Raider STRC aluminum parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBlazer

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
Hey guys, I recently purchased a few parts for my raider from STRC and found their shocks are very good and are not leaking at all
After significant bashing. They are holding together strong. They have great prices.

I am very curious as to how well the aluminum front hubs and rear Knuckles work out on the raider. Please post pictures and details here! Thanks :)

image.jpeg

I bought the STRC shock caps and ends for my ARRMA Fury plastic shocks and found them to be really high quality but am still getting a small amount of leakage around the shock caps. I am wondering if the STRC shock bodies will do the trick. Have you found the STRC shock bodies to provide smoother action than the plastic ones? Also, how tight do you tighten the caps?

Best regards,
Brian

I bought the STRC shock caps and ends for my ARRMA Fury plastic shocks and found them to be really high quality but am still getting a small amount of leakage around the shock caps. I am wondering if the STRC shock bodies will do the trick. Have you found the STRC shock bodies to provide smoother action than the plastic ones? Also, how tight do you tighten the caps?

Best regards,
Brian

If your going to upgrade your shock caps too metal than I believe metal bodies should be upgraded aswell. Having the metal shock cap will strengthen your plastic body somewhat, but will not provide solid threading against oil leakage. Also if your using old plastic bodies that have been pre-stripped due to "popping", they may be slightly damaged on the thread leaving them vulnerable to leaking. I would upgrade to metal Shock bodies, with the front metal brace. 5the metal bodies from STRC are threaded on the outside of the bodie allowing you to try out various levels of stiffness for your shocks, before applying spacers when your optimal setting is found. I have done some good bashing since I installed them and it's working great still. My steering alignment stays a lot straighter with the tower brace, those new shock bodies, and locking wheel hex.

I bought the STRC shock caps and used them on the stock shocks before using my Fury so everything was brand new. I think for general bashing the shocks work okay with the STRC shock caps and ends but I am still getting some leakage near the top of the cap. It's easy to tell by pulling down the top spring collar and see if the any shock oil is on the shock body. Of course, be sure to clean off any excess oil when filling them to rule that out.

Also, on the rear shocks, I had some binding of the shock pistons with the shock body. I checked the shock shafts to see if they were bent and they seemed fine. It was when I turned the shock piston and ran it up and down, you would sometimes get extra resistance. So I lightly sanded the outside of the shock piston and the shocks seem smoother. I think the inside of the plastic shock body may not always have a prefectly true cavity. I just ordered some STRC shock bodies for the rear and will see how they work. I race so I may be more particular than those who bash.

Did you hand tighten the shock caps or really tighten them down with a tool? I have found some shocks need a really tight cap to seal while others, if overtightened, will cause the seal to stretch and move out of place which results in a poor seal. Not sure yet what's best for the ARRMA shocks.

Best regards,
Brian

Last edited:
I bought the STRC shock caps and used them on the stock shocks before using my Fury so everything was brand new. I think for general bashing the shocks work okay with the STRC shock caps and ends but I am still getting some leakage near the top of the cap. It's easy to tell by pulling down the top spring collar and see if the any shock oil is on the shock body. Of course, be sure to clean off any excess oil when filling them to rule that out.

Also, on the rear shocks, I had some binding of the shock pistons with the shock body. I checked the shock shafts to see if they were bent and they seemed fine. It was if I turned the shock piston and ran it up and down, you would sometimes get extra resistance. So I lightly sanded the outside of the shock piston and the shocks seem smoother. I think the inside of the plastic shock body may not always have a prefectly true cavity. I just ordered some STRC shock bodies for the rear and will see how they work. I race so I may be more particular than those who bash.

Did you hand tighten the shock caps or really tighten them down with a tool? I have found some shocks need a really tight cap to seal while others, if overtightened, will cause the seal to stretch and move out of place which results in a poor seal. Not sure yet what's best for the ARRMA shocks.

Best regards,
Brian

I would have to say that the leaking is coming from the plastic body thread. It could be that there is too much oil in the shock when your filling it? I had a lot of problems with my Arrma plastic shocks so I gave up and went to all metal to save myself the hassle.

