Suitable Servo for Arrma Granite (V2)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spook

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hi all,

I am sure this has been asked lots of times and I thought I had asked before but can't find the details....... I am in need of some advice please regarding a suitable Servo for my V2 Granite.

At the moment the servo hasn't failed but I thought I would get a better servo ready... I have already changed the radio to a Radiolink RC4GS and I am not sure if changnig the receiver has any effect on the choice of servo?

I am a little confused by the references to voltage, high voltage etc. etc. is this anything I should be concerned about and a little about the weight / kg, ie is bigger just better?

Ideally I am looking for a "good" Servo that I can just swap out with what I have without having to make modifications, I know I have a 25t servo saver which I think is a good thing, but what is a good servo to get in the UK? I am not lookig for the cheapest would rather get "better" than cheaper... without spending loads...... so I guess somewhere between £25 - £45 ish....... would be ideal.

Would really welcome your suggestions please.

Many Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Beffkkip-Dig...&qid=1618453471&sprefix=ds3235,aps,157&sr=8-6
I've been using these. Have 7 now. Not one has failed me yet. My first one is over a year old in my Kraton 6s. Beat it up good, still fine. I tried the expensive name brands like Savox and others. These DS3235 servos are just fine for bashing. Lots of torque. Especially at the pricepoint.
Make sure to adjust your Steering endpoints correctly at the radio. Or you will brick the servo and linkage. This is normally done with any new servo. And when a rig is new out the box before first used.

Good luck.:cool:

https://www.amazon.com/Beffkkip-Digital-Torque-Waterproof-Control/dp/B08KDW4757/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3F43E12NK0UXG&dchild=1&keywords=ds3235sg+servo&qid=1618453471&sprefix=ds3235,aps,157&sr=8-6
I've been using these. Have 7 now. Not one has failed me yet. My first one is over a year old in my Kraton 6s. Beat it up good, still fine. I tried the expensive name brands like Savox and others. These DS3235 servos are just fine for bashing. Lots of torque. Especially at the pricepoint.
Make sure to adjust your Steering endpoints correctly at the radio. Or you will brick the servo and linkage. This is normally done with any new servo. And when a rig is new out the box before first used.

Good luck.:cool:
Thank you I will give that a whirl......

I guess I am over thinking this, but was is the relevance / importance of the quoted voltage for servos and is this in someway selectable?

I changed the radio so I now have a Radiolink RC4GS receiver, on their webpage they state "Power supply: 4.8 ~ 10.0V DC"

When I look at Servos, they state things like "High Voltage" or "Voltage: 4.8 - 8.4v" and even speed / torque at different voltages...

So, is this something I need to match is someway?, do I need a servo that can handle up to 10v as that's what the receiver outputs? Is this settable in someway, i.e. can I set both the receiver and the servo to only operate at say 6v or 8.4v to get the most torque and speed? how do a prevent the receiver outputting 10v and damaging the servo?

Or have I got completely the wrong end of the stick with this?

Many Thanks

I guess I am over thinking this, but was is the relevance / importance of the quoted voltage for servos and is this in someway selectable?

I changed the radio so I now have a Radiolink RC4GS receiver, on their webpage they state "Power supply: 4.8 ~ 10.0V DC"

When I look at Servos, they state things like "High Voltage" or "Voltage: 4.8 - 8.4v" and even speed / torque at different voltages...

So, is this something I need to match is someway?, do I need a servo that can handle up to 10v as that's what the receiver outputs? Is this settable in someway, i.e. can I set both the receiver and the servo to only operate at say 6v or 8.4v to get the most torque and speed? how do a prevent the receiver outputting 10v and damaging the servo?

Or have I got completely the wrong end of the stick with this?

Many Thanks

That range is what the servo can handle. It will function at anything in that range. You can change the voltage that the receiver (and thus the servo) will operate using the settings on your ESC. For example, my ESC on my K6S can be set to 6V or 7.4V and I know that my receiver can run at 7.4V without issue. So I would need a servo that has your ESC voltage in that range. So if I run at 7.4V and the servo can work at 4.8V-10V, it will work fine. The more voltage, generally the more power from your servo. This does not affect the motor or anything that isn't plugged into the reciever.

The speed/power rating of servo's goes up a lot usually if it's high voltage capable when using higher voltage vs the base 6V that many are topped out at.

For example, the one @SrC linked to at 5V, it's rated for .15sec/21kg (291oz/in), but at 6.8V it's rated for .13sec/35kg (486oz/in). Which is a pretty big difference in torque output.

^^^ I know these specs are not precise, no matter the brand. That's why I tend to overshoot torque specs in my rigs. More torque the better.

At 6 volts the DS3235sg appears good enough for most applications. (32kg). Have 8 of them now.( 1 spare on the side) Of the 7 installed, inside of 2 years, haven't bricked one of them. Yet. I will, then cheap to replace.
These appear to work well enough with various brand Gyros I am using on 4 of my rigs.
The servo speed is up there and I find myself lowering the speed and adjusting the ST Exponential a bit on my radio. (7.4 volts/ Lim) But it is definitely not the fastest servo out there. Just me.

