Talion Stripped Grub Screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moirae

Beauty & Beast
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
  5. Kraton 8S
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Kraton 4s
  8. Mojave EXB
  9. Notorious
  10. Outcast 8s
  11. Outcast EXB
  12. Talion EXB
  13. Typhon 3s
  14. Typhon 6s
  15. Typhon TLR
Can someone be a pal and link me to the type of drill bit I need to drill out a stripped scrub screw stuck in a pinion? :eek: :(

Can someone be a pal and link me to the type of drill bit I need to drill out a stripped scrub screw stuck in a pinion? :eek: :(
Try banging a torx in it ?

Once I beat the shaft through the pinion, probably not a great idea.

Try banging a torx in it ?

Once I beat the shaft through the pinion, probably not a great idea.
Tbh normally I pry the pinion off with some pliers or something but it ends with the motor plate being completely beat up. I actually started doing it already and beat up my pps motor plate lol. I got the pinion to move a bit but my wrist started hurting. It's rough out here! I don't even think a torx will work anymore as I tried to use an extractor kit which didn't work and now you can't even tell the grub screw is in there :eek: :eek: :( :cry:

Tbh normally I pry the pinion off with some pliers or something but it ends with the motor plate being completely beat up. I actually started doing it already and beat up my pps motor plate lol. I got the pinion to move a bit but my wrist started hurting. It's rough out here! I don't even think a torx will work anymore as I tried to use an extractor kit which didn't work and now you can't even tell the grub screw is in there :eek: :eek: :( :cry:
Probably not the recommended method, but I just pried one off myself today but it was a stocker motor plate & I didn't care as much about marring it up. I had to use a great big flat screwdriver & a whole bunch of cuss words😆🤷‍♂️

Any high speed steel (HSS) drill bit on low speed should do the job. You'll need a drill press though to keep it "on track". You can try it with a hand drill, but the outlook on success is slim and you'll risk damaging the threads. Highly recommend using some cutting oil as well to keep temps down and aid with the drilling. Second option: get yourself a pinion puller. This one costs just $8.60.
https://amz.run/5p0W
1659325971633.png

I stuck the pinion and motor in a vice and pounded it through.

All you really need to do is heat the grub screw/pinion up with a propane torch for a minute or two ,and it should release itself enough to unscrew..
Wear leather gloves for safety.

All you really need to do is heat the grub screw/pinion up with a propane torch for a minute or two ,and it should release itself enough to unscrew..
Wear leather gloves for safety.
No risk, no fun. :LOL:

And, here's a handy alternative DIY tool I'd made to help "Knock Out" stuck pinion gears..

Get one of those 12 gauge Strong-Tie bar stock and trim a small narrow grove out of one of the holes ,just enough to slip a shaft of a motor in that has the stuck pinion..

Pinion Puller DIY Tool_1.jpg

Then place the whole thing over the jaws of a vise (or a pair of 2x4s) and get a hole-punch and hammer to tap the motor shaft off the pinion gear.
Quick, Easy & Cheap.

Last edited:
Ive had good luck cutting a slot with my dremel cut off wheel and using a screwdriver to remove stripped grubs.

Any high speed steel (HSS) drill bit on low speed should do the job. You'll need a drill press though to keep it "on track". You can try it with a hand drill, but the outlook on success is slim and you'll risk damaging the threads. Highly recommend using some cutting oil as well to keep temps down and aid with the drilling. Second option: get yourself a pinion puller. This one costs just $8.60.
https://amz.run/5p0W
View attachment 233243
I'm going to try this, hopefully it's big enough. I'm trying to get off a 30T 8mm pinion and I'm definitely not handy enough to do what Tex said :eek: :ROFLMAO:

I'm going to try this, hopefully it's big enough. I'm trying to get off a 30T 8mm pinion and I'm definitely not handy enough to do what Tex said :eek: :ROFLMAO:
It should be big enough for the 30T pinion as a whole, but you may need to modify it slightly for the larger diameter of an 8mm shaft or the bigger shoulder of 8mm pinions depending on how big the cutout at the bottom is, but that should be a piece of cake.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back