Vorteks Surpass Hobby motor won't take Vorteks pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BulletRCs_NZ

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Senton 3s
  3. Vorteks
My Vorteks motor bearing seized and as I'm outside Nth America the supplier has refused to honour the warranty so I bought a surpass hobby motor, exact same specs as the stock spectrum motor but the Arrma pinion won't fit. Both have 5mm shafts so I'm a bit perplexed as to why it won't fit.

Do I have to file down the shaft or get a different pinion?

The SAFE-D pinion requires the flat to go all the way down the shaft and some motors don’t have that. The other issues could be the depth of the flat and if the surpass motor doesn’t have one deep enough then the pinion won’t fit. Ultimately the feature is an Arrma one designed to fit their motors and is not universal

The new version pinion gears are annoying to me a little proprietary or a mess up. the new D shaft style pinion gears simply wont fit regular motors like surpass and many other brands. I do not recommend filing down your new surpass motor due to the risk that its difficult to keep the flat part of the shaft square for the grub screw to rest on, instead buy a new pinion gear and a nice set of tools and use thread lock it will prevent headaches in the future.

The new version pinion gears are annoying to me a little proprietary or a mess up. the new D shaft style pinion gears simply wont fit regular motors like surpass and many other brands. I do not recommend filing down your new surpass motor due to the risk that its difficult to keep the flat part of the shaft square for the grub screw to rest on, instead buy a new pinion gear and a nice set of tools and use thread lock it will prevent headaches in the future.
Thanks man I already have the tools and the thread lock. I've ordered a Surpass Hobby 18t pinion so have to assume it's going to fit.

Any standard non dsafe pinion will work. I’m not a fan of the clip or the pinions…..annoying. If the pinion does not fall off it slides back into the motor if it comes loose. I would rather it just fall off. Clean the grub….add some loctite….problem solved.

Any standard non dsafe pinion will work. I’m not a fan of the clip or the pinions…..annoying. If the pinion does not fall off it slides back into the motor if it comes loose. I would rather it just fall off. Clean the grub….add some loctite….problem solved.

There's supposed to be a crush tube that goes between the motor and the pinion to keep the pinion from doing exactly what you are describing.

Personally, I like the SAFE-D system although I don't use the E-clips as I have never had a pinion slide on the shaft after proper cleaning and blue Loctite - but keying it onto the motor shaft is a nice idea - too bad it isn't universally compatible.

Crush_Tube.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like an easy set up if I don't have to worry about the clip.

Does the grub screw get tightened against the flat part of the shaft or the rounded part? The pinion I've ordered doesn't have the flat safety bit, is just fully round.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like an easy set up if I don't have to worry about the clip.

Does the grub screw get tightened against the flat part of the shaft or the rounded part? The pinion I've ordered doesn't have the flat safety bit, is just fully round.
Grub screw goes on the flat side of the motor shaft.

I use blue loctite

I always used blue on bashes.
For speed runners at 100+mph you cannot afford to have that pinion come off ;)
So true. Unless you're on a runway! 😆

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back