Operating voltage range: 5-7.4V Operating speed (at no load) : 0.13 sec/60 degree @5.0V
Operating speed (at no load): 0.12 sec/60 degree @6.0V
Operating speed (at no load): 0.11 sec/60 degree @ 7.4V
Stall torque (at locked): 29kg/cm @5.0V
Stall torque (at locked): 32kg/cm @6.0V
Stall torque (at locked) : 35kg/cm @7.4V
Stall current (at locked): 1.9A @5.0V
Stall current (at locked): 2.1 [email protected]
Stall current (at locked): [email protected]
Item DS3235 35KG Coreless Stainless Steel Gear Waterproof Digital Servo
Operating Voltage: 5 ~ 7.4 DC Volts
Dead brand: 3μs / 2 μs
Weight: 60 g (2.12 oz)
Motor Type: Coreless Motor
Gear Type: Copper & Aluminum / Stainless Steel & Aluminum
Working frequence: 50-333Hz
Size: 40 x 20 x 38.5 mm ( 1.58 x 0.79 x 1.50 in)

Last edited:
^^^ I know these specs are not precise, no matter the brand. That's why I tend to overshoot torque specs in my rigs. More torque the better.

At 6 volts the DS3235sg appears good enough for most applications. (32kg). Have 8 of them now.( 1 spare on the side) Of the 7 installed, inside of 2 years, haven't bricked one of them. Yet. I will, then cheap to replace.
These appear to work well enough with various brand Gyros I am using on 4 of my rigs.
The servo speed is up there and I find myself lowering the speed and adjusting the ST Exponential a bit on my radio. (7.4 volts/ Lim) But it is definitely not the fastest servo out there. Just me.

Operating voltage range: 5-7.4V Operating speed (at no load) : 0.13 sec/60 degree @5.0V
Operating speed (at no load): 0.12 sec/60 degree @6.0V
Operating speed (at no load): 0.11 sec/60 degree @ 7.4V
Stall torque (at locked): 29kg/cm @5.0V
Stall torque (at locked): 32kg/cm @6.0V
Stall torque (at locked) : 35kg/cm @7.4V
Stall current (at locked): 1.9A @5.0V
Stall current (at locked): 2.1 [email protected]
Stall current (at locked): [email protected]
Item DS3235 35KG Coreless Stainless Steel Gear Waterproof Digital Servo
Operating Voltage: 5 ~ 7.4 DC Volts
Dead brand: 3μs / 2 μs
Weight: 60 g (2.12 oz)
Motor Type: Coreless Motor
Gear Type: Copper & Aluminum / Stainless Steel & Aluminum
Working frequence: 50-333Hz
Size: 40 x 20 x 38.5 mm ( 1.58 x 0.79 x 1.50 in)
Just curious, is the one you linked the literal one you bought, same store/seller?

I had bad luck with the one DS3225 I bought a while back, would turn about 1/8th of a turn before holding, which was a lot by the time it got to the wheels. But if you have that many of the DS3235 that have held up well, I'll add one to my list for next time.

It seems that these DS3235's are just generic servos and there are several sellers for them.
I have been using the ones from Zoskay and Bekflip on AMZ. The Bekflip was like a buck cheaper and comes with 2 Alloy clamp arms instead of just one with most other DS3235's. I use the clamping arms in my Crawlers. Clamp arms cost $$ if bought by themselves. A bonus. Just food for thought.

Don't get me wrong, I have gotten many defective servos out the box, whether name brand or not. It happens. 🤷‍♂️

I had 2 AMZ Fan model 25kg (7.4v capable) servos for my Crawler and 1/10 rig. One was junk out the box. The seller returned my money and sent me 2 more on them (free) to review. And I did give a critical review. It is the first review for this FanModel servo. I have purchased several more of them for 25 kg applications. It is faster then the DS3235. Just not as strong.
The Fan Model 25 kg servo works fine in my Lim. For off road 1/8 MT's I think the gears in the DS3235 are stronger than the Fan model servos. Gear slop develops sooner with the Fan model servos in a Basher IMHO.

I also feel the DS3235 works better with a Gyro than the Fan model. FWIW. Just an observation. Gyro oscillation is more prevalent with the Fan Model 25kg servos. Harder to dial the Gyro gain just right.
Maybe has to do with faster servo speed? IDK. Frequency specs appear similar. 🤷‍♂️ I know some servos are not Gyro friendly because of the freqs.
:cool:

Edit: The basic a and obvious difference between the Fan Model and DS3235 Digital servos is that the DS3235 uses a Coreless motor. More efficient and appears to run cooler for this reason. Coreless motor servos always cost more no matter the brand.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back