Granite Such a headache

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO, Arrma quality control is a little suspect, including the quality of their plastics.

Arrma RTRs are always made a little bit wrong (examples: no threadlock on axles, missing motor washers, slipper set too tight, end points set wrong) and if you're not experienced, you won't realize these things until they show up as bigger problems (wheels fall off, spur gear slips, driveshafts break, servo burns out).
That's true. My servo stripped out within the first 5 runs. But now with everything properly tightened up and set in place the thing is nearly unbreakable, at least in my hands (I don't bash it that hard)

I've decided to give this truck one last try. The last time it broke I found out was my fault. I was able to find some time today to take it apart and diagnose it and turns out the loctite I put on the real wheel axel spread into the bearing and completely sealed the bearing which completely destroyed itself along with a slider driveshaft and a hub. Fun stuff. I bought everything I need to fix it, I also bought some ZD racing shocks which have very positive reviews. I also noticed that my actual driveshafts have no grease, I mean it's almost bone dry. Got everything I need but some diff oil, still trying to figure out what I want to go with for that. Once I get all the parts and do a full rebuild and maintenance I'm going to take it on a bash and let you guys know how it does. Wish me luck...

I've decided to give this truck one last try. The last time it broke I found out was my fault. I was able to find some time today to take it apart and diagnose it and turns out the loctite I put on the real wheel axel spread into the bearing and completely sealed the bearing which completely destroyed itself along with a slider driveshaft and a hub. Fun stuff. I bought everything I need to fix it, I also bought some ZD racing shocks which have very positive reviews. I also noticed that my actual driveshafts have no grease, I mean it's almost bone dry. Got everything I need but some diff oil, still trying to figure out what I want to go with for that. Once I get all the parts and do a full rebuild and maintenance I'm going to take it on a bash and let you guys know how it does. Wish me luck...
Dude, that’s great you figured it out! Enjoy your bash and don’t get frustrated if something breaks again.

I'm thinking about selling my granite. I wanna say my experience was positive but it's been terrible. Since the day I got it, it has broken every single time I use it. I don't even bash that hard. I'm very upset with it. At first it was okay because I enjoy fixing it just as much as bashing it but it's gotten to the point where I can't use it more then 5 mins before something breaks. Just overall it's been terrible. I've upgraded the arms to rpm and put typhoon turnbuckle etc but this truck will be the death of me. Is it just me?
Same for me, the diff and slipper clutch are always breaking on mine. Only gonna run 2s on it once I fix it again. I love the truck but it is a headache.

Same for me, the diff and slipper clutch are always breaking on mine. Only gonna run 2s on it once I fix it again. I love the truck but it is a headache.
Dang. I run with a fully tight slipper, no issues at all. I do run with metal spur and rear diff all metal, including yoke.

Just curious, do you have a v3 or an earlier model? I’ve broken just about every suspension component but never the drivetrain

I'm thinking about selling my granite. I wanna say my experience was positive but it's been terrible. Since the day I got it, it has broken every single time I use it. I don't even bash that hard. I'm very upset with it. At first it was okay because I enjoy fixing it just as much as bashing it but it's gotten to the point where I can't use it more then 5 mins before something breaks. Just overall it's been terrible. I've upgraded the arms to rpm and put typhoon turnbuckle etc but this truck will be the death of me. Is it just me?
Sorry to hear, I’ve only had one bad break caused by my then 7 Y.O. Grandson when he sent it 20 ft straight up and it nose-dived straight down into hard ground. A wreck. Otherwise a beast and never a problem. Hope it’s not your only truck, Arrma builds great stuff, don’t get me wrong I’ve done some epic dumb stuff. Just getting ready to rebuild my Keaton 4S from scratch. My fault totally.still love it. Good luck!

Driveshaft? If you want the u join to pop like candy why not. Grease on the axles/driveshaft is not a good idea. Grease is a dirt magnet
Break a 10x15x4 bearing take the inner race put it in the rear hub behind ur bearing. Will never break again. I run with a cracked rear hub since i did this mod i didnt have issues
Dang. I run with a fully tight slipper, no issues at all. I do run with metal spur and rear diff all metal, including yoke.
Depends on the shimming after breakdown. People say to remove the shim because its too tight. By doing so once the gears wear out there will be really poor gear contact and Its going to fail

Driveshaft? If you want the u join to pop like candy why not. Grease on the axles/driveshaft is not a good idea. Grease is a dirt magnet

Break a 10x15x4 bearing take the inner race put it in the rear hub behind ur bearing. Will never break again. I run with a cracked rear hub since i did this mod i didnt have issues

Depends on the shimming after breakdown. People say to remove the shim because its too tight. By doing so once the gears wear out there will be really poor gear contact and Its going to fail
Still have one shim behind the bearing in the crown gear side.

granite blx v3 was my first rc. Love it! upgraded just about everything on it. It's down now waiting for replacement axles from GPM. Ironically they will sell the parts by it self for 9 bucks which is a lot better than 45 for a whole new set. I love the granite, tekno shocks and just about every upgrade and yes I don't upgrade unless it breaks and it's broke a lot. But then I should drive full throttle into a curb either. the granite is a great little truck but am now in love with my 8 scale tekno mt410 ;)

Save that spur gear by cutting a hole in the chassis! Also make sure your motor plate isn't bent.
My Granite has been awesome after upgrading to a metal spur gear and cutting that hole. The only issue I was running into was snapping driveshafts but I found out that was due to using metal pads on the metal spur gear. Apparently my spur was set too tight and I couldn't get it set right with the metal pads so switched to plastic and it was all good again.

I'm also stripping input gears. Going to be upgrading to metal soon haha

I'm also stripping input gears. Going to be upgrading to metal soon haha
A Hot Racing differential yoke may help. It probably won't help with stripping input gears from landing on throttle, but it has helped with stripped input gears from hard landings. I'm also considering the metal input gear and differential, but it's out of stock right now.

A Hot Racing differential yoke may help. It probably won't help with stripping input gears from landing on throttle, but it has helped with stripped input gears from hard landings. I'm also considering the metal input gear and differential, but it's out of stock right now.
Yea I hardly land on throttle. That was something I've practiced a while ago but I mean no matter what where I bash it's almost unavoidable to stop the wheels completely before even the smallest of landings haha Something is still spinning you know what I'm sayin.

I'm gathering arrma metal diff ring gears and inputs as I find them across the internet haha!
So far I have 2 arrma metal input gears on the way, 2 arrma metal diff rings, and 4 of the plastic diff cups needed to install the diff rings. I still need 2 of each of the input and diff ring gears to complete my set for both my Typhon and Granite. So mut munee!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back