Storage mode wait!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Boy

Reaction score
I ran through a couple of 5200 mah 2s 80c lipo's today until they hit lvc. I thought I'd put them on storage charge and its still going at over 2 hrs on the first battery! The charger is an Overlander mini 60w and discharges at 2 amp, does this sound right?

Is the charger showing that it is Discharging to storage volts (3.8/cell)?
Or is it Charging to storage volts (3.8v/cell)
Discharging will take forever. But I find it strange that you said both lios were run till LVC, so technically the charger should be Charging to 3.8v and Not Discharging to 3.8v. LVC normally cuts off below 3.8v/cell. The lipo should be charging, not discharging. 🤷‍♂️
Also your charger seems to be underpowered for your 5200Mah lipo pack. It will charge very slow to begin with anyway.
What are all the cell volts (each)???
Stop and restart the Storage cycle. Worth a try.
See how close you are to being done.
I don't know that charger at all. If it has no screen. Get a cell checker to measure cell volts. A must have tool. Especially good for when out bashing.
:cool:

Is the charger showing that it is Discharging to storage volts (3.8/cell)?
Or is it Charging to storage volts (3.8v/cell)
Discharging will take forever. But I find it strange that you said both lios were run till LVC, so technically the charger should be Charging to 3.8v and Not Discharging to 3.8v. LVC normally cuts off below 3.8v/cell. The lipo should be charging, not discharging. 🤷‍♂️
Also your charger seems to be underpowered for your 5200Mah lipo pack. It will charge very slow to begin with anyway.
What are all the cell volts (each)???
Stop and restart the Storage cycle. Worth a try.
See how close you are to being done.
I don't know that charger at all. If it has no screen. Get a cell checker to measure cell volts. A must have tool. Especially good for when out bashing.
:cool:
Its charging from back up to 3.8v. When I balanced charged them this morning it took about 40 ish minutes to charge which I didn't think was too bad. Instead of storage charging them could I just not balance charge them back up and when they hit 3.8 v per cell just turn it off?

^^^^
Technically you can do that. 3.8-3.85/cell is fine. Watching it carefully.
BUT, you will NOT charge any faster.
Have you set the Storage charge to 5.2 amps???? Important!
5.2 amps should be the charger setting and would be correct for your 5200mah pack. (1C charge rate)
Whether doing a Full Balance charge or a Storage charge it should be at 5.2amps. Double check this. This may be be one reason you are charging slower in Storage mode.
What is your Storage charge amps???? Just make sure its 5.2amps.

^^^^
Technically you can do that. 3.8-3.85/cell is fine. Watching it carefully.
BUT, you will NOT charge any faster.
Have you set the Storage charge to 5.2 amps???? Important!
5.2 amps should be the charger setting and would be correct for your 5200mah pack. (1C charge rate)
Whether doing a Full Balance charge or a Storage charge it should be at 5.2amps. Double check this. This may be be one reason you are charging slower in Storage mode.
What is your Storage charge amps???? Just make sure its 5.2amps.
The max it allows in storage is 2 amps. Maybe i need a better charger!

Are you absolutely sure??:( Check your settings again. Maybe check the manual. Is this a 2 line LCD display charger?
Never seen a charger like that.
Storage charging is identical to Balance charging with the only difference being that Storage mode it will stop at 3.8v/cell.
All other charging parameters are the same. Balance charging just goes all the way up to 4.2v/cell and stops. The only difference.
You may need a better charger. Is this a a new one for you? Are you fairly familiar with it enough.

EDIT:
I just checked out this charger. Specs and all.
It is good for up to 10amp charge rates. 2-4s lipos. It normally takes 40min to one hour to charge the lipo from 3.8v to 4.2v (full) When charging at 5.2 amps. (a 1C rate for a 5200mah lipo)
You are not setting up your Storage mode parameter to 5.2 amps. What it appears to me?🤷‍♂️ :unsure:

Last edited:
Some chargers are like that, they restrict the storage charge rate. I have one that will normal charge at up to 7A but limits storage mode charging to 1A.

My very first charger was a SkyRC B6 AC, That was a real cheapo 2 line display and allows storage mode amp setting. $32. It only charges up to 6amps FWIW. Yet Storage amps is adjustable up to 6amps as is Balance charge mode.🤷‍♂️
Is that Charger F/W updatable? FWIW. I find that odd. That charger seems marketed to Drone and Plane flyers. Using Lower Mah lipos. Maybe that's why???IDK. :unsure:

Definitely need to upgrade the charger If I was you. That would drive me crazy.
Your large capacity lipos deserve better.:LOL:

I have 2 HobbyMate D6 Duo Pros and a 24v/400watt PSU. My old charger I just use to charge my small Radio lipos now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back