Granite Stripped Input Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 6s
  4. Typhon 6s
I'm having an issue with stripped input gear and differential main gear. Is this regular wear and tear or would something else be likely causing this? This is on a Granite BLX 3S V2, pretty much stock. About four months old and I've ran about 40 packs (a mixture of 2S and 3S) through it.

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

I haven't stripped an input gear, but I have stripped a slipper gear with no other causes. Make sure all bearings are spinning freely, on the input gear, the differentials, and wheels. and check that the differential is operating smoothly. If everything checks out, it may just have gotten worn out.

Put more grease in it or add some every couple of runs. I’ve been running the same gears for a year now and they are wearing down a lot but as long as I keep greasing them they wear slower and last way longer. Gears with no grease might last a couple packs and burn up.

The grease is for sure a problem. Still looking for a longer lasting one.

My first gear lasted two years without maintenance, but after the first maintenance it stripped after ten packs or so.

It also depends on the used diff fluid. Started now double checkin them each week or two.

I recently just had this happen on my outcast the input gear looks identical to mine . I think mine was from landing hard under power and the slipper was to tight because that same weekend I sheered off the back side of the slipper plate also. My diff gear did have two small chips on two of the teeth too. So make sure your slipper is set properly.

Lucas red in tacky works good. Blue marine is the best. Something else that I think seems to help since this plastic seems like it is abrasive to itself. I took old pencils and ground them up with a file and sprinkled some on the grease after applying it. Make sure to use the soft graphite because it is used as a dry lubricant. The spray on stuff makes a mess and might ruin the gears because it has solvents in it that’s why I use pencils instead of spray.

Thank you everyone. This is helpful. I'll just attribute it to normal wear and tear. I probably shouldn't have used the white lithium grease but instead stuck with my Valvoline red grease which seemed to last longer. Too bad that the input gears are out of stock everyone so the Granite will have to sit on the shelf for a while.

Too bad that the input gears are out of stock everyone so the Granite will have to sit on the shelf for a while.

They do seem to be out of stock online, but I have no trouble finding them in local hobby shops that don't do online sales. Metal gears should also be coming out soon.

Last edited:
I have been having the same issue (on Big Rock BLX v3) and it just took about 12 - 14 packs to wear out. Mine was also fine until I did Maintenance (the first one lasted almost a year). I just ordered my 4th gear now. One thing I noticed is when I went to thicker diff fluid it happened faster (2nd replacement gear wore out the fastest, in essence). So, i am reducing down to 30K in rear now. I have had no issues in front diff running 80K fluid. Don't want to change too many variables right now. The bearings seem fine, but I will replace those next time. But I will inspect the rear input gear replacement probably 5 packs in to see if its happening again.

Thank you everyone. This is helpful. I'll just attribute it to normal wear and tear. I probably shouldn't have used the white lithium grease but instead stuck with my Valvoline red grease which seemed to last longer. Too bad that the input gears are out of stock everyone so the Granite will have to sit on the shelf for a while.
Check jennys. If the blx Senton and blx granite use the same(?) they had em last night for the senton.

Check jennys. If the blx Senton and blx granite use the same(?) they had em last night for the senton.
Okay, I just confirmed that the senton and granite input gears are the same. Go to Jenny’s quick, there are three sets of senton/granite input gears left ($15). Oops, 2 left as I just got one.

One thing I noticed is when I went to thicker diff fluid it happened faster (2nd replacement gear wore out the fastest, in essence).
Hmm, I've actually been having a problem with rear diff/input gears lately. Impact from jumping is the main reason. The Hot Racing yoke definitely helped, but I just stripped my 3rd after going to thicker diff fluid. It could just be coincidence, but I'm wondering if others have also experienced more stripped diffs with heavier oil. I do like the performance of slightly heavier diff fluid, but durability always comes first for me.

Hmm, I've actually been having a problem with rear diff/input gears lately. Impact from jumping is the main reason. The Hot Racing yoke definitely helped, but I just stripped my 3rd after going to thicker diff fluid. It could just be coincidence, but I'm wondering if others have also experienced more stripped diffs with heavier oil. I do like the performance of slightly heavier diff fluid, but durability always comes first for me.

Heavier diff fluid is harder on the drivetrain because the car is not as easily able to bleed power off from the wheel that is "stuck" to the other, freer side. The heavier the fluid you use, the more of a locked diff you have which is obviously harder on the gears.

Last time I stripped one my slipper was just too tight, rear diff and rear driveshafts take a beating with it too tight. I even broke a CVD from having it too tight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back