Typhon Street/Speed build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, never mind. I just looked at the bag the last pair of springs were in and it said “F” in sharpie. Those were the ones I put on the rear, of course. 🙄 And now that I’m looking at the picture… 😂. I’ll pull the shocks and swap the springs next time. But I forgot to put in the longer grub screws anyway, so I can do that when the shocks are off again. It was a banner day. What I get for sneaking work time!
I found it REALLY difficult to put those springs on my Infraction(Redondo Beach?) Did you hafta put zip ties around em to get em on?

OK, never mind. I just looked at the bag the last pair of springs were in and it said “F” in sharpie. Those were the ones I put on the rear, of course. 🙄 And now that I’m looking at the picture… 😂. I’ll pull the shocks and swap the springs next time. But I forgot to put in the longer grub screws anyway, so I can do that when the shocks are off again. It was a banner day. What I get for sneaking work time!
Something tells me your going to have one little screw left after this build is done 👍😁🤣🤣🤣
I found it REALLY difficult to put those springs on my Infraction(Redondo Beach?) Did you hafta put zip ties around em to get em on?
I heat mine up with my mini propane torch and compress them a little and then fit them on.works all the time for me

I didn’t use zip ties, but yeah it’s difficult. Those things are stiff. Redondo Beach must be selling valve springs from a high revving 4-cam now. I think his first gen springs came out of a Corolla. Just kidding, but I laugh every time I pick them up because…valve springs. 😂

I got the springs set back up and the longer droop screws in. I need to fit the body and mount it so I can draw out the side plates and front splitter and get those cut out. I’m liking this body, I think I can get it as low as I want it. I’m thinking Rothmans livery ATM, but I’m indecisive and that could change at any second.
D0F4EF6D-BA37-453D-94A0-DD7F6358FBC7.jpeg

8D4A42A5-6F7C-44E7-8F78-3DBEA7F667D4.jpeg

AC8E6D7E-8778-40D9-AD74-7660021D7B7D.jpeg

Yo, I told everybody that I’m taking the day off tomorrow. If nobody has to call me with any emergencies I hope to have the body fitted and the side skirts and splitter traced out. Fingers crossed…

Humility.
I was way too smug going forward with this. When I said a couple days ago I took the day off to work on this build, I did. I didn’t post anything because the whole day was a sh*t show and I had to rethink a few things before I could move forward.
The whole front end bumper support and lower splitter took a totally different direction. I came back to it today and had a very productive session. I used the lower Mugen Seiki splitter mount (because it bolts right up securely to the lower bulkhead mounts) and the upper Lim bumper mount and brace with spacers for the body mount. I ended up trimming and shaping the Mugen lower to fit the Lim lower splitter mount. Drilled it and bolted it up. Used either a Lim or Infraction splitter (don’t remember) on it and it finally worked out well. Groovy. Now I can final fit the body after setting the ride height, final trim the front and the wheel arches, and move forward. I’ll trim the splitter to fit the way I want it and cut/fit the carbon side skirts. I had to slice the upper portion of those beautiful BQ rear CF towers to get the body low enough (Sorry Kimberly!) but it worked out well. The body is now fit enough to fine tune it, and I’m actually, finally, looking forward to that. It’s all going to be be pretty tight and well fitted to the chassis, I think.
I feel like crap, I have a sinus infection, but worked through it. Looking forward to the next round! Some pics:
Rear shock towers sliced.
7740DE4F-4A47-4BE7-B6BA-FAE77CC7210D.jpeg

Front Mugen lower trimmed to fit the Lim splitter mount.
B6F7E1B3-7D66-4BBD-8954-A70C91C2FCFA.jpeg

A0C2456E-A4F7-4434-97EA-92B2F8EACE66.jpeg

Could’ve been a little cleaner, but it ain’t too horrible. 😊. The majority of the lower splitter will be trimmed off once the front of the body is final trimmed, but it mates up with the body really well, height wise, and I’m happy with that.
77FFC034-4E85-448A-BE09-0AEEB21B898F.jpeg

Looks like it might actually be awesome. We’ll see. Took a lot more fab on the front than I imagined to get it where it needed to be. Patience, Grasshopper…
F6FAA3D5-B085-4CD3-9C23-88B41CD9F2FB.jpeg

Final trim the body and prep for paint, trim the front splitter, fit the side skirts, build the rear fins and spoiler, etc., break out the soldering station and fit all the electronics, yada yada yada. I wish I could devote more time to this, I’m pretty obsessed at this point. We’ll see how the week moves forward…

Really like your build Dan and it's great to see your back at it. 👍 May I add I hope you got some meds for your sinus infection as I am on them for the same reason.

Really like your build Dan and it's great to see your back at it. 👍 May I add I hope you got some meds for your sinus infection as I am on them for the same reason.
Thank you, sir. I’ve never had a sinus infection before, if it persists into tomorrow I’m going to go back to the doctor and get some antibiotics. I try hard not to take any meds at all unless absolutely necessary. My oldest daughter was trying hard to get me to go today. I’m stubborn like that, and now I’m kind of wondering why. I feel miserable.

