Stripped pinion gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg2367

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey guys im new to the forum and i need some help.I got an outcast and i love the truck,its a beast.But ive ran 6s in it twice and stripped the pinion gear both times.Runs perfect on 4s but ofcourse i bought a 6s truck to run 6s sometimes,ya know?Been doing rc's for a few years now so not a newbie,but obviously don't know it all.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You may look for Tekno or Robinson Racing pinions. You want a 5mm shaft pinion with MOD1 tooth.

Then I don't know if you know about this, ignore if you do, but maybe your gear mesh is too tight or too lose. You may want to view a Youtube video about that.

You may look for Tekno or Robinson Racing pinions. You want a 5mm shaft pinion with MOD1 tooth.

Then I don't know if you know about this, ignore if you do, but maybe your gear mesh is too tight or too lose. You may want to view a Youtube video about that.
T

Thanks for the tip,i have ordered the RR Extra hard steel,mod 1 pinion gear w/5mm bore.Ive been in rcs for a while so yes im familiar with setting the gear mesh.Thats what was puzzling me so much.I gotta say im not real impressed with arrma.This is my first arrma truck,and i was sooooo looking forward to it.But to produce a 6s capable vehicle thats not capable of handling 6s makes no sense to me.I mean put the pinion in there from the begining.Been thru 3 arrma pinions in 3 weeks and only when i run 6s,runs fine on 4s.Anyway thanks for the tip i really appreciate it.

The pinion is among one of the things they should update for the next version of their cars. Along with longer springs, 4mm shock shafts, about 10mm longer springs and hopefully letiing us run a 7.2v servo and/or putting a stronger/faster servo in.

I agree about being sure the mesh is just right. There are some 5 second videos that demonstrate it nicely. I like Amain's video, perhaps the best. I use that method, and now only rocks are ruining my pinions, lol.

I to have had this issue and have had to replace 3 pinions. They only seem to last 2 runs on 6S??? I to have tried to follow all the instructions, tips etc. on setting the correct gear mesh but no luck. I have ordered a HSP pinion gear just to try something different but would love to hear if anyone has tried the Tekno or Robinson Racing pinions and your experience.

If mesh is okay, I'd guess it was broken by rock or debris...Are there some whole teeth broken off or is the whole gear getting worn down/deformed? I have gone through +8 and everyone was a small rock. Each time one to 3 teeth were broken off, all next to each other. A couple of times, the culprit rock was still sitting there. With a good fitting shroud, I seem to have halted the issue, at least so far :p but it's a bad chassis design, IMO. The back of the chassis cuts of at a very sharp angle, leaving the motor, motor wires, exposed, and large openings for junk to infiltrate...okay, maybe bad design was too much, but it could be better, IMO.

I put the Tall Sides, from the Outcast on my Kraton, as well as the front dirt guards, and the inside of the truck is MUCH cleaner than before. I used to bash a spot that was all wood chips and I would shake out more wood chips than could fit in both my hands. Now I might have 2 or 3 wood chips total. I'm a little concerned with airflow, but I just keep an eye on the heat now.

If mesh is okay, I'd guess it was broken by rock or debris...Are there some whole teeth broken off or is the whole gear getting worn down/deformed? I have gone through +8 and everyone was a small rock. Each time one to 3 teeth were broken off, all next to each other. A couple of times, the culprit rock was still sitting there. With a good fitting shroud, I seem to have halted the issue, at least so far :p but it's a bad chassis design, IMO. The back of the chassis cuts of at a very sharp angle, leaving the motor, motor wires, exposed, and large openings for junk to infiltrate...okay, maybe bad design was too much, but it could be better, IMO.

For me each time at least one tooth has broken off. In one case multiple teeth but in different spots? I like the idea of covering it somehow as I agree way to much debris seems to get in for my liking. I have ordered a few different pinion options also so will let you know how that goes but will look into the idea of additional gaurds etc. as well. I will also try changing the punch settings just in case my trigger happy driving might be the cause :p. Will keep you posted.

Any you people know why the moving parts,like gears an such are not exposed in your real vehicles. I will never understand open pinion an spur concept for outside Running. When you guys switch to harden pinion gear,start ordering spur gears cause there going to turn into dust too. I am tired of waiting parts also.

Any you people know why the moving parts,like gears an such are not exposed in your real vehicles. I will never understand open pinion an spur concept for outside Running. When you guys switch to harden pinion gear,start ordering spur gears cause there going to turn into dust too. I am tired of waiting parts also.

