Kraton Stuck shock rod end

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ph47mf

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
Hi guys, I managed to get out for some bashing today however I broke a few things - shock rod end, rpm arms (what a surprise!) and rear diff case (not sure how).

Sorry if this topic has been done to death.

1) see the rod end picture, for the life of me I can't get it off, if I turn it just turns with the shaft, i've tried a few things but no joy, any ideas before I bring out the chainsaw?

2) any decent rod end upgrades? Any UK links would be great.

3) shall I continue with the V4 diff case or go for the V5 case with the locking d cup or simply upgrade to something else including newer diffs? However to be fair I haven't had any diff troubles.

Cheers guys

IMG_20210306_194636.jpg
IMG_20210306_194748.jpg
IMG_20210306_194643.jpg
IMG_20210306_194734.jpg
IMG_20210306_194616.jpg
IMG_20210306_194726.jpg

Dremel/ cut the RPM to get the hinge pin out. It may be bent also. just look closely. Major carnage there dude. User Error??
There is only One Bulkhead part.. The one you have. Never changed from V4's V5's and EXB models. All the same part#.
You can go with a HR alloy for like $50. ish. But honestly Your driving caused that damage. An upgrade to HR alloy wont make for less damage the way you are driving. Practice driving better, makes for less damage to the parts you broke. 🤷‍♂️ An alloy Bulkhead comes with other damage risks to other parts. The stock plastic Bulkhead is cheap enough to replace. especially until you get better driving skills.
Cold temps make plastics crack easier, if that applies in your case. :cool:
Many boil RPM Arms in boiling water for 20 min or so. To make them more flexible. Just an idea.

If you don’t already have something like the Tekno Ball End and Shock Rod multi tool, do yourself a favor and get one. Use that to grip the shock rod and then use pliers to turn the broken bit of rod end off.

Also for the hinge pin to remove I grab some pliers or vice grips and a paper towel. Wrap end with towel and use pliers/vice grips to grab it and pull it out twist it as you pull if you can it helps👍

I can already see some marks on your shockrod, you must have used pliers. Get yourself a shocktool, cheap and you will use it a lot.
You can use pliers but you must use the smooth section of the pliers or you damage the shock rod. Now it will ruin the seals inside and you will start leaking oil.
Pliers with tape as protection are very slippery i.e. not recommended.

Just search for shocktool, they should be in the ~$20 range and should be plentiful.

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/Multifunctio...=1&keywords=shock+tool&qid=1615071332&sr=8-19

I can already see some marks on your shockrod, you must have used pliers. Get yourself a shocktool, cheap and you will use it a lot.
You can use pliers but you must use the smooth section of the pliers or you damage the shock rod. Now it will ruin the seals inside and you will start leaking oil.
Pliers with tape as protection are very slippery i.e. not recommended.

Just search for shocktool, they should be in the ~$20 range and should be plentiful.

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/Multifunctio...=1&keywords=shock+tool&qid=1615071332&sr=8-19
These things are a life saver when you are building shocks and they work for turnbuckles too.

Put the rod in a vise in between some thick leather pieces to prevent it from turning. Thatll hold it in place...
What also prevents scratching them in a vice is a piece of this seatbelt kinda thing you secure a load in your car or truck... "spanngurt" in german, dunno whats it called in english sorry

A shock tool wont score or damage the shock shaft. The shafts must stay smooth or they will damage the O-rings. I go out of my way to polish the shafts on a drill when new and rebuilding them. The last thing I want to do is use pliers on them. 🤷‍♂️
A dedicated shock tool is made of alloy and is softer than the steel shock shafts. No damage results. Any other way is just wrong. IMHO.
The Tekno shock tool I have also removes and installs Balls from the ball ends. Neatly and fast. Pops in or out quick.. Most have this feature.
In theory any generic aluminum non RC pliers will suffice. Not common to find.

Amazon.com: prorcmodel Aluminum Multi Shock RC Clamps 3.0 3.5 4.0 Assembly Disassembly Tool for RC Car: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: Tekno RC 1115 Pivot Ball & Aluminum Shock Multi- Tool: Toys & Games

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back