Typhon Stripped rear diff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kierthas

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Typhon 3s
I was ripping my typhon around the backyard and started hearing a clicking/grinding noise now its pretty much front wheel drive only. took the motor out and I can see the spur gear without taking the motor apart and it seems to be ok. Is my rear diff boned?

Ya I looked at the diff its stripped, grey plastic mixed with grease all over the inside. sigh. actually looks like the little output pinion is whats most messed up.

Attachments

• 20191012_174539.jpg
    20191012_174539.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 20191012_174457.jpg
    20191012_174457.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 128
Yeah i think both are destroyed
Remplace both of them they are quite cheap also look if you don't have a bended motor mount if you do i will say get the hot racing adjustable mount who is made of a harder material than stock

Yeahh, off to Jenny's RC I go, to bad I don't have a hex driver long and skinny enough to get the drive shaft off the diff...

I should, but I don't, my Mip driver is too short to get to the screw my other driver is long enough but to fat the fit in the hole in the drive shaft lol, unless theres another way of getting the plastic slider shaft off, I could be missing something I'm fairly new to rc stuff.

I should, but I don't, my Mip driver is too short to get to the screw my other driver is long enough but to fat the fit in the hole in the drive shaft lol, unless theres another way of getting the plastic slider shaft off, I could be missing something I'm fairly new to rc stuff.
You just need a good 2mm hex driver that is long enough to reach the screw in the output drive. It shouldn’t be too expensive. I got some on Amazon. Here is a link to a $13 set on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CP2GGBI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_e1NODbZABY7TN

Do you happen to know if this sets 2mm will reach that screw? if it will i'll order them no problem I mean it looks like it will lol
I have that exact set and yet it reaches

welp I think i figured out what screwed my rear diff possibly anyway, I think I over tightened a screw directly under the rear diff it was actually coming out inside the diff I think maybe it was hitting a gear but I cant be sure.
I bought some long hexes at Home Depot that just got there with little room to spare.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-SAE-Metric-Long-Arm-Hex-Key-Set-26-Piece-HLAHKSM26PC/202934869
I ordered the ones Jondilly1974 posted but thank you for the suggestion

Last edited:
welp I think i figured out what screwed my rear diff possibly anyway, I think I over tightened a screw directly under the rear diff it was actually coming out inside the diff I think maybe it was hitting a gear but I cant be sure.

I ordered the ones Jondilly1974 posted but thank you for the suggestion

Usually bearing failure is to blame... how much run time on it?

Usually bearing failure is to blame... how much run time on it?
well I've had it for about 4 months, run it every friday and sat only 1 pack each night so maybe 50min per weekend on average. not a basher either i run in parking lots mostly.

Yeahh, off to Jenny's RC I go, to bad I don't have a hex driver long and skinny enough to get the drive shaft off the diff...
From what I can recall you should be able to just bend the u-joint 90 degrees or so and put a wrench in there
Yes i think now you need to figure out why. Me it was because of the crappy white lithium grease who chewed 3 whole diffs
Yup totally agree don’t use white lithium grease

What would be the recommendation to grease the diffs (type, amount, etc.)?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back