Submerged- what to do about bearings and gears?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Analyst

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hi all,

My Granite 4x4 cartwheeled down a hill into a lake. I tried to drive (paddle) it a little towards me before I could pull it out. It was probably floating for 2-3 minutes. Everything runs fine and I blew everything out with compressed air, but is there anything I should do with the bearings (oil?) and should I disassemble the gearbox/diffs and make sure it's clean/lubed?

Have a hunch it's a tough truck and I could keep sending it with no problems, but would like to take care of the investment as well.

Thanks!

You can also spray a lil WD40 to help prevent rust areas and build ups also. It won't lubricate anything, but maybe help to keep some screw heads and driveshafts/hubs from rusting up a bit. Until you do you replacement and clean up everything properly! What I've been doing with my Outcast 6S since I've been playing with it in the snow around here. :woot:

IMG_0450.JPG
One of my stock bearings over heated under normal use i will say at that point remplace all of the bearings before they cause you an issue

Oh wow, those are cheap. I'll just run it til I need bearings and replace them all at once. Thanks a lot!
That’s what I usually do.
I did a tear down of my Cheap Senton when I replaced the broken chassis and only found 1 input shaft bearing in the whole truck that needed replacement ( it was “gritty , no matter how much I sprayed it out )

I would make sure and vent the tires and get all the water out.
True that!! I was just reading about that on here! Researched a lil because I saw vent holes in rim but understood vent holes in the tires allow water to fling out. First run out with the new vents and it left a trail of water lol.

Running bad bearings risks damaging many other components. They can overheat your motor. They can melt surrounding plastics. Maybe worse. Don’t be that guy who ruined his rig because he was too lazy to grease some bearings, or at worst buy a $25 set of bearings.

True that!! I was just reading about that on here! Researched a lil because I saw vent holes in rim but understood vent holes in the tires allow water to fling out. First run out with the new vents and it left a trail of water lol.
The first time I vented my tires I stuck the Stampede in my bathtub in the house cuz it was cold outside and well let's just say that I will never do that again ?
Running bad bearings risks damaging many other components. They can overheat your motor. They can melt surrounding plastics. Maybe worse. Don’t be that guy who ruined his rig because he was too lazy to grease some bearings, or at worst buy a $25 set of bearings.
My first rc that I bought in 2015 still has the factory metal shielded bearings in the wheel hubs somehow. I can spin the front tires and they spin for like 2 minutes ?‍♂️

Lol me if i remove the driveshafts and motor module they only spin for maybe 5 secs but my bearings are all fine
2wd vehicles are weird like that my RC10B2 does that as well.

i did something similar, i took everything apart, cleaned, coated with WD40, reassembled, then coated everything with fogging oil, all in your preference honestly. picture of aftermath

Attachments

• CC617805-D222-46DC-8573-F36FA7968C4A.jpeg
    CC617805-D222-46DC-8573-F36FA7968C4A.jpeg
    553 KB · Views: 44
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back