STX2 replacement suggestions needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon NC RC

Keep it fun......SEND IT
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Mojave
  4. Senton 3s
Hey folks..... while some have made do with the STX2, many have chosen to replace it with something better

For those who did, what did you chose?

For me, budget of $150 or less for tx and rx, and, less is better IF IT IS A DECENT SETUP

Gyro at that price point is ok with me (Have heard about the Dumbo RC set)

RANGE is a priority....I have some wide open spaces and now I wear glasses, so I can see pretty far..... solid at 200 yards would be sufficient

As always, THANX....you guys have helped A LOT

In my experience 200yds is a long way for most radios. My Tactic and Dumborc might make it that far, but it would be the end of their ranges. My Futaba 3PV with a booster goes at least 1000ft but that’s as far as I’ve tried as I can’t see much further on the road I make passes on due to elevation changes.

I’m also about to test out a Flysky Noble NB4 for range. They are supposed to be really good as well. Haven’t had the chance to range test it tho.

In my experience 200yds is a long way for most radios. My Tactic and Dumborc might make it that far, but it would be the end of their ranges. My Futaba 3PV with a booster goes at least 1000ft but that’s as far as I’ve tried as I can’t see much further on the road I make passes on due to elevation changes.

I’m also about to test out a Flysky Noble NB4 for range. They are supposed to be really good as well. Haven’t had the chance to range test it tho.
Thanx good sir......200 yards is worst case scenario.....hard to believe I have a place that is flat to rip that large in the mountains....which Tactic model do you run?

Thanx good sir......200 yards is worst case scenario.....hard to believe I have a place that is flat to rip that large in the mountains....which Tactic model do you run?
TTX300. You could also try the new Spektrum that’s coming with the V3 Arrma 4x4s. It’s supposedly Tactic based too.

Radiolink also has some really good budget options. Lots of functions on the radio, good range, and cheap receivers w/ built in gyro options.
Basically anything is better than those crap-ass spectrum "2" series.

I heard some people were contacting horizon and they were sending them free tactic 300 replacements cuz they know they're so bad. Might not be a bad idea to call them, but you'd still be better off with a radiolink or dumborc than one of those. They have like 0 options besides a crappy endpoint setting system. :)

Radiolink also has some really good budget options. Lots of functions on the radio, good range, and cheap receivers w/ built in gyro options.
Basically anything is better than those crap-ass spectrum "2" series.

I heard some people were contacting horizon and they were sending them free tactic 300 replacements cuz they know they're so bad. Might not be a bad idea to call them, but you'd still be better off with a radiolink or dumborc than one of those. They have like 0 options besides a crappy endpoint setting system. :)
Excellent feedback.....THANX.......was looking over radio link, dumber and tactic.....its becoming my shortlist
After a while using the new Stx3, the ttx300 is still my favorite ?
thats the stuff I need to know.....THANX
I have a dumbo radio for my senton. Pretty good I can get it abt 200-350 yards with good batteries or a 2s lipo.
Thats an excellent report for Dumbo.....you need to stop feeding Batman wasabi....;)
Excellent feedback.....THANX.......was looking over radio link, dumber and tactic.....its becoming my shortlist

Thats an excellent report for Dumbo.....you need to stop feeding Batman wasabi....;)
Dumbo RC..... stupid spell check does NOT like that name

Dumbo RC..... stupid spell check does NOT like that name
Should I change It?
:geek:

So I just received a new Dumborc receiver and tested it out. I also used a 2S 1100mah Lipo instead of the 4xAA batteries. I removed the battery tray insert to make room for the Lipo. I snipped off the tabs where the wires solder on the tray, covered the ends with shrink tubing, and shoved them back up inside the handle. You will see two prongs for a lipo inside the tray area and make sure you verify the polarity in the tray before removing it. There isn’t anything from stopping you from putting the pack in backwards. I’ve done this before on accident and it fried an old radio. On mine the positive is to the edge of the radio and negative is to the inside.

My results were much better this time. Could be just the lipo. Could be the receiver. The original one broke when I tried to adjust the gyro setting using the button. The button just fell off. Couldn’t bind it or change any settings after that.

Range was better too. Got as far down my driveway/condo road as I could safely navigate. Throttle had a minimal delay but steering seemed very responsive and no delay. Not sure why that would be any different but it’s what happened none the less.

So now I would say the Dumborc x6 has slightly more range than my tactic, but I still love the feel of the TTX300. If range is important, go Dumborc. If feel in the hand and response is more important, stock with a Tactic.

Nahhhh.....its pretty cool ......
In fact, please keep it....it cracks me up every time...
So I just received a new Dumborc receiver and tested it out. I also used a 2S 1100mah Lipo instead of the 4xAA batteries. I removed the battery tray insert to make room for the Lipo. I snipped off the tabs where the wires solder on the tray, covered the ends with shrink tubing, and shoved them back up inside the handle. You will see two prongs for a lipo inside the tray area and make sure you verify the polarity in the tray before removing it. There isn’t anything from stopping you from putting the pack in backwards. I’ve done this before on accident and it fried an old radio. On mine the positive is to the edge of the radio and negative is to the inside.

My results were much better this time. Could be just the lipo. Could be the receiver. The original one broke when I tried to adjust the gyro setting using the button. The button just fell off. Couldn’t bind it or change any settings after that.

Range was better too. Got as far down my driveway/condo road as I could safely navigate. Throttle had a minimal delay but steering seemed very responsive and no delay. Not sure why that would be any different but it’s what happened none the less.

So now I would say the Dumborc x6 has slightly more range than my tactic, but I still love the feel of the TTX300. If range is important, go Dumborc. If feel in the hand and response is more important, stock with a Tactic.
Excellent.... thanx for sharing! Will refer to this info in the future, for sure......
Super happy with mine as well.

Thanx, guys...... my budget would be maxed for just the Spektrum rx...... maybe in the future........

Last edited:
Honestly .... Anything is better than the STX2.

That appears to be quite a popular point of view....... for producing really good vehicles, wish Arrma would put in at least a decent Rx..... doesn't have to be fancy, jeeeeshhh.... a $30 Dumbo has better response and range...... at least it sounds like they are listening

Well Horizon is the parent company of Arrma and Spectrum so... Kinda stuck with them. But it is mind boggling they would change to such a crappy replacement to the ttx300. Least the ttx had freaking foam on the wheel... LoL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back