Stock slt3 reception problems?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny b

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
  2. Typhon 3s
New to electrics..so what I initially thought was cogging, I'm thinking now just poor radio reception? Ran about 5 packs through my new Senton. It will sometimes stop at the farthest end of the field where I run......never anywhere else. It appears that I also lose steering when the motor quits, as far as my old eyes can tell. I'm even running a 15 tooth pinion ( stock is 20) As I walk towards the truck, it will work again, usually within 10 to 15 steps. Having said that, I can run it in my extremely small back yard at low speeds and throttle blips and she never misses a beat. Tried fresh batteries in tx. and running a smc 5200 135c Lipo. Any thoughts?

New to electrics..so what I initially thought was cogging, I'm thinking now just poor radio reception? Ran about 5 packs through my new Senton. It will sometimes stop at the farthest end of the field where I run......never anywhere else. It appears that I also lose steering when the motor quits, as far as my old eyes can tell. I'm even running a 15 tooth pinion ( stock is 20) As I walk towards the truck, it will work again, usually within 10 to 15 steps. Having said that, I can run it in my extremely small back yard at low speeds and throttle blips and she never misses a beat. Tried fresh batteries in tx. and running a smc 5200 135c Lipo. Any thoughts?

Definitely give your RX antenna a look see.. If it's cut/mangled/twisted up some how, it will have issues.

How far you figure it makes it? The slt3/receiver are good for 300-400 feet or so from my experience. I have had 2 out of 9 that had much shorter range. Once I swapped out the receiver all was good.

One of the bad ones I’d accidentally clipped the antenna a couple inches. The other just came that way from the factory. After checking connections, put new batteries in the remote and test run. If it still has issues you can try to warranty it out. If no luck with warranty, I may should an extra receiver I could send you, so direct message me if all else fails.

If you’re thinking to upgrade your tx/rx, Dumbo is a very good remote on a budget ($45). I have 2 connected to 6 cars (3 each) but have to redo trim setting when switching cars. The radiolink rc4gs is twenty or so bucks more but better ($65). Can hook up 10 cars and saves the trim settings etc. They are made in the same factory even.

As others have said, the problem is probably a damaged receiver antenna wire.

Another thing to try is fresh batteries in the transmitter.

Thanks to all for your input. I'll check out the antenna and wiring for kinks and such. Velodromed, I'm guessing the distance is about 150 ft. Only. Also thanks for the offer of a receiver and tx suggestions. I kept this radio and rx from my losi gas days. Switched my losi to a futaba 3pm as this spectrum one would glitch with a gas motor which was somewhat common on gas engines with spectrums. Is this radio any good to use or not worth it? I believe it's discontinued.

IMG_20221222_170028106.jpg

Probably consider an update on the remote.. $25 for SLT3 on JennysRC

Probably consider an update on the remote.. $25 for SLT3 on JennysRC
What about just using the receiver shown? Would that be compatable with current stock radio?
Update....when removing the small rubber cap from the top of the antenna tube, the antenna is no where to be found when shining a light down in there. Pretty sure I just found my problem. 😳 🤞 Ill let you know after tearing it down.

Last edited:
Realistically, you can expect about 500-600ft of range with the stock SLT3 radio most Arrma's ship with.

Realistically, you can expect about 500-600ft of range with the stock SLT3 radio most Arrma's ship with.
Which is much further than my eyes can see. Thanks. Got it all sorted, most of the antenna was coiled up in the receiver box with about an inch in the antenna tube at best. Just returned from a run and no issues. Thanks for all the replies. Another thing to check before pre run. Rtr's are full of surprises :rolleyes:

Usually once you get the antenna situated it'll stay there. In the defence of the RTR industry, nothing is perfect every single time.

That DX3S might just be ok for you. Try it out. You have it there in hand anyway. Probably way better than any SLT3.
Don't expect miracles with that SLT3. It's a very cheap radio. But first, definitely check the Rx Antenna for proper placement. Often overlooked.
If buying one, just get an inexpensive Radiolink RC4GS.
And don't look back. :cool: No more range issues.

That DX3S might just be ok for you. Try it out. You have it there in hand anyway. Probably way better than any SLT3.
Don't expect miracles with that SLT3. It's a very cheap radio. But first, definitely check the Rx Antenna for proper placement. Often overlooked.
If buying one, just get an inexpensive Radiolink RC4GS.
And don't look back. :cool: No more range issues.
For what I use this rig for, I'm satisfied. I've spent ALOT of coin on rcs in the past. I'm not letting myself go down that road again. Keeping it simple. If the tx goes south, ill go ahead and try the dx3s

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back