Stripped diff case screw solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pnutbutterpie

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon TLR
  5. Vendetta
Hey y'all, I replaced the blown center diff in a used notorious 6s and the replacement had a poorly formed screw head that was rounded out from the factory. Thought I'd show y'all how I got it out in case it happens to you. A bench vice is pretty key to this process, but you could likely screw a board against it to clamp it to a work table if you don't have access to a bench vice.
PXL_20220812_171040538.jpg

So you can see here I have the diff clamped up between two chunks of aluminum, wood shims would do, but the aluminum holds it really tight without marring the gear teeth. I then carefully filed a groove into the center with a needle file. This groove doesn't have to be perfect, we're going to use a hammer and chisel to break this bad boy free.

PXL_20220812_172249828.jpg

(I already threw away the offending fastener, just pretend the silver sharpie line is my groove) Now, holding the cold chisel (or stout screwdriver) at about a 45° angle to the screw head, you want to tap towards one of the vice jaws so that the diff doesn't just try to twist it off the fixture. Re-orient your diff in the vice if necessary. A few firm but controlled taps like this should break it loose easily! I tapped it around in a couple of circles and then it was easily grabbed with pliers.

PXL_20220812_171338091.jpg

You can see here that the filed in groove is pretty sloppy and a flathead screw driver would never bite without camming right out of the head. I have tried EZ-out tools and they just don't work very well on tiny fasteners, but this method has never failed me. I hope this method helps someone out there!

Hey y'all, I replaced the blown center diff in a used notorious 6s and the replacement had a poorly formed screw head that was rounded out from the factory. Thought I'd show y'all how I got it out in case it happens to you. A bench vice is pretty key to this process, but you could likely screw a board against it to clamp it to a work table if you don't have access to a bench vice.
View attachment 235573
So you can see here I have the diff clamped up between two chunks of aluminum, wood shims would do, but the aluminum holds it really tight without marring the gear teeth. I then carefully filed a groove into the center with a needle file. This groove doesn't have to be perfect, we're going to use a hammer and chisel to break this bad boy free.

View attachment 235574

(I already threw away the offending fastener, just pretend the silver sharpie line is my groove) Now, holding the cold chisel (or stout screwdriver) at about a 45° angle to the screw head, you want to tap towards one of the vice jaws so that the diff doesn't just try to twist it off the fixture. Re-orient your diff in the vice if necessary. A few firm but controlled taps like this should break it loose easily! I tapped it around in a couple of circles and then it was easily grabbed with pliers.

View attachment 235575

You can see here that the filed in groove is pretty sloppy and a flathead screw driver would never bite without camming right out of the head. I have tried EZ-out tools and they just don't work very well on tiny fasteners, but this method has never failed me. I hope this method helps someone out there!
That's funny. I just had the same problem with my notorious center diff last weekend. I used a Dremel with a cut off wheel to put a slot in it then used a flat screwdriver. It came right out.

IMG_20220812_135742_1~2.jpg

That's funny. I just had the same problem with my notorious center diff last weekend. I used a Dremel with a cut off wheel to put a slot in it then used a flat screwdriver. It came right out.

View attachment 235582

Great solution, too! I should probably have a Dremel, all of my metalworking equipment is too beefy to cut a small delicate slot like that. I'm probably the only doofus with tools like a bench vice and welders, but no Dremel 🤣

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back