Kraton Stock motor upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, will do! It's really squirrley as is.

By the way, the connectors are giving me issues with current not being consistent. It cuts out and is slow to respond once it gets warmed up. This could be due to just bending one if them from a hard jump. Not sure. But I can literally feel the power running through the motor wires. Never felt them before, so not sure if this is normal.
I've never ran connector adapters before so I'm not sure. They should all fit snugly together and stay that way. I'd consider using electrical tape to keep them securely joined and use a temp gun to check temps not just on the motor and ESC, but on the wires and connections also perhaps. Resistance leads to heat gains. You might be clued into a potential issue if you notice one wire getting hotter with use.

I've never ran connector adapters before so I'm not sure. They should all fit snugly together and stay that way. I'd consider using electrical tape to keep them securely joined and use a temp gun to check temps not just on the motor and ESC, but on the wires and connections also perhaps. Resistance leads to heat gains. You might be clued into a potential issue if you notice one wire getting hotter with use.

@Rich Duperbash Well, I just ran 17T on 6S with Shockwaves, and it's nuts! I had to adjust the punch setting all the way to 1, and it STILL pulls the front end off the ground at any speed, any surface. The Nero motor is an absolute beast.

What do you think the top speed is for this setup?

How are those connectors holding up? Still having cut out issues?

How are those connectors holding up? Still having cut out issues?

Hey @HunterT, so what I did was I took a tiny flathead screwdriver and expanded the motor male ends a bit so they fit really snug. All is well. The wires are longer than I'd like them to be, but that's ok.

@Rich Duperbash Well, I just ran 17T on 6S with Shockwaves, and it's nuts! I had to adjust the punch setting all the way to 1, and it STILL pulls the front end off the ground at any speed, any surface. The Nero motor is an absolute beast.

What do you think the top speed is for this setup?
It's roughly 63-65mph. I hit 61 with 16 tooth, but can't recall which tires I was running.

Hey Rich I saw that you were running the hobby star 1730kv now , how do you compare the hobbystar vs. Nero motor? Curious to see bc I haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet..

Hey Rich I saw that you were running the hobby star 1730kv now , how do you compare the hobbystar vs. Nero motor? Curious to see bc I haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet..
@Rich Duperbash

They are both great upgrades IMHO. It's hard to compare overall cuz I hadn't used the 1730kv much before just having my Mamba Monster X crap out on me after a hard landing like 2 days ago. Got a replacement today, so should be up again soon. The full Nero BLX200 combo is very strong. I screwed mine up like an idiot by submerging it...Lol.:eek::eek:o_O It's lighter and has considerable torque no doubt. I'll get back to you about a comparison soon. The Hobbystar 1730 has more torque, but you can only use it if you can get the power to the ground. That's not easy in dry dirt conditions.

Hey @Rich Duperbash I can't keep the front wheels on the ground even with the punch setting on (1). On 4S, it's awesome and easy to control (with same gearing). I'm thinking of going up to 22T and just running 4S. By the way, I don't have a wheelie bar.

It's just too stupid with 6S on 17T, at least on pavement, dry or wet. I raced a 6S Erevo today and couldn't stay on the road for the life of me, but was equal in top speed running 4S.

Trying to think how I can actually get the torque to the ground...

Hey @Rich Duperbash I can't keep the front wheels on the ground even with the punch setting on (1). On 4S, it's awesome and easy to control (with same gearing). I'm thinking of going up to 22T and just running 4S. By the way, I don't have a wheelie bar.

It's just too stupid with 6S on 17T, at least on pavement, dry or wet. I raced a 6S Erevo today and couldn't stay on the road for the life of me, but was equal in top speed running 4S.

Trying to think how I can actually get the torque to the ground...
I can't recall if you mentioned what your diff set up is? I'm running 50/200/20k front to rear in my Kraton. If you go too heavy in the center, it likely transfers too much power to the rear wheels and will contribute to wheelies. Conversely, too light and you bleed power to the fronts with more ballooning. You could play with suspension setups, ride height, and preload. The lower the ride, the less you will wheelie up. If you get the rear to squat more on throttle, you should get more power down and not wheelie. Not sure how you're applying the throttle, but try easing into it. This is key to modulating propulsion and maximizing motor efficiency to your tires and running surface. Use your ears at least as much as your eyes. Your trigger finger should fall into sync with the RPM/motor and tire sounds.