Yeah I have ordered the dust cover from T-Bone racing and am playing around with other options to cover both the spur and pinion. I will post something once I have received it and have done some testing.

If you're stripping gears then the mesh is too loose. Our vehicles put out a lot of torque so the mesh has to be spot on. Hold the pinion down and move the spur gear you should feel the spur gear barely move and hear a very faint click. The paper trick doesn't work all the time so don't just use that method. Also make sure grub screw on pinion is threadlocked and torqued down good.

If you're stripping gears then the mesh is too loose. Our vehicles put out a lot of torque so the mesh has to be spot on. Hold the pinion down and move the spur gear you should feel the spur gear barely move and hear a very faint click. The paper trick doesn't work all the time so don't just use that method. Also make sure grub screw on pinion is threadlocked and torqued down good.

Definately have threadlocked and tightented the grub screw. Have tried the test as you suggested and seems good but will need to do a run to fully test it. Will do some bashing later this week and see how I go.

I have several vehicles that put out just as much if not more tourqe than any arrma vehicle does and i have no problems with them.And im gonna say ive been setting the mesh long enough to know how to do it and do it right.All of these people are having the very same issue so everyone cant be doing it wrong.And you folks at arrma taking offense and not taking any responsibility for this issue is a joke.You know how i fixed the problem????I bought a robinson racing hard steel pinion that lasted long enough for me to sell that piece of junk,thats how i fixed it.And i'll never buy another arrma vehicle as long as im in the hobby.Wich has been over 20 yrs. now and ive owned hundreds of rc's and currently own 42.Take some responsibility for your design flaws sometime and get some real parts or any parts for that matter available to the people you sell these trucks to.How about that?

I have several vehicles that put out just as much if not more tourqe than any arrma vehicle does and i have no problems with them.And im gonna say ive been setting the mesh long enough to know how to do it and do it right.All of these people are having the very same issue so everyone cant be doing it wrong.And you folks at arrma taking offense and not taking any responsibility for this issue is a joke.You know how i fixed the problem????I bought a robinson racing hard steel pinion that lasted long enough for me to sell that piece of junk,thats how i fixed it.And i'll never buy another arrma vehicle as long as im in the hobby.Wich has been over 20 yrs. now and ive owned hundreds of rc's and currently own 42.Take some responsibility for your design flaws sometime and get some real parts or any parts for that matter available to the people you sell these trucks to.How about that?
Maybe that's why I'm not stripping gears because I only use Novak and Robinson racing pinions.

Wow, easy there @Greg2367. No one from ARRMA voiced an opinion in here. All I noticed were people offering their help. If you like another brand of cars, that's cool by me. You may wear a different brand of shoe than I do, also cool with me. But to jump in here an berate a group of guys who are just trying to help, pretty much tells me all I need to know. :finger:

Agreed...... We are all here to help each other to be more knowledgable in the RC world. If you're a Traxxas guy or Redcat guy thats fine but don't say that Arrma Is a piece of junk. Every brand has a weak point nothing is bulletproof. So far I'm very happy with Arrma and many people on this forum will vouch for me in agreement.

Don't get me wrong I love the Outcast. I mean I am by no means an expert and I only have a few vehicles but even with this issue the Outcast has been so much fun. As Arrmajunkee mentioned no vehicle is bulletproof and I have had different issues with each vehicle and honestly if a pinion is the worst of it, a $5 part, then I am happy with that. Just hoping I can get a longer life then 1 to 2 runs and then everything will be sweet :cool:

So far, the "TheToyz" Traxxas shroud mentioned in forum already, has been a big success. I've been driving around not worrying about rocks getting in, and I like the feeling :)

I put the Tall Sides, from the Outcast on my Kraton, as well as the front dirt guards, and the inside of the truck is MUCH cleaner than before. I used to bash a spot that was all wood chips and I would shake out more wood chips than could fit in both my hands. Now I might have 2 or 3 wood chips total. I'm a little concerned with airflow, but I just keep an eye on the heat now.
Cool, thanks for the idea, maybe I'll try it at some point soon!

Last edited:
Ok now I am feeling really discouraged!! So I have tried using a shroud which did keep it clean, lowered the punch setting, made sure I got the gear on tight and double checked the mesh setting. Now not only did I strip another gear but the motor shaft has now broken off??? REALLY!!! I can't be the only one having all these issues on 6s. In total I have run this truck 7 times and have broken 4 pinions and now a motor shaft. Really starting to think I leave it on 4S and only drive it to church on Sundays...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back