Typhon Stretched Typhon speed run project PICS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lockup1109

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
Whats up guys, new to the forum and wanted to share my project and quest to best 150 mph.
Started with a typhon buggy and modified the he'll out of it.
As it sits I have a custom wound insanely high KV tp power 4070 cm 40x107mm motor running 6s.
Gearing is 1.27:1 ratio. Yes it is geared higher than the magic 1:1 speed run ratios. Wanted to share some pics, running an XLX with no current limit.
Belted grp velocity and sweep racing gt2 tires. Kraton chassis, custom made body mounts and esc mount and diff mount. Locked spool so I can run pinion gears as spur gears, 8mm castle connectors for motor, 6.5mm for batteries, 11000uf custom cap pack im soldering in tomorrow. Limited shock down travel. Outcast rear wing. Havnt ran it stretched yet or with this motor, but I hit 112mph with a MUCH less powerful and lower kv (2200) motor over the weekend.
Running 2x revolectrix 5000mah 70c tested 3 cell batteries. Best batteries I have ever ran with the lowest resistance I've measured.

Will post up pics of the final outcome and speed run this Sunday.

Last edited:
Whats up guys, new to the forum and wanted to share my project and quest to best 150 mph.
Started with a typhon buggy and modified the he'll out of it.
As it sits I have a custom wound insanely high KV to power 4070 cm 40x107mm motor running 6s.
Gearing is 1.27:1 ratio. Yes it is geared higher than the magic 1:1 speed run ratios. Wanted to share some pics, running an XLX with no current limit.
Belted grp velocity and sweep racing gt2 tires. Kraton chassis, custom made body mounts and esc mount and diff mount. Locked spool so I can run pinion gears as spur gears, 8mm castle connectors for motor, 6.5mm for batteries, 11000uf custom cap pack im soldering in tomorrow. Limited shock up travel. Outcast rear wing. Havnt ran it stretched yet or with this motor, but I hit 112mph with a MUCH less powerful and lower kv (2200) motor over the weekend.
Running 2x revolectrix 5000mah 70c tested 3 cell batteries. Best batteries I have ever ran with the lowest resistance I've measured.

Will post up pics of the final outcome and speed run this Sunday.

That looks awesome man, nice work. Recently had my Kraton down to bare chassis for Outcast build using my Typhon chassis, actually wondered if anyone had done this yet. I'd think it would be much more stable at high speeds. Nice work, hope you post your results. Dig the extended rear body posts, too.

Nice, you converted the kraton to be an outcast? What did you do with the kraton chassis?
Thanks man it was a lot of work and planning and parts ordering lol. The rear body posts were the only real hurdle other than making the spool and top plate.

Nice, you converted the kraton to be an outcast? What did you do with the kraton chassis?
Thanks man it was a lot of work and planning and parts ordering lol. The rear body posts were the only real hurdle other than making the spool and top plate.
My son and I both had Typhons among other RCs. Then I got an Outcast, followed by a Kraton cuz I really was on the fence and wanted both. My son fell in love with the Outcast and asked me to build him one. I sacrificed my Typhon and Kraton front and rear to do it. After about 2 weeks I began really missing my Kraton and rebuilt it using spare and new parts, stealing all the usable hardware etc off my Typhon. Still have one left thank goodness! Here's a pic of the Toutcast before fitting a proper truck body.
IMG_20170215_000039262.jpg

Thats pretty cool. So if I follow you right you now have a typhon, kraton and 2 outcasts? Lol. Well 1 outcast, 1 kraton, 1 typhon and 1 typhcast/outphon haha
How old is your son? Mines 6 and I built him a yeti to start, but I'm thinking he's ready for something slightly faster like a 4s outcast or kraton. Which do you like better of the 2?