I can't recall if you mentioned what your diff set up is? I'm running 50/200/20k front to rear in my Kraton. If you go too heavy in the center, it likely transfers too much power to the rear wheels and will contribute to wheelies. Conversely, too light and you bleed power to the fronts with more ballooning. You could play with suspension setups, ride height, and preload. The lower the ride, the less you will wheelie up. If you get the rear to squat more on throttle, you should get more power down and not wheelie. Not sure how you're applying the throttle, but try easing into it. This is key to modulating propulsion and maximizing motor efficiency to your tires and running surface. Use your ears at least as much as your eyes. Your trigger finger should fall into sync with the RPM/motor and tire sounds.

That's pretty sound advice.
Haha get it? Sound.

I usually get my speed fix with a few 60 mph runs then go hit this dry sand dogleg.

Come in about 45 or 50 on the throttle, touch the brake and flick then countersteer and back on the power.

35 mph doriftu kingu complete with such wow rooster tails

Would make a rally driver blush lol.

10k/30k/10k
15t+stock spur
Swaybars tight
New Backflips
Suspension all on lowest settings

I don't understand why everyone uses 200k+ in the center diff.

I went to 30k and the oversteer it produced was just about perfect.

You may as well just use a spool and lock it, 30k is pretty hard to turn I can't imagine 200k

That's pretty sound advice.
Haha get it? Sound.

I usually get my speed fix with a few 60 mph runs then go hit this dry sand dogleg.

Come in about 45 or 50 on the throttle, touch the brake and flick then countersteer and back on the power.

35 mph doriftu kingu complete with such wow rooster tails

Would make a rally driver blush lol.

10k/30k/10k
15t+stock spur
Swaybars tight
New Backflips
Suspension all on lowest settings

I don't understand why everyone uses 200k+ in the center diff.

I went to 30k and the oversteer it produced was just about perfect.

You may as well just use a spool and lock it, 30k is pretty hard to turn I can't imagine 200k
This isn't a race rig. To each his own. I love my setup and how it handles. I've ran lighter setups before. 200k is no where near locked and nothing like a spool. Have you tried going heavier??? If not please don't pass presumed judgement.

This isn't a race rig. To each his own. I love my setup and how it handles. I've ran lighter setups before. 200k is no where near locked and nothing like a spool. Have you tried going heavier??? If not please don't pass presumed judgement.

Simply said I don't understand why,
don't take my ignorance personally...in no way shape form or fashion did I mean to offend or question your methods.

Jeez

Simply said I don't understand why,
don't take my ignorance personally...in no way shape form or fashion did I mean to offend or question your methods.

Jeez
Sorry my reply was so blunt. My apologies. Think I miss interpreted your comment. I found awhile back that I could greatly control front wheel ballooning by running thicker center diff oils. Without it, the moment weight shifts backwards on throttle, the center diff wants to transfer more power to the fronts or "bleed power". To me it's like loosing power. The car will steer nicely like having front wheel drive, but only if ballooning and front wheelspin isn't too bad with the lighter fluid. Too heavy in the center and you will wheelie a bit too much perhaps. These fluids get super heated during use and I personally feel my gears are safer and last longer with heavier weights based on my own experience anyhow. I've had serious doubts myself when experimenting with different weights, but can honestly only get full power to the ground and manage ballooning with something close to my current setup.

Sorry my reply was so blunt. My apologies. Think I miss interpreted your comment. I found awhile back that I could greatly control front wheel ballooning by running thicker center diff oils. Without it, the moment weight shifts backwards on throttle, the center diff wants to transfer more power to the fronts or "bleed power". To me it's like loosing power. The car will steer nicely like having front wheel drive, but only if ballooning and front wheelspin isn't too bad with the lighter fluid. Too heavy in the center and you will wheelie a bit too much perhaps. These fluids get super heated during use and I personally feel my gears are safer and last longer with heavier weights based on my own experience anyhow. I've had serious doubts myself when experimenting with different weights, but can honestly only get full power to the ground and manage ballooning with something close to my current setup.

I'm really considering going to metal diff cups, changing the o-rings to something with a much higher durometer (stiffness) and using a petroleum based lubricant that is very thick and has plenty of zinc phosphate, perhaps like a sticky thick engine assembly grease.

