Storing lipo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonewall

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever feel their ammo box with sand and stuff the lipo down in the sand for storage or changing?

No but I do line the inside of mine with tile to help absorb heat if anything where to burst during charging. I store mine on a metal rolling rack on my cement garage floor so again if one were to go up nothing would catch fire besides the lipo and lipos around it as you'll see I have A LOT lol.
20230203_073745.jpg

Seems like a little messy and possibly overkill. Since lipo storage is all about piece of mind, you could get a batt-safe if you're really concerned. Otherwise, storing the vented ammo box on a non-flammable surface, especially during charging, is about the cheapest way to provide some insurance if something goes wrong.

I have a small military grade metal battery box that fits 2 batteries. Otherwise I store my lipos in lipo bags and few days ago I bought a second hand metal cabinet. I should be ok

Can post pics, if you like

I have ammo cans with lipo bag inside + tiles lining the bottom and sides and sand on top of the tiles and the lipos sit on top of that. I never close my cans though because well, I can't :ROFLMAO:

I like the tile idea, or at least something heat-resistant. How do you cut it to size?
I don't as the ammo can stays open while charging and I had scrap pieces that fit the bottom and shorter front and back. I figure as long as the tile on the sides is there it will absorb a lot of the heat and I also lay the can on tile so underneath is protected by tile inside and below can outside.

Done the sand thing, but just too messy. Tile or cement board and you won't have problems.
Placing sand in plastic bags etc gives just more fuel to any fire.
Having sand above Lipos is useless. All this you can find on youtube if you need a visual.

99% (or so) of all accidents occur during charging anyway, hence all this is a bit overkill and useless.

+1 for the Ammo cans. If you have a Walmart in the area check there for them. Was able to snag a couple of them in the last couple of weeks for about $13 a piece. Remove the rubber seal on the lid and you should be good to go.

+1 for the Ammo cans. If you have a Walmart in the area check there for them. Was able to snag a couple of them in the last couple of weeks for about $13 a piece. Remove the rubber seal on the lid and you should be good to go.
I got ripped off messing with Amazon 🤣

Yes, stupid idea. Would have equal damage with no sand on top. Fire safe container is all you need, with non-flammable surroundings.

I don't do it but i think you put the sand on top of it to smother the fire.
that's not a half bad idea..... :unsure:

No mess unless something goes sideways. In which case, it wouldn't matter if there's a little bit of sand all over the floor. Probably wouldn't do it myself, but if you don't have access to a fire safe container or ammo cans, you've got to improvise i suppose.

Ammo cans with custom vented lids are always in storage charge. bat safe for charging

This video makes me anxious because of the amount of smoke. But I'll buy the baking thing and use that.

Its extremely rare for batteries to catch fire during proper storage ( ~3.8v), right?

This video makes me anxious because of the amount of smoke. But I'll buy the baking thing and use that.

Its extremely rare for batteries to catch fire during proper storage ( ~3.8v), right?
I haven't blown up an LiPos but a freind did (on purpose) and I'm told the smoke is pretty stinky. But it's better than a house fire. I normally store them in the garage, but it's been too cold lately so they are inside with some of the plants.

It "shouldn't" happen, but we all think about it.

I'm looking for a garage sale BBQ that I can store them outside during the summer months and make a charging station. But garage sale BBQs are like $50 around here.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back