Super disappointing experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zizi8862

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Outcast 4s
So I wasnt going to make a post but out of frustration I thought I'll see what you guys thinks and maybe share my experience so other don't have this issue in the future.

I bought a firma 150a esc and the 2050kv motor from Jenny's. I was seriously considering the hobbywing max6 combo with the 1650kv motor but because I just do some backyard bashing with my kraton exb I thought the cheaper spektrum option would suffice. The esc and motor was only put in thr truck mid November and had no issue. I run only 16t pinion and only light bashing.

Two days ago while doing some backyard driving the truck lost power about 5 minute in and burst into flames. It's burned through the body. Since the esc died I have no luck with any sort of warranty claim. Jenny doesn't cover HH or arrma say I based in Nee Zealand I have to contact my local dealer but the esc was bought in the United States so my hobby shop said it should be directed back at HH.

All this back and forth and blame shifting. I just feel with a two month old esc that was on fire no one actually asked what happened and with arrma being so big now I would have thought they would care about the quality of their product and would to investigate. But no just HH telling me to contact this or that place.

So I guess the lesson I learned is that to just get things from my local hobby store and that sometimes saving 20-30 bucks is not worth it as no one will help if there is a problem.

Here are some photos of my burned truck and esc.

IMG_20220111_213124.jpg

IMG_20220111_213016.jpg

IMG_20220111_195036.jpg

IMG_20220111_194823.jpg

IMG_20220111_194042.jpg

That sucks... I hope you get this sorted out. I would not have been running a 16t pinion gear with a 50t spur of that's what was being run. If you look on the RTR Kraton and not the EXB that is the speed gearing for road use and could have been pushing the ESC too far in Amp draw. I hope you can get this fixed!

So I guess the lesson I learned is that to just get things from my local hobby store and that sometimes saving 20-30 bucks is not worth it as no one will help if there is a problem.
Yes, this exactly. I never expect to get any kind of warrantee or support on anything I buy on Ebay, especially open box items. If you need support, buying local is 100% the best thing to do.

As for why it happened, no one cares because ESC's just fail sometimes. If 1 in 100 just fails in the first dozen runs, HH is fine with that because to add the quality control to make the failure rate 1:1000 would double the price of the ESC, without really making it better.

That sucks... I hope you get this sorted out. I would not have been running a 16t pinion gear with a 50t spur of that's what was being run. If you look on the RTR Kraton and not the EXB that is the speed gearing for road use and could have been pushing the ESC too far in Amp draw. I hope you can get this fixed!
I run 18 pinion and I don’t
Do light bashing blx motor and 150 firma two protek fans no issues ,I did have a limitless that the esc caught fire but I was speed running back to back

A62951B6-F2B7-4F33-881E-EB7B394299A8.jpeg

6F839D46-06A4-4712-9A10-9DB0DE8E1DF3.jpeg

Do light bashing blx motor and 150 firma two protek fans no issues ,I did have a limitless that the esc caught fire but I was speed running back to back

A62951B6-F2B7-4F33-881E-EB7B394299A8.jpeg

6F839D46-06A4-4712-9A10-9DB0DE8E1DF3.jpeg
I buy straight from HH SO WARRATY WAS NOT A PROBLEM only things I get from Jenny’s as far as electronics is servos and shocks tires stuff that’s not electronics because you save 30 bucks but no help when it goes bad .

View attachment 192687

View attachment 192688

I buy straight from HH SO WARRATY WAS NOT A PROBLEM only things I get from Jenny’s as far as electronics is servos and shocks tires stuff that’s not electronics because you save 30 bucks but no help when it goes ba
Yup I learned the hard way. So with your burned esc did HH cover under warranty. I just don't understand why they don't cover warranty for products from Jenny's.
Maybe pinion was too high I'm not sure but my temps I always make sure it's well controlled
Yes, this exactly. I never expect to get any kind of warrantee or support on anything I buy on Ebay, especially open box items. If you need support, buying local is 100% the best thing to do.

As for why it happened, no one cares because ESC's just fail sometimes. If 1 in 100 just fails in the first dozen runs, HH is fine with that because to add the quality control to make the failure rate 1:1000 would double the price of the ESC, without really making it better.
I just initially thought buying from Jenny's isn't from some random ebay seller who is doing dodgy things. Ive bought quite a few things from Jenny's and I appreciate their cheaper prices. But lesson learned not to use it for electronics

I don't believe I've EVER ran stock electronics in any of my purchased RTR's. I'm one of those "buy and unbolt" then slap in bigger stuff right off the bat!

To be honest, I wouldn't want that stock fire hazard back in my rig anyway. Even if they warrantied it free. Look at everything else it messed up! No thanks! Blessing in disguise IMO, time for the better upgrades! Good luck!

I just initially thought buying from Jenny's isn't from some random ebay seller who is doing dodgy things. Ive bought quite a few things from Jenny's and I appreciate their cheaper prices. But lesson learned not to use it for electronics
Jenny's is not a HH / Arrma authorized dealer. HH probably does not really like what they do, because it cuts into HH's high profit parts sales. Jenny's is more of a "Grey market" - legit new products, but sold in a way the mfgr does not like, so no warrantee.

I only ever buy electronics BNIB from a retailer. Even then, warranties are not guaranteed, but you still get the chance to claim, possibly even for the collateral damage. When buying effectively second hand, there is no security whatsoever

Could still hold on for a miracle with HH though so I would still persist with them, otherwise it's a shake it off situation 💪 I know it sucks, but once it's all sorted it'll be history 👍

Wow, that's a bummer Man. I learned long ago, saving a few bucks is not always the way to go. It's better to pay more for the customer service, warranty, and a near by physical outlet if problems arise such as yours. Good luck sorting thing out.

Yup I learned the hard way. So with your burned esc did HH cover under warranty. I just don't understand why they don't cover warranty for products from Jenny's.

Maybe pinion was too high I'm not sure but my temps I always make sure it's well controlled

The Spektrum Firma 150 is notorious for starting on fire.

Jenny's is a lot breaker, I use them for tons of parts, understanding that they are for all intensive purposes "used"... That being said there are tons of posts about esc fires... I wouldn't say you could blame Jenny's for it, how would they know? On the other side of it, had you bought a rig new, and the esc caught fire, probably could have gotten it covered, but maybe not. Electronics are a fickle mistress, even the highest dollar top shelf best you can get will occasionally have problems. I do agree it sucks, but I guess that's the nature of the hobby

Electronics are a fickle mistress, even the highest dollar top shelf best you can get will occasionally have problems. I do agree it sucks, but I guess that's the nature of the hobby
For the first few years I was back in the hobby, every time I was at the track with other folks, there was a Tekin RX8 v2 on fire. 🔥 Every. single. time. The older Castle Creations had the knickname Castle Cremations for all their fires...

All ESC brands have bad runs, and bad models... And bad ESC's will always slip thru the QC, because at our level, it just cost too much for 100% reliability.

Yeah even the body whatever the esc damage HH REPLACED I live in ny idk if that mayter

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back