with a lipo. A different TH finger is in order. Brushed is fine with Lipo packs up to 3S.

Last edited:
The bushing in the shaft end of my ARRMA Mega motor wore out in the first hour of use. ARRMA’s replacing it under warranty, but they’re on backorder until August, so I’m looking into alternative replacements.

I’m looking at the Traxxas Titan 550 12T or a mild brushless setup like this Onyx kit:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-10-4p-3000kv-esc-motor-combo-p-onxs0500

Will I have issues with the Onyx kit overheating in a Typhon Mega running 2S? I don’t want to do the transmission upgrades that would be required to drop in a more powerful brushless setup. Just looking for something more reliable that performs at least as well as the stock mega motor.

I've also looked at the cheap brushless setups like GoolRC or ebay rebrands but it sounds like a crap shoot as to whether the ESC goes up in flames or not and I don't want to just throw my money away.

The Onyx 70a 3000kv will be fine running on 2s and even 3s even with a 17t 48p pinion. The 3000kv with stock 14t stock brushed pinion on 2s should give you close to stock brushed speed. I would go ahead and move up to a 17t pinion if you want to keep using the stock Mega fixed hole mount but I would suggest also going ahead and getting an adjustable motor mount.

The cheap escs (like Goolrc) when you get a good one and don't get them wet can work pretty well but as you mentioned it's a crapshoot if you get a good one or not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back