Kraton Stripping Pinion Gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC-RAD

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton 4s
  4. Mojave
  5. Outcast 4s
Within the last 2 weeks I’ve managed to strip a 13t pinion gear on my O4S and a 15t pinion gear on my K4S.

What may cause this? Am I too aggressive on the throttle? Gear mesh too tight (I don’t think so because there’s definitely some play between the spur and pinion). Maybe a rock got into the power module and stripped my pinion? My diffs are fine and are not stripped in both rigs which is surprising to me.

Anyways, thanks in advance for the advise.

321AC56A-E07D-472A-9214-F9AF24C62076.jpeg

E6226F50-1665-4EF5-952D-3FC6DBA6E657.jpeg

Kind of looks like a end can bearing failure...Check for shaft play side to side.. bearings in the motors are know for being bad.. if you have any side to side play it's a wrap for the gears..✌

Kind of looks like a end can bearing failure...Check for shaft play side to side.. bearings in the motors are know for being bad.. if you have any side to side play it's a wrap for the gears..✌
Motor shaft is totally fine.

I wanna assume the gear mesh came loose. Seems like the accurate culprit.

Motor shaft is totally fine.

I wanna assume the gear mesh came loose. Seems like the accurate culprit.

What mount do you have in them? If it's fixed it can only be loose due to a bent motor mount, or bearing failure

Did you ever solve your problem? To me it looks like the motor mount screws may have wiggled loose while driving. Do you use loctite on them?

Did you ever solve your problem? To me it looks like the motor mount screws may have wiggled loose while driving. Do you use loctite on them?

yeah the motor screws backed out. I try not to loctite those screws since I switch out pinion gears pretty often.

Always use loctite (blue) and let it sit for 24h to cure.
Other use red or orange, I'm happy with blue. Just make sure the threads are clean.

yeah the motor screws backed out. I try not to loctite those screws since I switch out pinion gears pretty often.
Yea I hear you, loctite is a pain, but it can help you from losing pinions... when things get warm down there... doesn’t matter how tight you make things, without loctite on the pinion it’s for sure going to come loose.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back