Suggestions for a motor mount for a Kraton EXB 6s and a Castle 1717

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turn2burn

Reaction score
Hello and good evening all. I have purchased a CC 1717 motor and need to mount it to my Kraton EXB. Does anyone know about how to do this, I cant use the stock right?
Iv read people using v2 mounts and some other ones but I just don't know what to do. Its a heavy motor and I need it secure. Thanks for any advice anyone might have. My searches here didnt bring back much.

The stock mount will work just fine. The 1717 has a 25mm bolt pattern just like your more typical 4074 motors. But, if you want something better, have a look at PPS mounts. They're fantastic. The offer easy mesh setting, they really lock your motor into place without the need to wrench down the screws and it's a gorgeous piece of kit. The other alternative would be the Scorched Roto-Lok. Again, outstanding mesh adjustment and control, locks the motor in place and is a sexy piece of gear. The choice is yours. :)

Edit: It should be noted that both the PPS and Scorched RC mounts aren't cheap and, depending on which version and with what options you get, you're looking at $110-130 for either of them. But they're well worth the investment imho.

The stock mount will work just fine. The 1717 has a 25mm bolt pattern just like your more typical 4074 motors. But, if you want something better, have a look at PPS mounts. They're fantastic. The offer easy mesh setting, they really lock your motor into place without the need to wrench down the screws and it's a gorgeous piece of kit. The other alternative would be the Scorched Roto-Lok. Again, outstanding mesh adjustment and control, locks the motor in place and is a sexy piece of gear. The choice is yours. :)

Edit: It should be noted that both the PPS and Scorched RC mounts aren't cheap and, depending on which version and with what options you get, you're looking at $110-130 for either of them. But they're well worth the investment imho.
What he ☝🏼 said..

Cool thanks I just read a build with the PPS and it locks the diff in too to prevent warping. Its more bling too! Not that Im into that, all about performance. I did find this on ebay which might be good for impacts since the rear isnt supported. https://www.ebay.com/itm/325283756568?var=514166732953
Yea the motor with that much torque really needs to be connected solidly to the spur gear on the diff. Im starting off with 4s packs but maybe I should consider it on the build. Ill check out Scorched RC, thanks.

Cool thanks I just read a build with the PPS and it locks the diff in too to prevent warping. Its more bling too! Not that Im into that, all about performance. I did find this on ebay which might be good for impacts since the rear isnt supported. https://www.ebay.com/itm/325283756568?var=514166732953
Yea the motor with that much torque really needs to be connected solidly to the spur gear on the diff. Im starting off with 4s packs but maybe I should consider it on the build. Ill check out Scorched RC, thanks.
I can only encourage you to take a serious look at Scorched RC components. They're absolutely top tier where performance is why they made the part and form follows function. It happens to look trick AF too. There's nothing they make that I wouldn't endorse whole heartedly. Absolutely top notch kit. You can find some of their gear at Island Hobby Nut. If they don't have it, just order it from the mothership. They constantly get in fresh inventory if something you want is out of stock and they also constantly update/modify/refine their designs. Many parts like spools, diff lockers and other have already undergone numerous revisions. They never rest and leave good enough alone.

If you do a lot of jumping, supporting the end of the can is definitely a good idea as you're bound to damage your motor mount over time.

Cool thanks, a bit too pricey for my blood, Im in the US so the conversion sucks dollars to euros. But this is the nicest piece of machining, https://scorchedparts.co.uk/product...5th-scale-motors?_pos=3&_sid=8a9bef1b1&_ss=r\
I also like the diff housing but if you get the above its pointless. How would you suggest supporting the rear of the can? Id feel bad drilling a hole back there with out a drill press. That ebay one was cheap, could glue it although I really want a mechanical connection.

Cool thanks, a bit too pricey for my blood, Im in the US so the conversion sucks dollars to euros. But this is the nicest piece of machining, https://scorchedparts.co.uk/product...5th-scale-motors?_pos=3&_sid=8a9bef1b1&_ss=r\
I also like the diff housing but if you get the above its pointless. How would you suggest supporting the rear of the can? Id feel bad drilling a hole back there with out a drill press. That ebay one was cheap, could glue it although I really want a mechanical connection.
I used a piece of rubber gasket from my ammo can lid. About 2inch piece and it fit perfectly under my hw motor. Others use thick O rings, which I have as well but what I described is working great.

The Roto-Lok is exquisite. I have one in my Hobao VTE and the mechanics, how you adjust the mesh is just a thing of beauty.
SAM_6376.JPG

I do speedrunning primarily so I don't usually see the need to put something under my motor. The only one I make an exception on (not that it's strictly necessary but this can is really long) is my TP 4080CM. I'm very much a recycler/jerry rigger so for applications like this, I'll usually just rummage around in my "stuff" bins for something that suits the purpose. I made some resin molds from silicone a few years ago and I found a plug in the shape of a cookie that fit under it perfectly. It's a tight fit, but I think that's how it should be. The silicone has a tiny bit of give to it, but generally speaking, it's really firm.
1672876925011.jpeg

Apparently, there is a guy on Facebook who goes by Bigfoot Customs who makes custom motor supports as seen on Kevin Talbot's notorious video.