If you rear shocks are binding and your unable to identify why, I would pull them apart, clean them thoroughly, and inspect your seals as well as the shaft. I ended up super glueing my plastic ones together wrapped in electrical tape and more superglue to keep them from coming apart. Worked for awhile until you want to service them lol. Arrma plastic shocks are a lot of maintenance. If your warranty is still valaid then I would call/email Arrma and say your shock tops keeps popping and the threads are stripped and need new ones. Works for me everytime, they are really good for that.

But I hope with your new shock bodies from STRC work well with the metal caps. I might try replacing the shafts and seals with the new body if you have sanded/ modified/ damaged anything from your previous Arrma shock setup.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hey guys! I'm back with some updates on the recent STRC upgrades I put on my Raider.

The shocks are holding very strong with no leaking. It's very nice to have your whole shock system actually stay together when bashing around. Aside from the tops being ground off from flipping and dragging, they are in great shape. I have had no problems with them and very confident that they are going to last. They are worth the $50-$60 I paid. You can also choose a color I think there's 3-4 colours to choose from.

The front tower brace mixed with the front skid plate and metal shocks has saved me countless hours fixing and repairing the tower arms. I have not had a problem in the front end since that has been installed. You can also choose between 3-4 colours.

I would suggest these parts as they are designed for your Arrma vehicles as a "drop in" replacement for your current Arrma hardware and parts. I will be purchasing the aluminum steering hubs and rear knuckles eventually and will keep you posted. Thanks!

Hey guys ! I decided to order some more parts from STRC. This time I ordered front and rear aluminum hinge pin mounts becuase I have had issues where the pin has pulled through the front and rear in a crash. This should help from destroying parts.
IMG_6907.PNG

Also I have ordered some aluminum front steering blocks. Hopefully these will help with steering alignment and strengthening the steering system. It may keep slightly more weight in the front end which wouldn't be a bad thing.
IMG_6908.PNG

I will post pictures when I get them and have them installed and will let you know what I think.

Hey guys !! I got my new STRC racing parts in the mail today. Front and rear hinge pin mounts are going in. Also the front steering blocks. This should add some extra strength to the vehicle.

IMG_6931.JPG
IMG_6932.JPG

I have pulled my hingpin through the composite mount several times so hopefully this will save me parts.

The front steering blocks feel very rigid. I will need to find nut type king pin because it recommends that you install your kingpin upside down because it does not thread into the aluminum block.

IMG_6933.JPG

I can see the e clip flying away in no time with no thread. That is an issue but I was hoping to do this upgrade soon anyways.

IMG_6934.JPG

Everything installed without a hitch and is a drop-in replacement for Arrma parts. I am happy with the look too. More metal is good :)

IMG_6939.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6928.JPG
    IMG_6928.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 72
Hey guys !! I got my new STRC racing parts in the mail today. Front and rear hinge pin mounts are going in. Also the front steering blocks. This should add some extra strength to the vehicle.

View attachment 3348View attachment 3349 I have pulled my hingpin through the composite mount serveral times so hopefully this will save me parts.

The front steering blocks feel very rigid. I will need to find nut type king pin becuase it recommends that you install your kingpin upside down because it does not thread into the aluminum block. View attachment 3350 I can see the e clip flying away in no time with no thread. That is an issue but I was hoping to do this upgrade soon anyways. View attachment 3351 Everything installed without a hitch and is a drop-in replacement for Arrma parts. I am happy with the look too. More metal is good :)View attachment 3352

Lookin good!!! And @ajdragon is right..... go for the HD hinge pins. If nothing else, it eliminates those annoying little "e" clips!!

View attachment 3348View attachment 3349

I have pulled my hingpin through the composite mount several times so hopefully this will save me parts.

The front steering blocks feel very rigid. I will need to find nut type king pin because it recommends that you install your kingpin upside down because it does not thread into the aluminum block.

View attachment 3350

I can see the e clip flying away in no time with no thread. That is an issue but I was hoping to do this upgrade soon anyways.

View attachment 3351

Everything installed without a hitch and is a drop-in replacement for Arrma parts. I am happy with the look too. More metal is good :)

View attachment 3352
Your a life saver dude

Did you ever install the hd hinge pin set? If so, how did the rear a arms work out?

Jblazer ..what other kind of upgrades did you do? I'm trying to find more aluminum parts for my mega xl but having a hard time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back