Strange issue with Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice info! Can you imagine a billit aluminum can support, that would fit snugly around the motor, and bolt to the aluminum chassis? It could use the chassis as a great big heat sink. Then imagine it bolted down to a JBI chassis, like I have. You'd almost never overheat the motor. Hummm, wish I had a milling machine! The idea struck me, when someone mentioned having to raise the motor mount to accommodate the larger motor. My first thought was why not just machine out a space in the chassis, then the motor would lay snugly on the chassis, and presto, a BIG heat sink!:eek:
I figure that my setup is doing something similar since the motor isn't breaking a sweat with the 20t pinion & the entire chassis is hot when I pick it up. I'm sure the fins are making contact with the jacket & the jacket is completely flat on the bottom.

Awesome. Like I said I just wanted to run the stock motor until I decide on what to run. I was going to run the new Hobbywing motor that @Mr.Duke is going to run but then he posted something g about needing to fabricate a plate or something. I'm not really skilled or equipped to fan my own parts (only minor stuff). So now I'm looking for something that will run about the same speed as the stock motor on the 15t pinion but with lower temps. Direct for is a bonus. Any suggestions?
It's a spacer that will raise everything up just enough to fit with the bigger diameter can but doesn't raise the motor up any further than absolutely necessary.

I won't know the exact thickness of the plate until I can mic everything once I have it in hand. The stock motor sits about 1.25mm off the floor of the chassis if you don't count the screw on the rear of the motor that likes to dimple the chassis after awhile.
I feel like the additional weight of the 4985 will require the bottom of the motor to just kiss the floor of the chassis to keep additional stress off the motor mount on hard landings.

Don't let the spacer plate deter you from getting what you want tho. If you need it to run that motor, I will make sure you get one of the 1st prototypes once they're complete.

The other option would be an aftermarket motor mount like what Fastlane sells for 50 to 56mm motors

Last edited:
It's a spacer that will raise everything up just enough enough to fit with the bigger diameter can but doesn't raise the motor up any further than absolutely necessary.
View attachment 31170
I won't know the exact thickness of the plate until I can mic everything once I have it in hand. The stock motor sits about 1.25mm off the floor of the chassis if you don't count the screw on the rear of the motor that likes to dimple the chassis after awhile.
I feel like the additional weight of the 4985 will require the bottom of the motor to just kiss the floor of the chassis to keep additional stress off the motor mount on hard landings.

Don't let the spacer plate deter you from getting what you want tho. If you need it to run that motor, I will make sure you get one of the 1st prototypes once they're complete.

The other option would be an aftermarket motor mount like what Fastlane sells for 50 to 56mm motors
View attachment 31171

Thanks, Duke! I can always move the Hobbystar I ordered to my Notorious ?

So if anyone saw my video from yesterday, you saw that my Kraton is intermittently losing throttle. It's really odd. So today I went to check it and the closest battery to me was a storage charged single 4s battery. I never run this battery in my Kraton. I only run dual 3s batteries. Anyway, I installed the loop and the 4s battery. I take it outside and it runs perfectly, albeit slower than I'm used to. No issues with throttle loss.

I brought the truck inside and put in the two storage charged 3s batteries I ran yesterday. I take the truck outside and run it. I immediately get the intermittent throttle loss. WTF?? So now I'm thinking it's the batteries. I grab another pair of storage charged 3s batteries and try them. Same issue. Still losing power every 5 seconds or so.

Now I stumped. So I go back to the 4s battery that I started with. Truck runs like a champ. I even swapped the loop from one ESC lead to the other and the truck still ran fine.

What in the word is the issue? One of the ESC battery leads is damaged but it has been for months.
View attachment 30835

Could this be the issue and if so why just on 6s? I have a spare BLX185 so I am going to try that and see what's what. Bit this really has me mystified ?
Hi, my Arrma kraton v4 6s has a similar issue, 2x 3s batteries installed, full throttle take off like a dream, then after a few seconds it's reduced to half if not a third of the power, but if I turn the car off and back on i get full throttle again, well at least until I floor it again. This has happened on two lots of batteries I have.

Hi, my Arrma kraton v4 6s has a similar issue, 2x 3s batteries installed, full throttle take off like a dream, then after a few seconds it's reduced to half if not a third of the power, but if I turn the car off and back on i get full throttle again, well at least until I floor it again. This has happened on two lots of batteries I have.
What kind of batteries? mAh, C rating?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back