Cool thanks guys, yea that is a nice looking mount and I like the idea of the adjustable set screw for mesh. For 120 the PPS looks like the way I would go but Ill check out bigfoot customs, custom always means $ however. I love the o ring idea and I did think of rtv. Thats all good for normal gravity but if you took a hit upside down I'd be worried about that motor. These power systems are sooo much more than Im used to with my 3s airplanes with 3830's. 2mm screws attached to a wooden bulkhead. Its kinda why Im so excited about the Kraton, I never really work on airplanes.

If I went for the mount I might do some other stuff while in the process, I do have to rip apart the diff anyway. But the spur gear is on my mind.
I'v really been impressed with shoe goo, until now I haven't used it but man is it amazing. I could just put a bead on the back of the motor while shimmed a little. I also was toying with the idea of putting thermal paste on the bottom of the motor and frame but I think it it would just attract dirt.

I also love going through my parts bins and using them, got some random anodized heli and quad parts, could use to mount fan. Of course Im a complete newbie. Its why I got a sensored motor in part.
Wow Bigfoot rc is way cheaper than I thought. 39 bucks! Im not sure how much better this will be than stock.
https://www.bigfootrc.com/product/channel-lock-secure-motor-mount-arrma-karton-outcast/

Cool thanks guys, yea that is a nice looking mount and I like the idea of the adjustable set screw for mesh. For 120 the PPS looks like the way I would go but Ill check out bigfoot customs, custom always means $ however. I love the o ring idea and I did think of rtv. Thats all good for normal gravity but if you took a hit upside down I'd be worried about that motor. These power systems are sooo much more than Im used to with my 3s airplanes with 3830's. 2mm screws attached to a wooden bulkhead. Its kinda why Im so excited about the Kraton, I never really work on airplanes.

If I went for the mount I might do some other stuff while in the process, I do have to rip apart the diff anyway. But the spur gear is on my mind.
I'v really been impressed with shoe goo, until now I haven't used it but man is it amazing. I could just put a bead on the back of the motor while shimmed a little. I also was toying with the idea of putting thermal paste on the bottom of the motor and frame but I think it it would just attract dirt.

I also love going through my parts bins and using them, got some random anodized heli and quad parts, could use to mount fan. Of course Im a complete newbie. Its why I got a sensored motor in part.
Wow Bigfoot rc is way cheaper than I thought. 39 bucks! Im not sure how much better this will be than stock.
https://www.bigfootrc.com/product/channel-lock-secure-motor-mount-arrma-karton-outcast/
It's actually this 3d printed one that I'm referring to. Nothing special but I'm sure it works great.

I love the 3d printing of parts but on this one Id like it to be metal with a bearing housing. The M2C one doesn't look like it will work from the video?
Like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1339806010...ZTlmZ5SNn+Tv/Ewn3Z2ccKNmog==|tkp:BFBM5qvWrrBh

or this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1953492742...Wvokg7rofo/4A9e3i9wWx5gNMj|tkp:Bk9SR-ar1q6wYQ

I don't like the flimsy attachment of the motor plate to housing. And the last link that one has only one screw holding it in place, Im not sure if thats a good idea.

I know this is a few months old thread but just in the off chance u never pulled the trigger on a motor mount be aware that u will lose the roll cage that attaches to the top of the factory mount setup such as hot racing ,gpm.etc the scorched mounts are just insane quality and beautifully built for purpose and looks but not sure if they’ve done the cage retention top and as far as quality pps is rite there with scorched (I have several of both live em ) but big thing is the mount has a top that the cage will attach too and as others have said they’re mechanically excellent and sexy af! I’m sure if u dig deep enough u can find another maker that offers the ability to keep the cage as I’m certain that you will regret not using the roll cage (I speak from experience ) the factory mount works great imo in most applications but I suggest getting the scorched (or I’m sure there’s other makers ) of the arrma motor mount 4mm mesh fastening bolts because all the arrma 6s mounts are notorious for those stripping out ….. I respond to older threads because some people are like me and Projects get put off to do other projects like I said, maybe you didn’t get them out yet I attached a picture pointing out the cage mount. Hope you’re enjoying your kraton !it is one of my favorite Riggs all around especially for bashing/stunting, and if you really want to get nasty look into m2c because if you bash Hard, you’re going to want to know this company! I’m actually about to do my first full k6 m2c beefcake build but m2c towers,shock stand offs are a must imo ! Happy bashin brother !

IMG_6510.jpeg

So I ended up with the Intavation one. Sucks as pins didn't fit for roll cage and had to ream them out. Also pushes against. Battery tray, wonder how it can take all that force when hitting upside down.
But the pins did wiggle out! I was lucky enough to catch it. Bad design with motor they don't fit and have to make holes in plastic roll cage and hard wire the pin to them. I do haven mc2 pistons but am still having some problems getting my shocks to bleed, HR caps. The motor mount makes it so quiet and I use grease as bottom hole on chassis is covered by thin metal plate.

PPS MM to me is hands down the best option. All his parts are Precision and quality is superb. Takes pride in his work. Every single part he makes.

It's better quality then the invasion on I have. Amazed the aluminum can take a hit to the cage. I do love being able to use grease. Wonder if it gets more power

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back