Thats pretty cool. So if I follow you right you now have a typhon, kraton and 2 outcasts? Lol. Well 1 outcast, 1 kraton, 1 typhon and 1 typhcast/outphon haha
How old is your son? Mines 6 and I built him a yeti to start, but I'm thinking he's ready for something slightly faster like a 4s outcast or kraton. Which do you like better of the 2?
That's a tough one. I love all of them and each gets there fair share of run time. My sons 11, my daughter is 9. He likes the Outcast more and she's like Dad, will bash either one no problem. I'd probably recommend the Outcast for pure fun factor, wheelie's and flips easier, turns on a dime. Definitely comes with the better Backflips tires, too. This was the finished product for my boy. Just waiting for Backflip tires.
IMG_20170225_174607045.jpg

Thanks man, the truck looks great, I'm probably going to build up an outcast with eBay parts. Already have the chassis lol, can't let a good chassis go to waste haha

Thanks man, the truck looks great, I'm probably going to build up an outcast with eBay parts. Already have the chassis lol, can't let a good chassis go to waste haha
Thanks bro. It was a fun project for sure. I'm really digging your Stretched Typhon. Honestly think it has serious potential as a total speed monster/dragster. Look forward to hearing about how she does. PS, if you get or build an Outcast for your boy, don't be surprised if you find yourself wanting to bash it, very addictive platform...Lol.

Thanks bro. It was a fun project for sure. I'm really digging your Stretched Typhon. Honestly think it has serious potential as a total speed monster/dragster. Look forward to hearing about how she does. PS, if you get or build an Outcast for your boy, don't be surprised if you find yourself wanting to bash it, very addictive platform...Lol.

Ha I'm sure i will be borrowing it from him, I will update this post after Sunday's run.
The motor in my typhon is making 12.4 HP at 3200rpm per volt lol. That's more power than the go carts I had as a kid, he'll its more horsepower than my snowblower and lawnmower haha.
I think 150 is doable on 6s. Really hope I don't regret not installing a gyro lol.

Sick!!!
Hows the XLX? I cant find the XL2 and wasnt sure if castlecreations fixed the XLX yet. Thanks

Better than the xl2. Just have to update firmware to v1.82. Has built in Cap pack, less ripple, less fires. Also current limit can be set to 220, 280, 300 or off completely. For speed runs turn off low voltage cutoff and check voltage after each pass.

Not to give away any secrets as im sure your Typhon is going to be very hard to catch... where do you get custom wound motors that produce that much horsepower?
Thanks.
Edit... would that size motor fit on the stock Typhon chasis or it would need the Kraton chasis?

Last edited:
Not to give away any secrets as im sure your Typhon is going to be very hard to catch... where do you get custom wound motors that produce that much horsepower?
Thanks.
Edit... would that size motor fit on the stock Typhon chasis or it would need the Kraton chasis?

Call TP power usa and tell them what you want. 4070cm series are 12hp motors at max output. It will fit but I had to take a belt grinder to the rear A arm to fit it and only with certain pinions ie:29t or larger. Otherwise it hits the chassis brace and twists causing gear mesh binding.

Stock chassis with no rubbing a 4092 should just squeak by with no rubbing, BUT for speed runs there are no worthy 4092 size motors worth using. 40x100 yes 4274 yes and 4082. But 4092 not worth it.

Thank you order placed for tp-power and XLX is here tomorrow. So should i add a cap pack also or it isnt going to make a difference?
Where did you find the body posts? Or 3D printed?
Thanks again.

Which size and KV Tp motor did you order?
Cap pack is up to you, data log and see if its required or not.
I made the body posts

I emailed them a quote from your post... i want "an insanely high kv custom wound motor". And he recommended a TP4070-CM 2700KV. Is that sound about right?

I emailed them a quote from your post... i want "an insanely high kv custom wound motor". And he recommended a TP4070-CM 2700KV. Is that sound about right?
Ru planning 8s or 6s? Need to ask them the max voltage for the motor and go from there lol. I'm guessing that motor will be a 25-28v max

Oh oh, i said 6s. Let me send him an email to see if its too late to change to 8s. Lol
I wouldn't bother with 8s. Unless you're trying to break 160. No room underneath body for high enough MAH 8s batteries anyway.

I wouldn't bother with 8s. Unless you're trying to break 160. No room underneath body for high enough MAH 8s batteries anyway.
Im definitely trying to break that 160 mark. I love how your using a Kraton chasis and will eventually go that route.
Again i appreciate all your help.
Tppower just said its okay to change my motor... should i ask for something that can handle 12s, 16s? Lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back