Talion Street tire recommendations needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkflow

TB RC Bashers
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Talion
I blew through 1 set of stock tires after ~ 4 6S packs and tons of fun but that gets a little pricey.
Mainly the front tires since they were ballooning. Since I've changed diff oils to keep it the spin under control but looking for some reasonably priced tires for +60mph runs that will last a bit longer. If they are a different size any pinion recommendations?
Probably staying in the 60-70mph reason due to locations i.e. parking lot. Standard asphalt and smooth. I'll stay on stock for grass. Next is probably Backflip LP once those are gone.

Thanks!

60+ MPH requires $Belted$ tires. PL has em. They are heavy and not all that on dirt anyway. Even though they appear to have dirt treads. PL has them in street version tread also.
Also a few others.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TP4T41B?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
https://www.bigsquidrc.com/sweep-racing-1-8-road-crusher-belted-tire-review/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Sweep-...820506?hash=item5222f5505a:g:J40AAOSw7L1dasB6.

I'm not sure if you are talking Talion or Kraton.
I may pick up the Sweeps for my Kraton 6s. Their US distributor is 10 min drive nearby. I may go to look at them and scoop them up. As you can see belted tires cost $$. But they don't balloon. The PL Belted I looked at, but I don't feel the replaceable Hex design is strong. They are known to crack easy. PL offers an alloy version of the plastic hex adapters for $80./set of 4. That's ludicrous IMO. Ends up being around $200.+ for 4 tires.:mad:
Sweep (SRC) has been around for quite a while in RC and the tires look nice for speed running. (Street Treads)

https://www.amazon.com/RC-Monster-T...REJ8J96489M&psc=1&refRID=0NZRNQXHZREJ8J96489M

Last edited:
Not many options for an on-road truggy tires, there's the Louise T-Rocket, which I've heard bad things about.

Frankly I would just go for the 4s version of the Minokawa LP, the tread is not too aggressive and will last a while, and I don't think you'll find something cheaper. I don't think they'll be stable for 70MPH, but at 60 I think they'll be fine.

You have to explore the "belted" tires for speed running. Going cheap/not belted, then you might as well just use the standard tires. Which all balloon and deform at high rpms. Just stay with cheap for the street if money is a factor But Ballooning throws out your steering ability at high speed. Hard to control when you approach 45+mph.

Money is not really an issue but yet it is, $200 buys me a set for my real car! (not really)
This is for my Talion. I'll check out the road crushers next, seen them and they look nice. They typically have a set in the grab box at my lhs.

Last edited:
Yeah, for me the only LHS is an hour away, became a Traxxasss shop, after all those years selling all the brands. They only had a Traxxass Grab bin. :LOL: I am lucky to have Sweep SRC US distributor close by. Discovered that when I went their site and was looking for their email addr. Saw the local address was so close. I called them , and they said I can buy direct at the office. And I passed that shop 1000 times over the years and never knew it was there. Next to a Tattoo parlor that I been too with someone. I like to look at tires in person. Good luck. SRC has two types of wheels. I think the Honeycomb looking version wheel may be stronger? Some reviewers said the straight spoke looking SRC wheels break easy.:unsure: Belted are always heavier and more $$. But don't ballon. I feel ballooning is what makes tires blow out even with good setup diffs.
Belted being heavier can make your motor/esc temps run higher. Food for thought. Plan ahead.

Last edited:
I opted for yet another suggestion 1/5th wheel adapters and GTP 1/5 tires, comes with a free shirt! Hope this will pan out, other thread seems to have gotten good results.

I opted for yet another suggestion 1/5th wheel adapters and GTP 1/5 tires, comes with a free shirt! Hope this will pan out, other thread seems to have gotten good results.

That is what I did too (GRP 1/5 tires).
20200228_163912.jpg

Final conversion:

Verdict:
Upped to 20T pinion, still slower than Katar (stock) but no GPS run just yet. They work well for sliding, look and feel great and they are a lot quieter. Good grip on asphalt but can do power-slides on start if needed. Barely have 15 min on these but no observable wear.

and after:

What I've used:
Adapters:
EDIT: No longer recommended, the axle pins bend and there is no replacement. Vendor is unresponsive.
https://emperformanceproducts.com/product/emp-15-wheel-adapters-arrma-kraton-talion-v2-v3-v4/
probably have to bite the bullet and use these:
https://justbashitrc.com/shop/75-square-wheel-hub-adapter-to-grp/

Tires:
GRPGWX02-S5 New BLACK rim 1/5th scale TC tires. Soft compound

Changed bumper while I was at it, looks better imho. Adjusted pre-load but that needs to be dialed in more.

Last edited:
Depending how fast you plan to go,.. I have road crushers, and 1/5 grp tires...both crushers and grp,. Are to heavy and hard to Ballance for speed I run.. having good luck with arrma hoons !! ..easy to Ballance with hardly any weight....100+ mph talion..also running 13mm wheel extensions

What are you doing on your suspension? With the 1/5th I have to crank the preload all the way down or I scrape the ground when breaking. Runs fine at speed though. Haven't put a GPS on yet but not trying to breaking records. Mainly for road bashing etc.

Switched to 20T for now and it's fun ? and no visible wear on tires which was my goal.

Depending how fast you plan to go,.. I have road crushers, and 1/5 grp tires...both crushers and grp,. Are to heavy and hard to Ballance for speed I run.. having good luck with arrma hoons !! ..easy to Ballance with hardly any weight....100+ mph talion..also running 13mm wheel extensions
You said you have Road Crushers? Sweep Racing/SRC? Which ones? I have the Terrain Crushers (same "ROK Hard" honeycomb wheels). Same profile as the road crusher I thought they were a bit heavy and too large a diameter. But the low profile balanced out fine with very little weight after I broke them in first. The Hoons need some balancing also. But are probably the best choice along with the silver and gold variants.

src road crushers, and 1/5 grp, too heavy, hard to Ballance..got Nero blx springs, they are stiffer..if your close to 70mph.,. Trash that stupid looking rear wing !!!

Last edited:
What pinion and motor are you using?

I'm on hoons, 26t pinion, 46t spur, stock electronics. it's a fun parking lot / general pavement basher, but it's quite a handful. I do want for stickier tires, but not sure if I can swing how quick they'll wear. I'm on white-letter compound and a few packs in I can see very noticeable wear.

side note, with my current setup I think a front wing would do wonders at high speeds. it can get a little nose-up real quick. I think that might be diff tuning though, despite running 500k in my center ... I think a spool might do the trick.

. Castle motor, and esc ...run a spool, gears keep to myself for now..lol, start with a 29p/34s, for now, it will fly..front nose air dam if you can see it..scrap that stupid looking rear wing..cut rear windows out air and heat can escape..or.. possible blow over past 80..

Attachments

• IMG_20200316_114440.jpg
    IMG_20200316_114440.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back