Stripped Spur

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BibbitZ

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
Well, that was short lived.

Wzg7Ujb.jpg

I just replaced the spur gear 20 min ago, and it's completely bald now. I thought I had a good mesh,.. obviously not. Glad I bought two of them this morning. Going tighter this time, I guess?

Last edited:
I'd check your front motor bearing and also the bearings on the slipper hubs as if they are bad this will continue to happen. Also check your motor mount is not bent as that will also cause this to happen. Remember you have to check the mesh after making the adjustment and putting the cover on to fully align the slipper assembly then check by rocking the slipper for that just tiny bit of play between the pinion.

I agree with @Edough13. There’s a lot of "cumulative error" that can go unnoticed when you’re bashing. Plastic bits seem to be the 1st casualties of drivetrain issues.

I'd check your front motor bearing and also the bearings on the slipper hubs as if they are bad this will continue to happen. Also check your motor mount is not bent as that will also cause this to happen. Remember you have to check the mesh after making the adjustment and putting the cover on to fully align the slipper assembly then check by rocking the slipper for that just tiny bit of play between the pinion.

The motor mount and slipper bearings are good. Checked both of those yesterday while installing the pictured spur. I honestly think I just need a tighter mesh this time.

Should I have to check the motor bearings within the first couple weeks of ownership? Is taking the motor apart fairly straight forward?

Did you crash it before the first spur stripped? You may need another motor mount. If so get a HR mount. Arrma mount is too weak.

Well, that was short lived.

Wzg7Ujb.jpg

I just replaced the spur gear 20 min ago, and it's completely bald now. I thought I had a good mesh,.. obviously not. Glad I bought two of them this morning. Going tighter this time, I guess?
Based just on the photo, I'd say you were way off on the mesh. The tip of the pinion It's tricky setting the mesh on these because you can't get a real feel until the back cover is on. When I set it and put the back cover on, I stick a flathead screw driver in the front of the slipper and spin it to make sure it doesn't bind. This allows me to set the mesh pretty snug from the get go. As long as it doesn't bind, it should be fine.

The motor mount and slipper bearings are good. Checked both of those yesterday while installing the pictured spur. I honestly think I just need a tighter mesh this time.

Should I have to check the motor bearings within the first couple weeks of ownership? Is taking the motor apart fairly straight forward?
You don't have to pull it apart just see if the shaft has any side to side movement. And yes the brand new Vorteks I got from the forum the motor bearing went out on the 3rd pack on the Spektrum 3200kv and ate the spur.

You don't have to pull it apart just see if the shaft has any side to side movement. And yes the brand new Vorteks I got from the forum the motor bearing went out on the 3rd pack on the Spektrum 3200kv and ate the spur.

Ah, yeah there's no lateral movement on the motor shaft. I went ahead and ordered a HR motor mount just to be safe. I'll wait to put the new spur on until the mount gets here.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back