Senton Stripped pinion grub screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnesnowtah

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Went to try a different pinion size and stripped the damn grub screw. This motor plate design is horrible as you have to come at it from an angle. Is there any way to get it out? I may just order an aftermarket plate when I inevitably upgrade the stock electronics anyway. Seems like less hassle.

Different pinion means you are going to have to change gear mesh. At that point might as well just slide the mounting plate out of the base anyways. BE AWARE the screws locking the plate in are loctited in as well - use a mini torch, or some other form of heat to melt out the loctite first. doesn't have to be insanely hot, just hot enough that you can touch it for a second but any longer will burn

I changed my Senton pinion and thought I had stripped it as well. I used my soldering iron to heat the grub and it came right out so don't give up on it yet before heating it.

Agree with Ababyeater (funny). You shouldn't need to go at an angle, just pull everything out so you have enough room to get to the grub screw straight on.

Heat is your best friend when it comes to swapping pinions...when reusing pinion clean loc-tite outa threads good an reapply LT ,let it dry for a day.ill put fan on motor overnight. Loose pinions are NO fun

Agree with Ababyeater (funny). You shouldn't need to go at an angle, just pull everything out so you have enough room to get to the grub screw straight on.
I’m an idiot. lol. I should’ve loosened the motor from the mount so I could tilt it and hit it at a straight angle. It’s totally stripped and my brainless fault. 😂. I think I’ll just upgrade the motor mount when the motor eventually gives out. Thanks for the reply.

I’m an idiot. lol. I should’ve loosened the motor from the mount so I could tilt it and hit it at a straight angle. It’s totally stripped and my brainless fault. 😂. I think I’ll just upgrade the motor mount when the motor eventually gives out. Thanks for the reply.
Hey its a steep learning curve sometimes lol I've made many mistakes the first month owning my cars. At least now you know 😁

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back