Stripped Hex fix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoganH

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
Does anyone know a way to fix stripped wheel hexes, and how to prevent them? Ive read about a way where you use JB Weld epoxy and basically attach a wheel hex to the wheel. Wondering if there’s any other options. To do the JB Weld way the hex has to be completely stripped, so I may as well keep bashing... I’ve used my duratrax Six Packs 4 times and two hexes are stripping. I don’t think there’s a way to fix it if it’s half stripped so I’ll just strip it all the way....

Yes, first get yourself a nice screw extractor set then buy good quality tools. Something like the MIP Hex Driver set.
Reading the op he is talking about wheel hexes, not screws.

Does anyone know a way to fix stripped wheel hexes, and how to prevent them? Ive read about a way where you use JB Weld epoxy and basically attach a wheel hex to the wheel. Wondering if there’s any other options. To do the JB Weld way the hex has to be completely stripped, so I may as well keep bashing... I’ve used my duratrax Six Packs 4 times and two hexes are stripping. I don’t think there’s a way to fix it if it’s half stripped so I’ll just strip it all the way....
Make two slots in the wheelhex and put a longer pin in the axle, like this:

Last edited:
Not sure what vehicle you have but, The most likely culprit is that the wheel nuts have not been tight enough. It is possible that the wheels themselves just happen to be, for lack of a better word, Cheap. All I run is 6s and have wheels that have had multiple sets of tires on them and they are still fine. The JB weld deal is probably a punt at best.

Also, anyone know if my bearings have any effect on it? I haven’t changed them since I got them in January 2018, and I haven’t really cleaned them...

Not sure what vehicle you have but, The most likely culprit is that the wheel nuts have not been tight enough. It is possible that the wheels themselves just happen to be, for lack of a better word, Cheap. All I run is 6s and have wheels that have had multiple sets of tires on them and they are still fine. The JB weld deal is probably a punt at best.
I have an Arrma fury on 4s. Not many physical upgrades except electronics and tires.
Also, the wheels are far from cheap. They are the Dynamite Duratrax Six Pack ST beadlock tires. I paid $52 for a full set.

I have an Arrma fury on 4s. Not many physical upgrades except electronics and tires.

Also, the wheels are far from cheap. They are the Dynamite Duratrax Six Pack ST beadlock tires. I paid $52 for a full set.
$52 ain’t expensive either. Take a look at some of the SRC sets. $52 buys a pair at best.

Reading the op he is talking about wheel hexes, not screws.

Make two slots in the wheelhex and put a longer pin in the axle, like this:

I'm sorry but imo this is terrible advice to "notch" your wheels, and I guarantee Jeremy isn't doing this anymore. I had the same problem on my Revo with it stripping wheel hubs. It was my fault however, cause I had spent so much money on a set of MX38 Badlands, I thought using car oil plug gaskets would help lock the wheel in. Nope! The solution was that I had bought red hub nuts that happened to not be serrated. So I took a dremel and serrated my own wheel nuts. Never had a problem again. Also the quality of the hubs makes a difference. My AE has nice thick hubs, with 2.5mm pins that sit perfectly flush with the edges of the hub. I have to use an adjustable wrench to center the pin flush before tightening the hubs grub screw. If you try and put any cross pin that has the tiniest slop in the hole (diffs included) that hub will act like a pair of wire cutters, and snap that pin. It actually took a torch for me to finally get my front hubs off to change out the bearings.

I'm sorry but imo this is terrible advice to "notch" your wheels, and I guarantee Jeremy isn't doing this anymore. I had the same problem on my Revo with it stripping wheel hubs. It was my fault however, cause I had spent so much money on a set of MX38 Badlands, I thought using car oil plug gaskets would help lock the wheel in. Nope! The solution was that I had bought red hub nuts that happened to not be serrated. So I took a dremel and serrated my own wheel nuts. Never had a problem again. Also the quality of the hubs makes a difference. My AE has nice thick hubs, with 2.5mm pins that sit perfectly flush with the edges of the hub. I have to use an adjustable wrench to center the pin flush before tightening the hubs grub screw. If you try and put any cross pin that has the tiniest slop in the hole (diffs included) that hub will act like a pair of wire cutters, and snap that pin. It actually took a torch for me to finally get my front hubs off to change out the bearings.

I would never do it either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back