Stripped Screw Trying to Change pinion gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLiM2775

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
A tooth broke on the pinion gear in my Kraton 6s. I ordered a Robinson pinion gear for it but I stripped one of the 4 screws that need to come out to remove the motor, the ones underneath. The only way I can think of is drilling it out but I don't want to mess the threads up so I can put a replacement screw in. Does anyone have any advice on getting that screw out? And do i need to remove the motor to change the pinion gear.

Upps,...
You can try an left turning drill or / and an tool which we call Screw extractor.
It´s like an cone-shaped screw from harder metal.
Drill an hole into the head of the screw, put the extractor in and tun him left (counter clockwise).
In the most cases you will become the screw out.
Sometimes the screw will become loosen just by drilling with the left turning drill.

At least you can drill just the head of the screw away and try to turn out the rest of the screw with an plier....

Before you also strip the small set screw into the pinion gear, try to make them hot!
You can use an small gas burner or better an middle size solder iron.
In the most cases there is a kind of lock fluid in the thread.
Heat will make them softer that you will get out the screw without damaging.

Oh, use locking liquid middle hard when mount you´re new pinion gear!
(I use Loctite blue). Not strong! Strong is like glue!

Upps,...
You can try an left turning drill or / and an tool which we call Screw extractor.
It´s like an cone-shaped screw from harder metal.
Drill an hole into the head of the screw, put the extractor in and tun him left (counter clockwise).
In the most cases you will become the screw out.
Sometimes the screw will become loosen just by drilling with the left turning drill.

At least you can drill just the head of the screw away and try to turn out the rest of the screw with an plier....

Before you also strip the small set screw into the pinion gear, try to make them hot!
You can use an small gas burner or better an middle size solder iron.
In the most cases there is a kind of lock fluid in the thread.
Heat will make them softer that you will get out the screw without damaging.

Oh, use locking liquid middle hard when mount you´re new pinion gear!
(I use Loctite blue). Not strong! Strong is like glue!

I have blue loctite I will try the drill bit first and if that doesn't work I will try a extracter. Thanks for the help

I wish good luck!
I just can recommend what I had done in the past. Maybe an other guy had other experience and an better solution...
Take a bit time that other people can give their tips! ;)

Yes, Loctite blue is more than strong enough for RC.

Had same issue once cause i tightened screws really hard metal to metal lol...went to a friend took a drill and just drilled the screwhead off...its pretty much perfect angle to fit the countersunk hole so no harm done to chassi. And then screw will almlst come out by itself :)

Edit didnt read first reply lol

That happened to me once I took a dremmel with a cutoff wheel & cut across the head of the screw then used a flat blade screw driver to remove it.

You can always use a dremel tool and make the head a flat head to..

You can always use a dremel tool and make the head a flat head to..
And you don't need to remove the motor entirely some ppl do it without touching motor I had to loosen the to motor mount bolts to do mine but that was it just took the tower off and the four screws that hold the cover plate on over the spur gear.

Hi

Did you ever get the screw out. Was some sort of Loctite used on the screws, if so try using a lighter or mini torch to heat up the screw head to melt the Loctite so you can remove the screw.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back