Typhon Stumbles on take off with driveshaft hooked up....🤔

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedDemon.no1

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
  2. Typhon 3s
Recently swapped over to the hotracing metal spur setup with the extra slipper pad and 18t pionion with mx28 tires. I was doing the normal diff maintenance when I realized a couple teeth were chipped on the front input gear. Replaced the gear and greased everything up and when I went to give it a run I noticed it stumbling like it was slipping or cogging on hard acceleration. Haven't had any problems with this setup until I put it back together. Funny thing is when I take the driveshaft out and accelerate in 2wd...it takes off like a rocket with the wheels in the air. Slipper clutch is not loose and the car will still pull the tires up in 4wd...just has this cog like stumble at first. Sorry for long post just wanted to give the 411 first. Any input before I tear it back down again. Thx in advance

Make sure you thoroughly clean out the gearbox and you must replace both gears not just one, if one is damaged the other is likely as well.

The front differential is probably stripped and the teeth are jamming it up. Or something with the front differential. Only thing I can think of.
Front diff has brand new gears just put in last night. Spins nice with no binding at all. Only driven 2 minutes since rebuild. Noticed the stumble instantly. I keep this car well maintained for a basher

Front diff has brand new gears just put in last night. Spins nice with no binding at all. Only driven 2 minutes since rebuild. Noticed the stumble instantly. I keep this car well maintained for a basher
Hmm strange :unsure:

Ohhhhh, I was reading it too fast and thought you were talking about the rear diff. I can't think of anything. When your drive shaft is in, can you spin the drive shaft nicely? And will it turn the wheels? If you know what I mean.

Make sure you thoroughly clean out the gearbox and you must replace both gears not just one, if one is damaged the other is likely as well.

Car was running like a champ at the park Sunday. I heard a slight click when I gave it hard throttle so I quit running and put it in the truck. Haven't touched until last night when took the diff apart and seen the chipped teeth.. I had a brand new ring and input gear on hand so I rebuilt the diff. Greased with Lucas red and tacky. Spins up nice and fast off the ground and on looser dirt/grass but on pavement it cogs or slips. Didn't do this before and everything seems to be đź’Ż. No hesitation at all in 2wd. Could it be worn slipper pads causing a cog like slip with the extra strain of 4wd, Put the metal spur on maybe 4 packs ago. Esc, motor ?

Your slipper might be too loose. IDK. You don't want to over tighten it though or you will break things. Mine was doing that today. Just realized. Yeah, that sounds like your slipper is too loose. When I start from a stand still, it would kinda cog and would feel like it had no power. It stopped once I got going though. @jondilly1974 did a video of how to set your slipper properly. At least I think it was him.

Pretty sure slipper is tight enough I do the floor rolling until the tires start to drag method. Gonna replace the pads just haven't got them yet. Just not sure if the slipper will cause a cogging slip or a more drawn out slip if that makes any since. Crazy how it was strong on takeoff and now it stumbles all of the sudden after diff rebuild. Pretty positive the front diff is good. I've rebuilt several of them. I even double checked it before this post just to be sure. Gonna put the 15t pinion on it tomorro just to see it still does it with a smaller gear. Might just be starting to cog all of the sudden with the 18t.

Pretty sure slipper is tight enough I do the floor rolling until the tires start to drag method. Gonna replace the pads just haven't got them yet. Just not sure if the slipper will cause a cogging slip or a more drawn out slip if that makes any since. Crazy how it was strong on takeoff and now it stumbles all of the sudden after diff rebuild. Pretty positive the front diff is good. I've rebuilt several of them. I even double checked it before this post just to be sure. Gonna put the 15t pinion on it tomorro just to see it still does it with a smaller gear. Might just be starting to cog all of the sudden with the 18t.
I have 5.15 inch tires with a 15T and its perfect. What size are your tires?

Proline mx28s 5.05....I ran the 15t and bumped up to 18t a couple weeks ago and haven't had any problems since then until now. Really like the speed of the 18 with the mx28s.
Can you post a video

Can you post a video by chance?
I can't tonight because its 11:20 p.m here and I don't have a video already taken. Sorry bud....definitely wish I could tho

Yeah, It would be nice if you had a video, but I think you can only put youtube videos on here. @WoodiE, @slick2500, do you think there is any chance you guys and/or the other other admins could make so you can post videos on here in the future? Like a mp4 or avi file, not just a youtube link. Like you can do "insert link" and "insert image" it would be sweet to do a "insert video". If you know what I mean. Or would it be too hard and not worth the trouble. It would be nice for those of us who don't have a youtube account or can't make one. Or am I missing something and you already can do that? Just a thought. :cool:

Yeah, It would be nice if you had a video, but I think you can only put youtube videos on here. @WoodiE, @slick2500, do you think there is any chance you guys and/or the other other admins could make so you can post videos on here in the future? Like a mp4 or avi file, not just a youtube link. Like you can do "insert link" and "insert image" it would be sweet to do a "insert video". If you know what I mean. Or would it be too hard and not worth the trouble. It would be nice for those of us who don't have a youtube account or can't make one. Or am I missing something and you already can do that? Just a thought. :cool:
I don't think it is possible to be honest, it uses a lot of data to stream the videos and the videos take up an enormous amount of space.

do you think there is any chance you guys and/or the other other admins could make so you can post videos on here in the future?
The forum software does support uploading videos, but has been turned off. Videos take up a ton of space and use even more bandwidth.

Until someone wants to suddenly give me a bunch of money to take care of these costs we're stuck with uploading to youtube or vimeo instead.

The forum software does support uploading videos, but has been turned off. Videos take up a ton of space and use even more bandwidth.

Until someone wants to suddenly give me a bunch of money to take care of these costs we're stuck with uploading to youtube or vimeo instead.
Yeah, makes sense. :cool: Thanks for answering my question.(y)

Proline mx28s 5.05....I ran the 15t and bumped up to 18t a couple weeks ago and haven't had any problems since then until now. Really like the speed of the 18 with the mx28s.

I can't tonight because its 11:20 p.m here and I don't have a video already taken. Sorry bud....definitely wish I could tho
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the same problem and I'm even using a bigger motor and ESC.

I had a brand new ring and input gear on hand so I rebuilt the diff. Greased with Lucas red and tacky. Spins up nice and fast off the ground and on looser dirt/grass but on pavement it cogs or slips. Didn't do this before and everything seems to be đź’Ż. No hesitation at all in 2wd. Could it be worn slipper pads causing a cog like slip with the extra strain of 4wd, Put the metal spur on maybe 4 packs ago. Esc, motor ?
IMHO, that is the issue, or at least part of the issue. Tacky grease has no place in an RC gearbox. Plus, the 4x4 diffs have HUGE teeth, so that gives more space for the grease to cause drag. More drag in the gears, more cogging.

Switch to white lithium grease, it works great, and won't suck power, lets the diff gears spin free.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back