After rebuilding a couple diffs and seeing the wear, I'm not sure silicone is up to the task.

Also curious to fully pack the diff cases with grease then seal them to the chassis with RTV to promote reliability with the ring and pinion gears.

Might be a little overkill for parts that are pretty cheap to replace, but it makes me itch knowing there are inadequately lubricated rotating assemblies in my kraton lol.

Making things complicated is what we engineers do best lmao

@Rich Duperbash

I've got 100/500/10k setup. I thought that running this thick in the mid would really allow the needed power equalization to the front and rear diffs. Do I need to thicken up the rear fluid? Rear fluid is stock, which I think is only 10k if not mistaken. Would it also be a good idea to thin out the mid fluid to 100 or 200k?

As far as suspension, I've done nothing other than replace stick springs with the recommended orange Tenkos.

In regards to throttle control, it doesn't matter, this beast cannot be controlled on pavement! :p

Last edited:
Ive seen a few people running the stock motor with the optional pinion without problems on rough ground. Is this the case?

Ive seen a few people running the stock motor with the optional pinion without problems on rough ground. Is this the case?

I'm running stock blx185 with as much as a 16t....i have a 15t mounted up now.

I run it on short mowed grass, gravel and loose sand....and I'm on wide open throttle about 95% of the time.

Gets a little warm but no temp shutdowns on 6s...and I'm running 2x onyx 5400mah 50C 3s. So a total of 10800mah over a 13 or so minute run time (I guess I've never timed it)

@Rich Duperbash

I've got 100/500/10 setup. I thought that running this thick in the mid would really allow the needed power equalization to the front and rear diffs. Do I need to thicken up the rear fluid? Rear fluid is stock, which I think is only 10k if not mistaken. Would it also be a good idea to thin out the mid fluid to 100 or 200k?

As far as suspension, I've done nothing other than replace stick springs with the recommended orange Tenkos.

In regards to throttle control, it doesn't matter, this beast cannot be controlled on pavement! :p
The diff fluids are all personal preference in the end. The rear is probably the least important of the three in terms of tuning. Remember the front and rear only control left to right wheel diff action not front to back power transfer. Make sure you're truck sits about arm level with the pack in it. It should return to arm level after you drop your rig from 1-2 feet. I'd say experiment with some different setups until your rig feels dialed to your liking. I'm still running 50 weight front with orange Teknos, 40 weight rear with yellow. Waiting for V3 Kraton shocks to arrive shortly. If your front is lifting like mad, consider going 100-200k center diff and dial your punch to around 4-6 if it's say 8-10 now. Having some toe out up front will also help control stability at speed. Lastly, make sure your steering rack, pillow balls, and links are all healthy and same for your tires. Out of control can come from or be exasperated by several factors besides a heavy finger...Lol!!!

I never run smaller than 16 tooth Robinson Racing Extra Hard in any of my Arrmas. Running 18 tooth 6s in my Outcast Hybrid, but it's lighter and running Proline Shockwaves. Just get a temp gun to be safe and check during/after temps. Keep Motor in the happy zone 140-150F range. A wee higher, no problem. 170F plus, getting too toasty.

I never run smaller than 16 tooth Robinson Racing Extra Hard in any of my Arrmas. Running 18 tooth 6s in my Outcast Hybrid, but it's lighter and running Proline Shockwaves. Just get a temp gun to be safe and check during/after temps. Keep Motor in the happy zone 140-150F range. A wee higher, no problem. 170F plus, getting too toasty.

Thank you for the insight! I will probably buy a temp gun then switch over the pinion. How do you feel about the new Outcast stock shocks. Are they a lot better than the first ones shocks?

Thank you for the insight! I will probably buy a temp gun then switch over the pinion. How do you feel about the new Outcast stock shocks. Are they a lot better than the first ones shocks?
You're welcome brother. I'm still waiting for my updated shocks in the mail. I can tell you right now they are better...Lol. 4mm shafts are surprisingly stronger than 3.5s. The new longer springs are improved also from credible sources anyways. Not sure if the pistons, other internals or rod ends are radically improved, but the shafts are a huge upgrade alone. I'm definitely big air testing them the day they arrive if possible. The 5mm GPM shocks I bought I simply can't get the dampening I'm after. Need to find different pistons and maybe try with softer springs. They feel like Frigging pogo sticks:eek::eek::mad:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back