I went back down after dinner and set the ride height and got picky final trimming the wheel arches and the front and rear of the body. I trimmed the front splitter and probably 80% of it is in the trash. I left a 15mm lip around the front of the body. I think the body is ready to be sanded and smoothed around the wheel arches and the front. I then stared at it from different angles, inverted and right-side-up, for probably half an hour as I tried to get my brain around what I’ll be doing with the side skirts. I’m hoping to somewhat emulate the Scorched full length design on the sides.
I’m slow at this, guys. I go down to my bench with high hopes and then second guess myself over and over while overthinking the heck out of everything. And still get get it wrong half the time, 😂. It’s a fun process though, even when I get frustrated and have to walk away for awhile. Looking forward to continuing!

Thank you, sir. I’ve never had a sinus infection before, if it persists into tomorrow I’m going to go back to the doctor and get some antibiotics. I try hard not to take any meds at all unless absolutely necessary. My oldest daughter was trying hard to get me to go today. I’m stubborn like that, and now I’m kind of wondering why. I feel miserable.
I get sinus infections a lot due to my all year round allergies and what helps me a lot is saline nose rinses with the Neti pot.it flushes away all the irritants and helps me breathe better..also try using Sudafed it drys your nose from mucus.and try Mucinex..works wonders.and drink hot tea with honey sooth your throat.👍😁
Hope you guys get better 😁👍so you can get back into this lovely hobby

Looks good dood …
Was wondering however????
Your first post stated your running
30k rear
50k front
I’ve always ran just the opposite…
50k rear
30k front
Am I doing it wrong ….?
Errr is dat a setup for you speed run junkies?
404EC964-FF64-4553-AB26-464209CB154E.jpeg

Oh
And as for sinus or respiratory anything…
Try some NAC
(Ron Burgandy and his dog Baxter are not financially compensated for promoting NAC)
C36EC8BB-86F2-4AD3-8995-2C9DC0311FD6.jpeg
Takes About 3 days and bu bye sinus infection/ congestion….

Last edited:
Honestly, for a straight line speed run car I don’t think it matters nearly as much. I like a little lighter in the rear because (for me at least) it’s easier to position it in turns. Since this one isn’t going to be a dedicated speed runner any longer I went with that setup as well as replacing the spool with a 46t Infraction center diff. I have 500k in that one, I think? Or was it 1mil? I’ll have to scroll back, I don’t remember. 😂

Looks good dood …
30k rear
50k front
50k rear
30k front
Am I doing it wrong ….?
View attachment 279485
Oh
And as for sinus or respiratory anything…
Try some NAC
(Ron Burgandy and his dog Baxter are not financially compensated for promoting NAC)
View attachment 279486Takes About 3 days and bu bye sinus infection/ congestion….
Your nose is a filter ..before anyone starts taking these☝️ do saline nasal rinses first.pretty much almost every kind of irritants are flushed out .post nasal drip is almost illuminated .do it every morning every night .and evening if you like .the key is to prevent infections.

Looks good dood …
30k rear
50k front
50k rear
30k front
Am I doing it wrong ….?
I know in the past a lot of hub bub has been made about using really thick diff fluids or even going so far as to run diff lockers front and rear. While I can see drag racing producing environments where the instant-on-full-power transfer of energy to pavement can benefit from locked wheels left and right, speed running, to my mind, is a far gentler application of power where you're really trying to stretch the pull from 0-100% throttle input out for 6-8 seconds and there really shouldn't be a need for diffs to regulate wide gaps in traction between the left and right side of your car (lighting up and spinning your tires beyond 60-70mph is asking for trouble imho).

This is just my own personal view and I'm sure there are others, but for speed running with a well educated trigger finger, I really don't think that diff fluid is a key component to performance. You're going in a straight line. Diffs are primarily there to mediate the different rotational velocities of your inside and outside wheels when going around turns. That's not to say that they don't provide a benefit for speed running. I think they make the car much nicer to drive, especially when turning the car around on 1-2 lane roads. I drove my VTE once with diff lockers and the car felt as wooden as Dutch clogs.

Furthermore, once you start going well over 100mph, chances are you're running a center spool and no longer a diff, as spools afford the possibility of running much smaller gears than any diff and by that token, open up far more aggressive gearing options. A center spool also locks the front and rear tires rotationally making diffing out nigh on impossible. You'd have to lose traction on three wheels, the chances of which are slim to none.

All that being said, if you're running a center diff I'd say anything from 50-500k or 1M is fine and the front and rear diffs should be fine with anything from 30-100k depending on what feels good to you. Again, this is just my personal take. In my VTE I'm running a center spool and first tried 10k rear, 30k front but found that to be a tad loose for my taste as far diff engagement goes. I bumped it up to 30k in the rear and the car is lovely. As always, YMMV. :)

Take it from me. I did all that stuff the guys are talking about for three weeks and it didn't get better. A sinus infection does not go away without meds. I waited to long for nothing but to suffer more. Now that I have been on antibiotics I am at least able to enjoy working on my rig while I wait for my guts and asp to get better. :) Sorry Dan. Won't say any more about this. Thanks for the things I'm learning from your build Sir.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back