Stuck grub screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobalt172

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hey everyone.

The grub screw in the picture is stuck to a level I've never though even possible:

I've tried heating it with soldering iron

I've bathed it in penetrating oil for 24 hours.

I've tried using an Allen wrench and pliers to get more power.

It wont budge

I'm just gonna have to buy a whole new spur gear assembly I am so mad right now

Attachments

• 20200104_093322.jpg
    20200104_093322.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 93
You have a mini torch or heat gun, from my experience a soldering iron doesn’t work all the time...

Heat gun should do it. Metal to metal I don’t see any plastics around to melt.

Yep, soldering iron isnt always enough heat for that crazy tough red loctite. You haven't stripped the head so you will get it... use major heat for a couple of mins being careful with shelding nearby plastics.. and it will come. ;)

The head is now completely stripped.

Please tell me what to do now.

Major heat then try a left hand drill bit or 'easyout' :/

With a heat gun or torch to heat it up, I would jam in a torx bit or something to be able to turn it if it’s stripped already...

Tried it.

Lost my temper and heres where I am now: hit it with a hammer so hard the vice ripped out of the bench and flew and punched a hole in the drywall in the garage.

Ordering new spur gear assembly. I'm almost ready to call it quits with this hobby.

Attachments

• 20200104_114157.jpg
    20200104_114157.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Tried it.

Lost my temper and heres where I am now: hit it with a hammer so hard the vice ripped out of the bench and flew and punched a hole in the drywall in the garage.

Ordering new spur gear assembly. I'm almost ready to call it quits with this hobby.
Been there before.... I whipped my DHK Maximus across my house one day and then out the front door a few days later haha... last week I put a hole in my hand trying to get a stuck grub screw out of my sons brcc hub. The tiny Allen bit went thru to my bone lol.. Instead of throwing his rc, I made myself a drink and used the extractors I bought lol

Sometimes it's better to just set your stuff down and walk away for a minute. Get yourself a good screw extractor set and drill a small pilot hole in the grub screw and pour some heat to it with a micro butane torch and extractor set should work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back